POLL: Mel selling Derby County FC

Mostyn6

POLL: Would you rather Mel Morris sold the club? or remained as owner?  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't quite believe we are getting into this.

I've got my lower league local club for those,homely,owned by a local builder,don't they try hard,Bovril drinking plucky half amateur football moments paid for on a shoestring....makes your heart glow doesn't it. 

However,i'd quite like my proper grown up team to be playing the top clubs of Europe,with the best players we can afford and being talked about on the t.v for our superb football instead of just the nonsense we have become known for lately.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a bit of a false question really, because there really isn’t any choice. Mel has made it pretty clear that he doesn’t want to put any more money into the club, which is absolutely understandable given the amount of his wealth he’s already ploughed in. Not many can afford to run a championship club for long. But, like all clubs, we need investment if we’re going to get anywhere. So, simply put, we need new ownership if we want to achieve our goals, as much as I’d like Mel to stay since he’s a proper local lad. The good thing with this takeover is it seems like Mel will be sticking around in some capacity, and I really hope we get promoted under the new ownership with him still a part of it - he deserves it given the effort he’s put in over the last few years. Just have to hope these new owners really do have the funds to take us up a level.

In terms of the second question, it depends what sort of “methods” we’re talking about. If we’re talking about doping, bribery etc then obviously I want no part of that. But I really don’t care if we reach the top by spending big and finding loopholes in the stupid FFP rules - that’s pretty much what we’ve been doing anyway. Getting promoted with a loaf of academy lads sounds great, but I don’t care how we go it - even if it’s a load of highly paid mercenaries. I want to see Derby win.

Of course I want to see Derby at the high table, winning games, playing in Europe. I want a Porsche as well.

but there is a part of me that cares deeply how things are achieved. It’s old fashioned but it’s more than winning and losing it’s how you play the game. That’s on and off the field too.

10-20 million a year to support trading losses on top of investment in buying the club and improving its facilities is a big deal even for Mel. He has been a godsend. Whatever he does, he has my vote, end of ramble 

Second question is a mix of both for me.

Id be proud of the club if we were successful regardless of methods. So id have a club were proud of & im not too bothered how we achieve success. 

If an owner wants to spend a billion pounds on players to win us a Premier league & get European football then i have no issues. 

I imagine most wouldn't be bothered in how we achive success but wont admit it.

when the potential option are watching sibley play through balls to neymar when were in a champions league final in a few years or still be in the championship going through out 9th rebuild. I know what id choose. 

I'd love Mel to stay in charge and reap the rewards of what he's put in, nevertheless I will trust him if he sells up and believes he's found a guy that will take this club on to the next level. It's completely up to his decision. I won't be upset if this deal doesn't go through and I will be happy if it does, because if it does then he's clearly found someone to pass the reigns on to. 

I'm positive he will continue to be a positive figure around the club and will be fondly remembered by almost everyone. I don't think many have been afforded that accolade. 

32 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm positive he will continue to be a positive figure around the club and will be fondly remembered by almost everyone. I don't think many have been afforded that accolade. 

I don't think Maclaren, Clement, Legohead, Keogh or Rush will think back fondly of Morris but that's just me.

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

when the potential option are watching sibley play through balls to neymar when were in a champions league final

Yes but it won't be Sibley though will it. With new owners, what exactly will happen to this whole academy plan we've been told about for the past 12 months?

For the first question, there's not really an option I could choose. I'd like Mel to continue, but I'd also be open to new owners if they meet certain conditions. But it really doesn't matter if Mel has already decided that he wants to sell. That's something I'd be disappointed of, it feels like giving up to EFL.

I'm not sure if being proud is the right term in the second question, maybe I'd use something like cohesiveness... If the new owners fill the criterion needed, then why not.

At the moment, I don't have much of the cohesiveness to be honest. Also, there's a very good chance that it would decrease even further with the new owners.

Well, it's not all that bad. At least Union Berlin loaned Pohjanpalo and Bundesliga won't become such a playground as English leagues are already.

12 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Can't quite believe we are getting into this.

I've got my lower league local club for those,homely,owned by a local builder,don't they try hard,Bovril drinking plucky half amateur football moments paid for on a shoestring....makes your heart glow doesn't it. 

However,i'd quite like my proper grown up team to be playing the top clubs of Europe,with the best players we can afford and being talked about on the t.v for our superb football instead of just the nonsense we have become known for lately.

And I want to shag Emily Blunt but we can't have everything, can we?

13 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Yes but it won't be Sibley though will it. With new owners, what exactly will happen to this whole academy plan we've been told about for the past 12 months?

If they're good enough they will play. If theyre not they will be sold ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

Q2 is not a fair or unbiased question..

Quit whining. It’s not biased in any way. Read it in isolation as a stand alone question. Or try reading my opening post for context as to why I am asking. 

a common theme on the forum over the last ten years has been about doing things the right way. Many people have been either lauded or criticised on this basis! 

I am 1.5 on each. Would like him to sell if he wants/needs to but would still like him to be involved as non-exec director/chairman or whatever. Hopefully he will still be around as a fan in the ground to see Sibley and Knight playing for us still and England and Irish captains.  
on the second question think we have had some bad moments which to the outside world seem terrible and I havent liked. I particularly dont like our heavy reliance on gambling income which seems to be the way of many clubs unfortunately.  Wont buy my son a shirt now in adult sizes. Didnt like how we handled Keogh situation and hate the EFL issues.  All this makes non fans think we are an awful club.
But when you see the real Derby we do as fans and the stupidly obsessed funny brilliant fans the two sides of us seem to really contradict each other. 

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I want Mel to pull the plug on this takeover now. I’d rather integrity over investment (that isn’t even guaranteed). 

Don’t go Mel. I’m sure you’ve learned how to do things better. 

Well if he hasn’t, can you advise him mate ?

I'm confused.

If Mel's argument for selling is that it will bring investment, but if the only thing that has prevented him from investing more is FFP, won't that also apply to the new owners, in which case why bother selling if the restrictions will be the same?

Archived