Johnny Russell

DarkFruitsRam7

54 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

he plays at full back for the last few seasons up at Newcastle 

Not when I’ve watched, actually now you mention it, i do recall them putting him wing back.  Even still, in his prime he struggled to make any impression at that level. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Such a Johnny Russell goal, that. He skips rather than runs with that long stride, arms gracefully flailing, stroking the ball with his left foot into the far corner. On a bad day, he was still an excellent defensive winger who seemed to lack imagination, but on a good day, there's few players I've seen in the modern era that I've enjoyed watching more. Brought back a lot of memories. 

Pleased for him (still) but tbf it is rather different playing in MLS, rarely being tightly marked and having time and space to pick your spot than it is being constantly marked by 2 players and having to guide it through five bodies in a congested box in the EFL!

Not sure how he'd cope back in England unless it was with a team who could build around him and prioritise making space for him to run free, but it's a moot point anyway, why would he leave all that he's got for what little he could have?

I like to share Johnny Russell's progress in USA as he was a good player, all round nice guy and a fan favourite when here. 

He is club captain and has carved out a similar space in people's hearts over there.

I never compare his time out there to how he was here, but every time I post a goal (and there are plenty of them) somebody comes on to pour scorn on the level of football. 

I don't care and am not particularly interested in what he would be playing like if he was still here. I am just pleased to see him doing well.

43 minutes ago, angieram said:

I like to share Johnny Russell's progress in USA as he was a good player, all round nice guy and a fan favourite when here. 

He is club captain and has carved out a similar space in people's hearts over there.

I never compare his time out there to how he was here, but every time I post a goal (and there are plenty of them) somebody comes on to pour scorn on the level of football. 

I don't care and am not particularly interested in what he would be playing like if he was still here. I am just pleased to see him doing well.

I wasn't 'pouring scorn' though, just commenting on the reality of the situation as I see it. It's not so much the level of football anyway, it's the style. There will be certain players who are good in the Championship yet not suited to how they play over there and who won't be anywhere near as successful.

He's got it made. There have been comments before about trying to bring him back, and he's been (very) loosely linked with a return to England.  I'm just hypothesising on that scenario.

Edited by Coconut's Beard