January 2021 transfer thread

B4ev6is

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well it should be Mel as he's the owner currently. Hopefully the new owners will have agreed a transfer budget for January - as an expected expenditure?

Hope so otherwise yet another problematic transfer window....not that I am expecting much ?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Vydra not in the Burnley squad again today would take him back in a heartbeat 

Who does he replace in the current team though?

We'd have to change systems again to fit him in, because he doesn't often create his own chances or chances for others.

We need everyone out on that pitch to contribute as much as possible to our overall performances as a team, we can't afford to carry anyone.

16 hours ago, wollatonram said:

Looking at the lower leagues for strikers there are actually very few options for us to explore, we would have to go abroad which i have no problem with if they are good enough.

i will honestly be happy with somebody like jutkiewicz

we need bodies though

I suspect we're not going to have sufficient funds to recruit players from abroad that will have sufficient 'points' to meet the new immigration criteria.

So I'm going to suggest Max Watters at Crawley.  Joined from non-league after the season started and has smashed 16 in 17 games.  In the league he's averaging 1.14 goals per 90 mins.  He's 21 years old, 5'11" and lightning quick.

There's a few teams apparently looking at him but given our reputation for giving youth a chance we could well tempt him and with the Covid impact on lower league clubs finances he could well be within our budget.  Something, something the new Vardy / Watkins.

13 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Who does he replace in the current team though?

We'd have to change systems again to fit him in, because he doesn't often create his own chances or chances for others.

We need everyone out on that pitch to contribute as much as possible to our overall performances as a team, we can't afford to carry anyone.

If he gets you 10/15 goals again he’s worth changing the system for, I personally think he’s more creative and carries more of an attacking threat than anyone we currently have in our team. 

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

If he gets you 10/15 goals again he’s worth changing the system for, I personally think he’s more creative and carries more of an attacking threat than anyone we currently have in our team. 

An OAP in a zimmer frame has got more attacking threat then anyone in our team.

It's absolutely shameful that as a club we have contrived to get into this position.

I'd also be on the phone to Southampton for Josh Sims.  He's on loan at Doncaster until the 16 January and has played a key role in their good run in League One.  Has played for England at u17 to u20 levels, has EPL and Europa League experience.

23 years old, 5'9", creative with electric pace and plays wide right.  Out of contract in the summer, I'd be asking for a cut price permanent deal. 

5 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I suspect we're not going to have sufficient funds to recruit players from abroad that will have sufficient 'points' to meet the new immigration criteria.

So I'm going to suggest Max Watters at Crawley.  Joined from non-league after the season started and has smashed 16 in 17 games.  In the league he's averaging 1.14 goals per 90 mins.  He's 21 years old, 5'11" and lightning quick.

There's a few teams apparently looking at him but given our reputation for giving youth a chance we could well tempt him and with the Covid impact on lower league clubs finances he could well be within our budget.  Something, something the new Vardy / Watkins.

If Watters started poorly for us I have a good idea what his nickname would be ???

1 hour ago, Rammed79 said:

Siriki dembele- we should have snapped him up when he took the piss out of our defence while at grimsby in that cup game couple years back now at Peterborough. 

I've said before now that sod the Brentford model, we should just track Posh targets and gazump them. Toney went to them for £370K, Marriott for £500k and Dembele on a free!!! We should nick their scouts while we're at it. They certainly know a goal scorer when they see one!

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I've said before now that sod the Brentford model, we should just track Posh targets and gazump them. Toney went to them for £370K, Marriott for £500k and Dembele on a free!!! We should nick their scouts while we're at it. They certainly know a goal scorer when they see one!

Is that because Peterborough's model is to snap up young strikers and set the team up to showcase them?

Possibly at the expense of the team overall, they know they can't compete higher up financially, so settle for a model which brings income, in the form of annual striker sales to the Championship instead.

Assombalonga, Marriott, Toney (I'm fairly sure I'm leaving some out) etc, maybe all would struggle if their moves had been into a Championship squad initially?

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

Is that because Peterborough's model is to snap up young strikers and set the team up to showcase them?

Possibly at the expense of the team overall, they know they can't compete higher up financially, so settle for a model which brings income, in the form of annual striker sales to the Championship instead.

Assombalonga, Marriott, Toney (I'm fairly sure I'm leaving some out) etc, maybe all would struggle if their moves had been into a Championship squad initially?

Precisely that would be my guess. I think they pretty much blow their entire budget on strikers which probably explains why they regularly top the scoring charts but never get promoted. 

I feel that the club will loan out Whittaker, due to him not getting much 1st team selection of late and that includes being in the match day squad. Dutch Mike will go, hopefully for a fee, so we make some money from that free transfer (that never worked out). Could see George Evans moving on (either loan or perm/transfer). A decent centrehalf could be beyond our budget, so I see a loan coming in. Other priority is a striker, this needs to be a transfer deal, a gamble with a newbie thats doing well with his club. Only 2 spring to my mind that might be cheapish buys and could turn out to be future gems. Kevin Nisbet at Hibs, they only paid £260k for him in the summer. Could tempt him away with a £500k offer plus one of our young strikers in a loan deal. The other lad thats come to my notice is Wales youth international Luke Jephcott at Plymouth Argyle, will be 21 in January and is getting better and better every game.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

£3m for Washington to QPR, £2m Tomlin to Boro, £5m Gayle to Palace.

They also sold quite a few from their spell in the Championship, getting £7m for Mackail-Smith, Bennett and McLean.

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

£3m for Washington to QPR, £2m Tomlin to Boro, £5m Gayle to Palace.

They also sold quite a few from their spell in the Championship, getting £7m for Mackail-Smith, Bennett and McLean.

Gayle was the one I couldn't think of, thanks.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

I feel that the club will loan out Whittaker, due to him not getting much 1st team selection of late and that includes being in the match day squad. Dutch Mike will go, hopefully for a fee, so we make some money from that free transfer (that never worked out). Could see George Evans moving on (either loan or perm/transfer). A decent centrehalf could be beyond our budget, so I see a loan coming in. Other priority is a striker, this needs to be a transfer deal, a gamble with a newbie thats doing well with his club. Only 2 spring to my mind that might be cheapish buys and could turn out to be future gems. Kevin Nisbet at Hibs, they only paid £260k for him in the summer. Could tempt him away with a £500k offer plus one of our young strikers in a loan deal. The other lad thats come to my notice is Wales youth international Luke Jephcott at Plymouth Argyle, will be 21 in January and is getting better and better every game.

Not having a dig at you but I will be amazed if any club would be willing to pay a transfer free for MTW. Best thing about the whole deal was that he was free.

9 hours ago, YouRams said:

What position would you play him in and in what formation?

TBF he has had 3 good seasons in 10 years, so may be due another good one soon.  

1 hour ago, sage said:

What position would you play him in and in what formation?

TBF he has had 3 good seasons in 10 years, so may be due another good one soon.  

He’d be my CAM/#10 in a Mac like 433 with Knight and Bielik behind him, Jozwiak one side Ibe the other and big Dursun up top, goals everywhere. 

Archived