Our strongest starting XI?

Ellafella

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Interesting @Carl Sagan. Jury is still out for me on Bielik; His size is both an advantage and a disadvantage. 
Kazim looks far better than Wagga; who would be your number 9? 

Don't laugh, but here's my team. With a few gambles.

1907989811_20201130Bestlineup.JPG.a336efba3d5c43cef6f284f9ddbba561.JPG

Note the ideal team also plays with blue shorts and red numbers.

To solve the central striker issue I'm taking a fully fit power house with pace and an eye for goal by the name of Jordon Ibe.

For me the other two questions are the full backs. I want energy, lots of energy. Buchanan's best is niw better than Fozzy's best, so I'm giving him the nod,. I'm not convinced by any of our right backs. In fact, I nearly chose Festy Ebosele. But Holmes has skill, energy and drive and has played their before, so he was the last name on the teamsheet.

Waggy was another tough call, as he lacks technique, but at his best he offers a decent threat and works hard down the right-hand side.

Unlucky to miss out is Max Bird. And at his best Tom Lawrence can be good. Also, I want options on the bench of Duncan, Whittaker, Stretton and Hector-Ingram. Shinnie merits the bench for his attitude.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall

Byrne   te Wierik   Clarke   Buchanan

Bielik*

Knight*   Sibley*

Waghorn**   Kazim   Lawrence**

* Rotation including Bird and Holmes

** Rotation with Whittaker, Jozwiak and Ibe (primarily left footed on the right, right footed on left)

We need a better RB, potentially 2 CBs by the start of next season and a CF - the latter being the most crucial.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

To solve the central striker issue I'm taking a fully fit power house with pace and an eye for goal by the name of Jordon Ibe.

For me the other two questions are the full backs. I want energy, lots of energy. Buchanan's best is niw better than Fozzy's best, so I'm giving him the nod,. I'm not convinced by any of our right backs. In fact, I nearly chose Festy Ebosele. But Holmes has skill, energy and drive and has played their before, so he was the last name on the teamsheet.

Waggy was another tough call, as he lacks technique, but at his best he offers a decent threat and works hard down the right-hand side.

Unlucky to miss out is Max Bird. And at his best Tom Lawrence can be good. Also, I want options on the bench of Duncan, Whittaker, Stretton and Hector-Ingram. Shinnie merits the bench for his attitude.

It’s an interesting one @Carl Sagan. Holmes does bring energy and fast breaks and goals when he gets forward. However, he’s very light-weight and his batteries run very low very quickly. He also lacks power. He’s like a modern -day electric car - good when fully charged but he’s not got the full 90 minutes in him. I suspect Bielik would be dragged over to cover for Holmes and our shape would suffer. 
Ibe up front is a good call. The one thing he has got is a great shot and an instinct for goal. However, Wagga on the right is a problem for me. He always cuts inside and he just can’t pass the ball any more than a short range. After quite a jury-deliberation, I’m afraid I struggle to see Waghorn anyway near the first XI. He is a battler, but too often he’s anonymous and his heat maps suggest he’s a one-bar electric fire on a Siberian day. Same conclusion for Lawrence - mildly effective but his flawed temperament means that there’s no place for him either. 1C4EEA1B-043B-45D9-9920-0496C65D8232.thumb.jpeg.e10814110f973f5a6e00b0583dc87a11.jpeg

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

So many strange things on here.

1) People writing off Sibley

2) Folk believing Ibe will be a world beater despite having not played in a year.

3) @RamNutplaying Knight as a holding midfielder -  at least play a player to his strengths 

4) Anyone playing Lawrence lol

I haven’t played knight as a holding midfielder. 

My best X1 

Marshall 

wisdom Davies Clarke Forsyth 

Knight Bird sibley 

waghorn   Richards.  Jozwiak 

the back four on defensive abilities  - yes bryne and Buchanan come in when we want to be more attacking ( Buchanan will be very good ) or the others have to move to centre half 

midfield is our future so play them - Bird will lose his place on occasions to Belick and Evans 

attacking wise Waghorn is still needed whilst Richards is incredibly short term and jozwiak gives us variety - yes I am done with Lawrence out of sheer frustration and he needs to be sold whilst Holmes is similar to Lawrence in that he doesn’t mark his man losses the ball consistently and gives so many fouls away and fails to actually produce anything positive apart from maybe twice a season - not the future so sell while we might get something. In terms of IBE I am expecting nothing as he hasn’t played any football for two years.

Rooney can cover a lot of gaps if needed. 

the centre forward position is so vital in terms of bringing others into play especially our midfielders - even an ageing Martin would have contributed team wise and I am sure we would have about another 8 points this season if he had been still here but he left and we didn’t replace him. If we get relegated we will need Marriott in league one 

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

My best X1 

Marshall 

wisdom Davies Clarke Forsyth 

Knight Bird sibley 

waghorn   Richards.  Jozwiak 

the back four on defensive abilities  - yes bryne and Buchanan come in when we want to be more attacking ( Buchanan will be very good ) or the others have to move to centre half 

midfield is our future so play them - Bird will lose his place on occasions to Belick and Evans 

attacking wise Waghorn is still needed whilst Richards is incredibly short term and jozwiak gives us variety - yes I am done with Lawrence out of sheer frustration and he needs to be sold whilst Holmes is similar to Lawrence in that he doesn’t mark his man losses the ball consistently and gives so many fouls away and fails to actually produce anything positive apart from maybe twice a season - not the future so sell while we might get something. In terms of IBE I am expecting nothing as he hasn’t played any football for two years.

Rooney can cover a lot of gaps if needed. 

the centre forward position is so vital in terms of bringing others into play especially our midfielders - even an ageing Martin would have contributed team wise and I am sure we would have about another 8 points this season if he had been still here but he left and we didn’t replace him. If we get relegated we will need Marriott in league one 

That back four couldn't even keep a clean sheet against Wycombe...

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

If Shinnie and knight are to play the holding roles, then Shinnie should be on the left and knight on the right.

Shinnie on the left should offer cover for an attacking left back so that might work better with Buchanan. 

knight is a clever player and could push further forward if necessary.
wisdom wouldn’t make my best 11.Not that anyone has really grabbed that centre back spot.

Swap Ibe and Jozwiak over too? Wide left is a problem position for us. 

i do think knight and Sibley together are the key to building a new team.

look back at that Leeds semi, and the way Mount and Wilson were constantly driving us forward (with Johnno holding). Knight and Sibley could do that - if they’re ever given the chance to. They are two players who always want the ball, never hide, and always look to attack and be positive.

I was remembering this post @RamNut but when checking, it was only in response to someone else. Please accept my apologies.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marshall

Byrne   te Wierik   Clarke   Buchanan

Bielik*

Knight*   Sibley*

Waghorn**   Kazim   Lawrence**

* Rotation including Bird and Holmes

** Rotation with Whittaker, Jozwiak and Ibe (primarily left footed on the right, right footed on left)

We need a better RB, potentially 2 CBs by the start of next season and a CF - the latter being the most crucial.

This apart from swap Lawrence for Jozwiak.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I suggested Ibe up top previously. Wisdom for Davies and Byrne right back and not too far away from my team....

The fact people are keeping Byrne out their sides baffles me. He's been one of the few stand-out performers surely? 

Also have to see Sibley starting every week. He always looks hungry and makes things happen. Him and Knight in centre midfield with one  DM, which for me should be Shinnie and Bird rotating. Having the two youngsters in midfield is a risk given their lack of experience, but they always show desire and I feel we need that more than ever right now... 

I'd also be playing Bielik at CB, I don't think he's mobile enough for the holding midfielder role but looks class as a ball-playing defender.

It's a difficult question, I don't think anyone knows what the best team is. Whilst we're in a relegation battle I'd go with more experience like we did on Saturday. The youngsters need to be taken out of the firing line. Davies and Forsyth were both solid and provided a bit of leadership on the field that we've massively lacked. 

For Coventry I'd go:

Marshall

Wisdom       Davies      Clarke        Forsyth

Bielik

Shinnie       Holmes

Jozwiak               Cazim        Lawrence

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Common throughout the team. From those currently available, only Waghorn, Shinnie and Holmes have scored.

Jozwiak's highest scoring season was 8 in the Polish league, whereas Lawrence hit double figures last season.

I think both Jozwiak and Lawrence goal tally's are hindered greatly by their inability to use both feet they can be to predictable which doesn't help assist's either. 

Archived