Our strongest starting XI?

Ellafella

8 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Right now my strongest lineup is different to everyone's because I think we should play a different formation. But the idea that Sibley and Curtis Davies aren't in our strongest lineup for some of you, absolutely baffles me. 

I think most people here seem to be suggesting a different formation to be honest, there's only a couple I've seen suggest sticking with a 4231.

Sibley absolutely should be.

Davies however.... I just don't think you can play him unless your plan is sitting deep and hitting teams on the break. His pace makes a high line or aggresive press dangerous and his ability on the ball makes any kind of passing game much harder to pull off. Also I think he's been fairing increasingly worse against physical strikers; Akinfenwa had the beating of him on saturday and isn't the first striker this season either. And when we are defending deep (again down to pace) if he's not winning these duels consistently then it gets dangerous quickly.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JW37 said:

Marshall

Byrne      Wisdom      Clarke  Buchanan

Bielik     Shinnie 

Ibe                 Lawrence          Jozwiak                                      

Waghorn

Roos, Davies, Bird, Knight, Holmes, Sibley, CKR

I still look at that side and think it should be a good one - That's a nicely balanced team for me

Might swap our Shinnie for Knight and Sibley for Lawrence though to create a proper midfield 3

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Goals win games and Lawrence (at the moment) will bring more goals to the team than Jozwiak

13 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

But Jozwiak will assist more goals.

They should both be playing, and Ibe as well when back. They're easily our best attacking players (as much as Lawrence annoys me). Lawrence should play centrally to get more shots off if they're playing 4-2-3-1. 

Striker

Jozwiak           Lawrence              Ibe

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Ibe could be the firework that starts the spark. The arrival of Mac could be a huge factor in getting Ibe back on the pitch and firing again. Mac’s 1:1 is well known in the game. 

I am still struggling to understand why you, or any Mac Fanboy, think that McClaren is going to get involved in any training or 1:1 work with any player. We have an interim manager and 3 coaches to be working with the first team players, and McClaren is employed as a Technical Director and Advisor to the incoming board.
You were advocating a few weeks back that you didn’t like groupthink, or some other nonsense, and that it was important the owner was properly advised on the strategic risks of player purchasing, and the opportunity cost of not spending money on key positions, and now, when we get someone employed to do just that you want him to undertake counselling sessions with one of our wingers. It’s muddled thinking at best.

15 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think most people here seem to be suggesting a different formation to be honest, there's only a couple I've seen suggest sticking with a 4231.

Davies however.... I just don't think you can play him unless your plan is sitting deep and hitting teams on the break. His pace makes a high line or aggresive press dangerous and his ability on the ball makes any kind of passing game much harder to pull off. Also I think he's been fairing increasingly worse against physical strikers; Akinfenwa had the beating of him on saturday and isn't the first striker this season either. And when we are defending deep (again down to pace) if he's not winning these duels consistently then it gets dangerous quickly.

Marshall plays as a sweeper keeper. Balls in behind or over the top aren't an issue. Davies also is nowhere near as slow as people try and make out. 

Pretty much an impossible task. Take your pick!

Marshall

Byrne      Clarke     Davies     Buchanan

Bielik

Sibley     Knight      
Waghorn                                         Jozwiak
                              CKR

or

Marshall

Bielik
                                    Bird
          Sibley      Knight       Jozwiak

CKR

(the only team I could fit Buchanan, Bird, Knight & Sibley all in at the same time)

or

Marshall

Wisdom  Davies   Clarke

Byrne                                     Buchanan

Bielik

Waghorn      Knight     Jozwiak

CKR

or

Marshall

Byrne     Davies     Clarke     Forsyth   

Bielik

Lawrence  Knight  Jozwiak

Waghorn  CKR

or

Something else entirely if you want Widsom , Holmes or Shinnie playing

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Jozwiak's best: 9 goals and 7 assists in all competitions
image.png.b986a53656afa2a0f5c98012bb48e9aa.png

Lawrence's seasons with better records

19/20: 10 goals
17/18: 8 assists
16/17: 11 goals, 11 assists

image.png.df06b51f1b25406a2b7331804c002fe6.png

image.png.a9c28ecc4fe132e4999694bd12450dce.png

image.png.b375f1f5eeb67f1ebe1e3e9027513dd9.png

How can you possibly compare them when they've had nothing in common. I.e, the same league, same manager, same teammates, etc,etc. you can only compare them this season, and so far Jozwiak has more assists. 

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Pretty much an impossible task. Take your pick!

Marshall

Bielik

Sibley     Knight      
Waghorn                                         Jozwiak
                              CKR

or

Marshall

Bielik
                                    Bird
          Sibley      Knight       Jozwiak

CKR

or

Marshall

Wisdom  Davies   Clarke

Byrne                                     Buchanan

Bielik

Waghorn      Knight     Jozwiak

CKR

or

Marshall

Byrne     Davies     Clarke     Forsyth   

Bielik

Lawrence  Knight  Jozwiak

Waghorn  CKR

or

Something else entirely

My vote is for the 'something else entirely'.?

Marshall

Bielik  Davies   Clarke

Byrne   Knight  Sibley  Shinnie  Buchanan  

Lawrence or Jozwiak

CKR

11 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Marshall

Bielik  Davies   Clarke

Lawrence or Jozwiak

CKR

looks solid, but considering our main problem is scoring goals, won't we need more than 2 attackers?

39 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'm fairly sure Akinfenwa has the beating of any defender physically. 

13 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Marshall

Bielik  Davies   Clarke

Lawrence or Jozwiak

CKR

Too defensive for my liking. 

8 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Marshall plays as a sweeper keeper.

You want Marshall doing that regardless.

9 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Balls in behind or over the top aren't an issue.

Oh they can be, it's part of why we keep dropping into a lower defensive line and Davies is at least partly at fault for causing that line to be dragged back.

The QPR goal was a classic example of this: 3 defenders maintaining a highline on the edge of the box, Davies drops into the box probably uncomfortable keeping the highline and plays the man on side without getting close enough to him. And it wasn't the first time it had happened in that game. Or look at Saturday how we progressively fell into a lower and lower defensive line. It's possibley tactical, it's possibley mentality but it's something you see time and time again when a defence can't back it's pace.

You would have a better argument if he was consistently and aggresively winning his battles but he just isn't. Against Wycombe he only won 30% of his aerial duels in a game that became about that in contrast Clarke was the most dominant player in the air winning 80%. Akinfenwa came on and just sat between Davies and Wisdom and was way too consistently beating them.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I'm fairly sure Akinfenwa has the beating of any defender physically. 

I mean Clarke did fine against him but ultimately with that kind of player you want to push out and play a high line so if he wins the ball it's not dropping in the box.

13 hours ago, RamNut said:

I can’t even talk about it without needing immediate medication.
ps. I don’t remember any long accurate passes. 
the fact that we swapped him for our £300k record signing, and after 23 games swapped him again for a £30k winger should tell you something.

And the instigator of that "deal", and many similar deals, was none other than......<drumroll>.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you......the one, the only.....

Tommy "The Doc" Docherty ?

And that's just one of many reasons why he will be remembered - even those who only go back to Paul Jewell - as the worst manager to have ever been in charge of Derby County.

PS Masson wasn't a winger.

If we play three at the back I think we'd want to go with

Marshall

Wisdom* Bielik Clarke

Byrne Knight Bird Buchanan

Sibley** CKR** Jozwiak**

*This could probably be Te Wieirk as well who did ok there against Bournemouth

**Rotate as needed with other forwards especially with 5 subs

If we play a back 5 you need Bielik at the heart of it, you need someone good in the air, good on the ball and with an ability to break lines by carrying the ball. All three of those centre backs have the capability to come out with the ball but Bielik is very good at it. It also helps having a centre back who can step out and aggressively win the ball back before pinging it out to the wing back.

As a midfield two you need a good balance of attributes. Ideally you want an energetic box to box player and someone who's going to sit playing passes. Knight is a ball of energy, aggresive in supporting the press, good on the ball and good at driving forward with the ball at his feet. Bird is technically and positionally excellent, his defensive work is underrated and is the most reliable player in possession we have to keep things ticking. Honestly it's the only midfield pair that I think actually makes sense aside from Bielik Bird in front of a four man defence or possibly Rooney Shinnie if he goes back to playing (although I'm not keen on that idea).

Edit: Actually the more I think about it the more I think it's what we should go with for now. I want to see a 433 and think long term it's the best option but that would likely require more coaching than the 343 which we've already used. And a 343 provides more of a safety net whilst reintroducing some players.

Marshal

Byrne.   Davies.    Clarke.  Buchanan  

Bielik    
            Knight.        Lawrence 

Ibe.                                           Kamil 

Kazim 

To a large extent it doesn't matter our strongest line up or best formation. We are just too passive in games, lack urgency, poor at pressing, strange tactics, etc,etc,

Whatever happened to the days when we used to press teams high up the pitch and force them into mistakes. It seems like our opponents do this to us most matches. 

Also, why the constant chopping and changing? We were playing Wycombe at home, why suddenly change and try to play a direct game. We should and are good enough to be passing it around them. This was one of my big dislikes about Cocu, always changing things to try stop the opponent. We should just play our way and force them to deal with it. To me it just instantly sends out a message that we are worried and puts us on the back foot. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Jozwiak's best: 9 goals and 7 assists in all competitions
image.png.b986a53656afa2a0f5c98012bb48e9aa.png

Lawrence's seasons with better records

19/20: 10 goals
17/18: 8 assists
16/17: 11 goals, 11 assists

image.png.df06b51f1b25406a2b7331804c002fe6.png

image.png.a9c28ecc4fe132e4999694bd12450dce.png

image.png.b375f1f5eeb67f1ebe1e3e9027513dd9.png

Hark at you Mr Facty McFactface. Not exactly cricket is it, when you ruin an anecdotal narrative with actual data.

Archived