v Wycombe (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

4 minutes ago, Xlor said:

I think they are exactly the reason we're in this mess. All overated, all played alot of minutes, bottom of the league. Too naive sometimes and they've cost us recently 

it's just that we relied too much on the youth for the first team. Youth is important but they cannot make the majority of your squad. Theres a reason you see mid-lower prem league clubs u23s getting a spanking by the likes of Sunderland in the FA Trophy.

It's quite literally men's against boys, I don't think they're overrated but they needs to be a smooth progression and integration and not a bulk influx.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually can't believe how well CKR played in that first half. He and Sibley were excellent.

Other than that it hasn't been some miraculous turn around and it hasn't been a particular great performance by any regard. It's very back to basics and very disciplined; probably what we needed today and what Rooney has alluded to in some interviews.

Still another 45 minutes to go though...

We really need a second to kill this game off and set the platform for the games to come.

It’s all about game management from here. Wycombe have lost 5 out of 6 games away from home, so it would be desperately disappointing if we don’t see this game out.

But dare we say, green shoots...

It sounds like it's been a much better first half. CKR is getting the ball and making it stick. This gives us a platform for the midfield to get up and offer an attacking threat. Wycombe sound pretty shocking though and they are in and around where we are so I'm not getting too excited yet. We need to keep pushing for a second and finally get a win. 

Just now, angieram said:

Everyone is rightly remarking on the difference that CKR is making, but the fact that we are getting the ball upfield much more quickly is just as important.

Keep it up, lads!

This^^^
The tip tapping sideways, backwards, ponderous slow play has screwed us all season, finally a different way, okay its not passing through the zones but its getting it wide quickly and getting the ball in the middle.... much much better.

Good first half that. Was worried during the 1st 10 minutes that Rooney's plan was to just go full on hoof ball but we settled down shortly after and got playing some good stuff.

Clarke was fantastic at the back.

Forsyth was good, particularly going forward and put in a few decent balls towards CKR.

Shinnie worked hard, but it again raises the question why he's had to wait so long for game time when he was 1 of the better players during the earlier parts of the season.

Holmes was good and thankfully didn't do the Lawrence/Waghorn celebration of putting his fingers in his ears to 'silence the doubters.' I think he accepts he's not been good enough of late.

Lawrence made better decisions when in the final 3rd and it lead to the goal.

CKR has been brilliant. Someone (sorry, didn't see who and too lazy to go searching) in here mentioned he's like Martin without the falling over as much and that's a great description based off of today's performance so far. Lovely link up and was pushing the team on both vocally and with his actions. It's only Wycombe so it's hard to take much from it, but hopefully we've found the striker we need until we can bring in another option in January.

Sibley, like Shinnie, has shown yet again why fans have been puzzled with his lack of chances recently. He's our most talented player and it does little good giving him just 10 and 15 minutes spells here and there to impact games.

1 minute ago, Retro_RAM said:

it's just that we relied too much on the youth for the first team. Youth is important but they cannot make the majority of your squad. Theres a reason you see mid-lower prem league clubs u23s getting a spanking by the likes of Sunderland in the FA Trophy.

It's quite literally men's against boys, I don't think they're overrated but they needs to be a smooth progression and integration and not a bulk influx.

Our current U23s are 2nd in the league. These 'kids' in our first are significantly better than those at U23 level so not quite as extreme as you're making out.

Archived