POLL: Mel selling Derby County FC

Mostyn6

POLL: Would you rather Mel Morris sold the club? or remained as owner?  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is gossip of Mel Morris selling Derby County to Middle Eastern investors with (allegedly) more sizeable wealth.

I personally see no actual benefit of having wealthier owners, given that Mel cannot even spend his meagre wealth without Gibsons of the world kicking-off and influencing independant investigations into the club.

There is an argument that new wealthier owners might be willing to ignore the rules of FFP/P&S and just spend their way into the PL, regardless of future reprimand and reputation.

Mel has made errors/mistakes, and I feel he made those in good faith, and with his heart. I hope he is not tired of owning Derby, and would personally hope he didn't sell.

Whilst unconvinced about Cocu, I still think acquiring his services was a great achievement by Mel Morris and his team. I reckon he's not made a mistake for a few years and am convinced if Mel just rides this out for a couple of years, and demands more on the pitch, we will be in a great position.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Option 3, I'd rather someone else own the club but I'd love Mel to stick around.

But, I'd sell my own grandma if it meant we could see some European football.

I'd rather that than be called Red Bull Rams.

no, that's option 2. Mel sell the club.

I would imagine both questions will have similar results, the second does seem somewhat loaded against the potential new owner which feels a little unfair when are yet to hear their intentions for the club. 

It's almost been decided the guy is unethical and plans to pump millions into us for a big promotion push when none of that might be true.

Someone always has a little moan about poll questions so I guess it's my turn this week. 

I voted 1. NO 2.YES

As I said in the Abu Derby thread regardless of the politics involved I would love to have a proper Derby man (or woman!) own us.  I would much rather live with the mistakes from someone genuinely trying to do the right thing than be the plaything and subject of someone's will who only ever views us as an asset.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

I voted 1. NO 2.YES

As I said in the Abu Derby thread regardless of the politics involved I would love to have a proper Derby man (or woman!) own us.  I would much rather live with the mistakes from someone genuinely trying to do the right thing than be the plaything and subject of someone's will who only ever views us as an asset.

This

Question 2 is a bit black and white and I'm 50 shades of grey on this one.

Be pure as the driven snow and go-nowhere, whilst others bend/break the rules is not acceptable, you have to fight dirty like the others. Trouble is where do you draw the line:

Drug enhanced perfomance: No

False acounting: Define false and by whose accounting rules

Kick/Bully  opposition : Yes if they do it to us

Deliberately injure an opponent: No

Dive in the box: Why not, thats what the Refs for.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I would imagine both questions will have similar results, the second does seem somewhat loaded against the potential new owner which feels a little unfair when are yet to hear their intentions for the club. 

It's almost been decided the guy is unethical and plans to pump millions into us for a big promotion push when none of that might be true.

Someone always has a little moan about poll questions so I guess it's my turn this week. 

not at all, the only way to do more than Mel is by breaking the rules. Simple as. Regardless of who he sells to. One fuels the other. Why would you want rid of Mel unless you wanted to bin Mel's thinking and ethics. Cannot be money, cos we cannot spend more.

This is a loaded vote

As I said in another thread, Derby's own Rolls Royce has made lots of money from sales to Middle Eastern airlines - who are mainly owned by Middle Eastern royal families. So wherever you set in the ground someone sitting close to you will have partly bought their match tickets with money from the Middle East 

Just saying !!

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

not at all, the only way to do more than Mel is by breaking the rules. Simple as. Regardless of who he sells to. One fuels the other. Why would you want rid of Mel unless you wanted to bin Mel's thinking and ethics. Cannot be money, cos we cannot spend more.

Some will argue Mel's ethics are not exactly admirable with all the EFL stuff going on and has broken rules himself. The same fans that are likely to choose option 2 in question 1.

Went 1) No 2) Yes.

For me, the way Mel stood his ground, with dignity, may I add, against the unsubstantiated drivel from Gibson and the EFL deserves the reward of him owning a Premier League club and entertaining the hoi polloi from there in his boardroom.

If anybody else thinks differently fine, I just think he’s earned his place at the top table.

For me it's a double edged sword, I am a fan of Mel, yes there have been some decisions that may have been regrettable but on the whole, I think we have been lucky to have him own the club. 

But, fans want success, most want it now, with no care of how, just want it, buy players stretch the finances, its gotta be done no matter....

some do care, a bit, and are happy to give a manager a dozen or so games with a modest budget, before giving the thumbs down...

some, like myself, would like success, but want to see the whole club grow, academy, squad quality, reputation for being a decent club etc. But that requires someone with vision as an owner, and a like minded manager. I believe we have that.

Lots of fans dont really care about 'the big picture' whether there are injuries, suspensions, embargoes, ffp, they want to win, and if we dont, they feel justified in venting there dissatisfaction. They will still do it when we lose 2-1 in the Champions league final... 

The point is, you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all the time. That's Mels dilemma, he knows what fans are saying and thinking, he knows his limitations, and the aspirations of the fans, should we ever get into the Prem, he knows he's rich, but NOT premier league rich, so we would almost certainly struggle, again. So his strategy is to obtain investment, that will give his/our club a fighting chance of success. 

So there is the afore mentioned double edged sword,  he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. 

Good luck Mel, you Sir for my money are a proper Gentleman and we are lucky to have had you  ?

I think that Mel has always done what he thought was best for the club. I hope we remember him as Derby County hero. 

@Mostyn6's opening post may be missing a hugely important point. The Mel Morris that we've seen may not be the one we get in the future. We know that he's looking for investment. We know he's recently borrowed externally. It looks likely that he's entered into negotiations to sell the club. None of this might be hugely significant, but there are several possible explanations which are.

If Mel can't or won't invest in the club in the future, we are going to struggle to keep the doors open. If we do it will be because we've sold our best players. I don't mean to imply that this will happen, just that it is a possibility if Mel sticks around. It's not necessarily the stable, continuity option. 

I think Mel has reached the same point that Lionel Pickering did in the end. He needs fresh backers or to sell I would prefer Mel retained some influence within the club and be part of any future success. 

Do I give dam about how Abu Dhabi is run... No I don't.....if the people of that country do not like the way they are ruled and treated they have the power to force change the same has many other countries throughout history have. 

I just hope that whatever he decides, he doesn't regret it.  And if he does sell up, I'll stand and applaud him out the doors.  The guy is an absolute gent, from what little I have witnessed.

I'll be absolutely gutted for him, if we go up within a couple of years of him relinquishing the reins.  If he deserves just one thing, then he deserves to still be in charge, when we do finally make it. 

Personally, I hope he gives it two or three more seasons at least... if his heart and health are up to it, that is! 

Archived