January 2021 transfer thread

B4ev6is

On 27/12/2020 at 22:17, Tyler Durden said:

Not having a dig at you but I will be amazed if any club would be willing to pay a transfer free for MTW. Best thing about the whole deal was that he was free.

With 4 Dutch clubs after him and under contract to Derby, trust me there will be a transfer fee. I doubt it will massive but what ever it is, it's profit for the club.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll be honest, I’m not clear what his situation is, (injured?), but Ryan Shawcross doesn’t seem to be in O’Neil’s first 11 plans. 
It feels a little ridiculous to suggest it, but given that we’ve had Ashley Cole and Rooney play for us......Cheeky loan bid for Shawcross til the end of the season? Understand he’s not the ball player...but.....? Him and Dursun would add quality where we need it.

4 minutes ago, biellaram said:

I’ll be honest, I’m not clear what his situation is, (injured?), but Ryan Shawcross doesn’t seem to be in O’Neil’s first 11 plans. 
It feels a little ridiculous to suggest it, but given that we’ve had Ashley Cole and Rooney play for us......Cheeky loan bid for Shawcross til the end of the season? Understand he’s not the ball player...but.....? Him and Dursun would add quality where we need it.

Shawcross is finished. Just can't stay injury free for any length of time. The best to expect from him is for him to come on to close games out. Given his wages, that's a lot of money for such a role.

As what we actually need is an improvement on Wisdom, someone who allows us to play a high line, we need someone who has a bit of pace about them.

11 minutes ago, biellaram said:

Potters mate says he is nowhere near the player he was...

10 minutes ago, biellaram said:

Horrible, horrible player. I take your point and in some ways it's a good shout but given the way he's spent his career trying to break other players' legs, I'm guessing there might not have been too much sympathy for him in certain quarters when he went and broke his own. 

I'd really like us to try and get a young and improving CB to be honest. Someone who could improve enough to be a viable option in the Prem. Hopefully the takeover might allow us a loan-to-buy option on someone suitable.

Also, and somewhat remarkably, I've found something I on which I agree with @DCFC27 - Vyds was class under Rowett but I really can't see how he fits into the current set-up. He needs a team built around him to prosper and while that might happen at Champ level, hopefully we're still looking to push onwards and upwards, in which case, he doesn't offer enough other than goals. He's also looked a shadow of himself when played most recently so it'd be a 'no' from me.

Dursun and Juncker, both of whom we're linked with, seem better options. I also think Keinan Davis would suit the current style well. I'm sure Wazza will have someone in mind in an case, but it's highly unlikely to be Vyds.

35 minutes ago, biellaram said:

Happy to have been corrected about Shawcross...just can’t think which CH we could go for....

Not corrected buddy. Me not liking him as a player is not the same thing as him not being able to do a job for us. As I said, I can see your thinking and a few weeks back I'd have been singing a different tune. With us looking solid defesively right now, I think we can maybe be a little more ambitious is all, but it's an opinion not a fact ?

10 hours ago, plymouthram said:

With 4 Dutch clubs after him and under contract to Derby, trust me there will be a transfer fee. I doubt it will massive but what ever it is, it's profit for the club.

I guess I've set my expectations so low after previous gargantuan losses on transfer fees paid for players that a 50k fee for MTW would seem like a kings ransom.

Think we need 3-4 players.

1-2 Centre-backs.  With MTW on his way out, Clarke on loan, and Wisdom having six months left, this is critical. An injury here would be a disaster for us.

1 Winger - Ibe isn't looking promising, Lawrence is poor 90% of the time, and think we need someone who can truly compliment Jozwiak...sure Rooney can find someone here.

1 CF - If there is any way we can get Dursun then it does seem like he would fit all the boxes.  We have a lot of young forwards, but remains to be seen if any will really kick on at senior level.  What is happening with Bobby Duncan?

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not corrected buddy. Me not liking him as a player is not the same thing as him not being able to do a job for us. As I said, I can see your thinking and a few weeks back I'd have been singing a different tune. With us looking solid defesively right now, I think we can maybe be a little more ambitious is all, but it's an opinion not a fact ?

?? Cheers mate. I only really suggested him because I was watching Stoke v F*r*st. Looks like it’ll have to be Phil Jones then! ? 

34 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Think we need 3-4 players.

1-2 Centre-backs.  With MTW on his way out, Clarke on loan, and Wisdom having six months left, this is critical. An injury here would be a disaster for us.

1 Winger - Ibe isn't looking promising, Lawrence is poor 90% of the time, and think we need someone who can truly compliment Jozwiak...sure Rooney can find someone here.

1 CF - If there is any way we can get Dursun then it does seem like he would fit all the boxes.  We have a lot of young forwards, but remains to be seen if any will really kick on at senior level.  What is happening with Bobby Duncan?

Just because I think money will be tight, I’d go for 1 CH...hopefully we’ve already had that injury with Davies. Evans can be the 4th CH if we get another in.

Agree completely re your comments about a winger to complement Joz. Ideally Ibe replaces Waghorn (winger version) and the new winger replaces Lawrence. Sibbo (starter) and New on left, Joz (starter) and Ibe on right. Too idealistic based on Ibe’s current situation, but a new winger nonetheless.

I have a feeling, not ITK, that the deal for Dursun was done and dusted but not submitted, to give them time to find a replacement. Hence, hopefully, he’s ok to sign in Jan as he will have registered himself in UK in time to beat the new points system. Looks like a good fit for us - albeit only from videos.

9 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

We need to be making signings at the beginning/middle of January not leave it till the last few days when we might be panic buying. 

How many years have we said that whether it be summer or January?

I can only think of a handful of occasions where we've done any decent business early, sadly the two words in the same sentence are mutually exclusive to us regards buying players. 

Have you considered that there might be dependencies such as shifting players either for a fee or off the payroll before we can bring any in?

3 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

We need to be making signings at the beginning/middle of January not leave it till the last few days when we might be panic buying. 

And here’s the rub of the takeover not being completed.

I’d be very surprised to see any signings before the ownership is resolved. For that reason alone it will be interesting to see who Dursun has signed up for come 01 January.

Archived