Johnny Russell

DarkFruitsRam7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Really good to see him enjoying his football, was a good move for him, he never really hit the heights here but was mainly a striker when we signed him but  I always thought we could get better when he was with us but still a very likeable fella always come across as a really decent bloke and good to see a smile on his face 

On 09/06/2024 at 22:14, S8TY said:

Really good to see him enjoying his football, was a good move for him, he never really hit the heights here but was mainly a striker when we signed him but  I always thought we could get better when he was with us but still a very likeable fella always come across as a really decent bloke and good to see a smile on his face 

Who did you have in mind, out of interest?

I think you might be in a minority with this one TBH.

17 hours ago, Crewton said:

Who did you have in mind, out of interest?

I think you might be in a minority with this one TBH.

No one in mind just thought we could get better and don't really care if I'm in minority tbh just my opinion 

Can anybody who listened to the podcast illuminate the reasons why it didn’t end well for him here? I can’t remember anything in particular standing out (was he not getting in the team?).  Mind like a sieve nowadays, particularly about former players from more than a year ago. I always liked Johnny though. 

5 hours ago, S8TY said:

No one in mind just thought we could get better and don't really care if I'm in minority tbh just my opinion 

Fair enough, but it just seemed a bit harsh considering he was a regular starter in his time with us and when you think how ineffective some of our signings after he left were - Blackman, Camara, Anya etc - he was another great value signing by Nigel Clough. He was also pretty popular with the fans too I think.

4 hours ago, LazloW said:

Can anybody who listened to the podcast illuminate the reasons why it didn’t end well for him here? I can’t remember anything in particular standing out (was he not getting in the team?).  Mind like a sieve nowadays, particularly about former players from more than a year ago. I always liked Johnny though. 

I have a vague memory of him telling Rowett he was going to the States at the end of the season, but that he was told to leave in January. There was definitely some other talk about how he was treated (not by Rowett I don't think) but I can't remember the specifics.

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

Fair enough, but it just seemed a bit harsh considering he was a regular starter in his time with us and when you think how ineffective some of our signings after he left were - Blackman, Camara, Anya etc - he was another great value signing by Nigel Clough. He was also pretty popular with the fans too I think.

Great player. Really enjoyed his contribution to Derby, great goals and assists, always played with a big smile on his face and loved the Heartbeat song.