Our strongest starting XI?

Ellafella

Marshall

Byrne      Wisdom      Clarke  Buchanan

Bielik     Shinnie 

Ibe                 Lawrence          Jozwiak                                      

Waghorn

Roos, Davies, Bird, Knight, Holmes, Sibley, CKR

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Common throughout the team. From those currently available, only Waghorn, Shinnie and Holmes have scored.

Jozwiak's highest scoring season was 8 in the Polish league, whereas Lawrence hit double figures last season.

In fairness though just because someone has scored more goals doesn't mean that the team will score more. I would personally prefer Jozwiak for his pace, dribbling and ability to beat his man making something happen but obviously it's good to have options.

Part of me wonders whether pushing Lawrence upfront might work and looking towards a fluid front three. Not now obviously, right now we clearly need a bit of a platform to stage the attack from until we get to a semblance of doing ok again.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Common throughout the team. From those currently available, only Waghorn, Shinnie and Holmes have scored.

Jozwiak's highest scoring season was 8 in the Polish league, whereas Lawrence hit double figures last season.

Yes indeed. Thing is with Lawrence he tends to be the “soloist” ie his goals are usually all of his own making rather than he gets on the end of someone else’s assist. Hence his lack on consistency; he blows very hot and cold and his contribution is very much mediated by his temperament. Notably Boro worked on him and his head was gone after 25 minutes. Nice thing about Holmes’s goal last Saturday was it was a 12-pass team move. 

27 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I like that and whilst I really rate Buchanan,I prefer fizzy for his ability to fozzy  great crosses into the box which would suit that front three.

Bucannan has a left peg on him too and plants a good ball in but I know what you mean, Fozzy can put that lovely fizz on it. The Fozzy Fizzer as it’s known in the World of Football. ️ 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

In fairness though just because someone has scored more goals doesn't mean that the team will score more. I would personally prefer Jozwiak for his pace, dribbling and ability to beat his man making something happen but obviously it's good to have options.

Part of me wonders whether pushing Lawrence upfront might work and looking towards a fluid front three. Not now obviously, right now we clearly need a bit of a platform to stage the attack from until we get to a semblance of doing ok again.

There's little between the two overall. Lawrence got 8 assists in his first season with us (11 in his season with Ipswich) so there's obviously more to his game than just goals from outside the area. He assisted the assister vs Wycombe as well.

If we start using our subs effectively then it'll become a redundant question. We should be rotating our wide options (Lawrence, Jozwiak, Waghorn and Whittaker, and Ibe when fit), with them putting everything they have into their game time. 60 minutes for the starters, 30 for the subs

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's little between the two overall. Lawrence got 7 assists in his first season with us (9 in his season with Ipswich) so there's obviously more to his game than just goals from outside the area. He assisted the assister vs Wycombe as well.

If we start using our subs effectively then it'll become a redundant question. We should be rotating our wide options (Lawrence, Jozwiak, Waghorn and Whittaker, and Ibe when fit), with them putting everything they have into their game time. 60 minutes for the starters, 30 for the subs

Ibe could be the firework that starts the spark. The arrival of Mac could be a huge factor in getting Ibe back on the pitch and firing again. Mac’s 1:1 is well known in the game. 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's little between the two overall. Lawrence got 7 assists in his first season with us (9 in his season with Ipswich) so there's obviously more to his game than just goals from outside the area. He assisted the assister vs Wycombe as well.

Oh I don't disagree that Lawrence can't create, I just think Jozwiak is quicker and a better ball carrier and therefore more likely to create teams problems.

Your second point is completely correct. Wingers/Wide forwards blow hot and cold at this level for the most part and it's important to have a group to rotate between.

Archived