January 2021 transfer thread

B4ev6is

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not denying that he could improve our team. If we could have him for a full season, I'm sure he would help us finish in the top 6. What I do doubt is him coming in being the difference between where we would finish and us sneaking in at 6th place. We'd need to be the top side for half of the season to sneak in at 6th on the final day. In terms of points per game, we'd need to be as good as Leeds were last season, when they won the league. Is Gilmour so good, that we suddenly become that side?
Meanwhile, I am absolutely certain that we have the players already at the club who can help us avoid relegation.

If we don't get any injuries. We are Bielik or Knight getting injured away from being in a relegation scrap all season.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought we had moved past signing players incase of injuries ?

As we also need to rotate we need 4 players good enough for 3 positions. He also offers an additional passing ability and creativity which would mean getting more out of players like Jozwiak.

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Apparently Vydra on his way out of Burnley in January ?

Hmm. 

If he could re-find his form I'd say yes, without a doubt. 

3 goals in 40 games for Burnley is a long way from 'form'. 

He is the type of player who would benefit from late runs into the box for drag backs and lay-offs. 

14 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Hmm. 

He is the type of player who would benefit from late runs into the box for drag backs and lay-offs. 

A tad harsh on him. He's only started 9 games for them.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Hmm. 

A silly stat that is much like the often used Bennett ones here - he has hardly been on the pitch in terms of minutes 

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Hmm. 

6 goals and 4 assists in 50 game in all competitions.

However, that was just 1894 minutes of actual football, the equivalent to just 21 games. 1 goal contribution every other game, or a goal every 3.5 games.

Premier League only, he's scored 3 in 1290 minutes for Burnley. An average of 1 goal every 4.8 games of football.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

6 goals and 4 assists in 50 game in all competitions.

However, that was just 1894 minutes of actual football, the equivalent to just 21 games. 1 goal contribution every other game, or a goal every 3.5 games.

Premier League only, he's scored 3 in 1290 minutes for Burnley. An average of 1 goal every 4.8 games of football.

Cheers Statto ?

On 20/12/2020 at 17:32, DCFC27 said:

would be amazing if we could get Phil Jones in

will be very telling to see if WR has pulling power with ManU.   Big Sam wants Jones. WR is worshipped as a footballer in Manchester but apparently Ferguson was so outraged by his agent's antics over the years that the bond between WR and ManU is not strong. Not like Lampard and Chelsea. We will see     Pogba is loose apparently  ?  

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

will be very telling to see if WR has pulling power with ManU.   Big Sam wants Jones. WR is worshipped as a footballer in Manchester but apparently Ferguson was so outraged by his agent's antics over the years that the bond between WR and ManU is not strong. Not like Lampard and Chelsea. We will see     Pogba is loose apparently  ?  

I always feel it’s down to the player in scenarios like this. Jones might feel he wants to prove himself at the highest level still.
On the flip side there are some players and managers that want to test themselves in the championship as it has a reputation around Europe for being the most difficult league in the world. 
I’d say if Big Sam comes in for him he’s going there. Big Sam tends to make very smart signings and identifies them early to the board as priority’s to keeping them up. Burnley doesn’t sound a great prospect as Sean Dyche has a habit of signing good players and not playing them, they already have a really good partnership there so he’d be cover. 
Let’s hope WBA aren’t interested and we might have a chance.

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

I always feel it’s down to the player in scenarios like this. Jones might feel he wants to prove himself at the highest level still.
On the flip side there are some players and managers that want to test themselves in the championship as it has a reputation around Europe for being the most difficult league in the world. 
I’d say if Big Sam comes in for him he’s going there. Big Sam tends to make very smart signings and identifies them early to the board as priority’s to keeping them up. Burnley doesn’t sound a great prospect as Sean Dyche has a habit of signing good players and not playing them, they already have a really good partnership there so he’d be cover. 
Let’s hope WBA aren’t interested and we might have a chance.

agree with much of what you say. But if a Big Sam had wanted Mason Mount, he would still have come to Pride Park

Few have said it already. Key for this window is to make sure the squad has enough to survive comfortably without spending lots on players that are not going to be more than 1-2 year players for us. We need a goalscorer and a centre back. I would be happy with us signing loan players, as long as they are of a certain quality and they don't cost a lot financially.

It is important, where possible, for us to keep costs down at the minute to keep us financially trending upwards. I am still unsure (like everyone) as to how we are going to benefit financially from the supposed takeover when we still have FFP issues hanging over us. Spending large amounts this window, especially on loans, might not be the most sensible.

Archived