No pressure but...Bielik is the key

sage

After watching us play under Cocu for 1 and a bit seasons I think Bielik is the key to how Cocu can apply his methods to the Championship.

As well as Davies has played I believe he is keeping the shirt warm for Bielik.

With him in the middle of a back 3 we can switch from 343 to 433 to 541 to 451 to 4141 to 4231 in an instant, without making a substitution.

On what we have seen so far we overpaid for him but he has many years ahead of him and I think Cocu realises that Bielik was worth paying for as there few players of his type and quality around.

As I said, no pressure.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He made a couple of mistakes, but otherwise I really liked what I saw before his injury. A big physical presence, who can pass and always looks to drive forward. 

If he was already the finished article, he’d still be at Arsenal. He needs games to completely develop into the player he can, and after such a long time out, he will need time. 

You have to say that all the major pieces of the puzzle are still in the box, with the exception of maybe the Kamil.

If Duncan and/or Dursan can be the target for it all, with Ibe and Jozwiak providing and the Bielik turning defence into attack I think we are in a good place to be a million times what we have been so far this season. But Bielik can, and should be, the same as Fernandes has been for Man Utd - the player that finds the forward pass and injection of momentum when all others would go sideways.

As for Davies keeping Bielik's shirt warm, that is a rather disoncerting image, I must say.

3 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Not sure we’d want to be switching formations that often if it can be helped? Usually a sign it’s going wrong. Can already do this with Evans also if fit

I think the point @sagewas making is that we would be fluid, and therefore can hard to predict and shift depending on the situation - the old Dutch "total football".

4 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Not sure we’d want to be switching formations that often if it can be helped? Usually a sign it’s going wrong. Can already do this with Evans also if fit

Evans isn't good enough in the air to play the centre role in a back 3.

Just now, Srg said:

I think the point @sagewas making is that we would be fluid, and therefore can hard to predict and shift depending on the situation - the old Dutch "total football".

Exactly. When Forest put an extra man in CM and started dominating, we could have reacted quicker by pushing Bielik into midfield instead of waiting for a substitution.

Obviously we aren't going to switch formation several times in a game it just means we can start with 343 or 433 and switch once from there.

You don't always want to make a substitution to respond to a change in tactics or formation by the opposition or in in response to a change in scoreline.

Key ? I'm not sure. As in I'm not sure that's 100% that's the end goal. But it certainly gives a lot of tactical fluidity and flexibility midgame. Doesn't even have to be a distinct change in formation but more fluid drifting depending on the situation.

A clear example of this is how on Friday the front 3 would just change what position they were in.

36 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Dusrecon he’s back on Wednesday?

He and Ibe are apparently pencilled in to play some part of the U23's next game against West Ham next Monday so I doubt we'll see him return to the squad until the Barnsley game at home on the 7th, or maybe even until after the next international break.

Think it’s a bit of a stretch to say that he’s the one key to everything falling together - it would be worrying if you’re so reliant on one player. And anyway, as we’ve seen, having a forward line who can rotate is also very important in that front 3.

That said, there’s no doubting Bielik is important to us. As he should be, at our 2nd (?) most expensive signing ever. He’s an absolute top class player at this level, the only real question is where we fit him in, which we didn’t seem to 100% settle on last season. In the current system however, I think it’s pretty clear he slots into that most central defender slot in the back three. As good as Davies has been, Bielik in there would be a real step up.

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it’s a bit of a stretch to say that he’s the one key to everything falling together - it would be worrying if you’re so reliant on one player. And anyway, as we’ve seen, having a forward line who can rotate is also very important in that front 3.

That said, there’s no doubting Bielik is important to us. As he should be, at our 2nd (?) most expensive signing ever. He’s an absolute top class player at this level, the only real question is where we fit him in, which we didn’t seem to 100% settle on last season. In the current system however, I think it’s pretty clear he slots into that most central defender slot in the back three. As good as Davies has been, Bielik in there would be a real step up.

He is the key to Cocu adapting his style to the Championship. Evans i suppose is back up but very much a step down. Hopefully Solomon develops into the back up.

Agree he's going to be important and as @sage & @Srgsay, he'll enable us to be more fluid. He's a major part of the puzzle, but not the full solution. We may even see Davies replace Wisdom at RCB when Bielik is back - I think it'll depend on how much pace we want in that back 3. 

Being able to have so many tactical options is going to be a big advantage this season, if the players can pull it off. Remember, its only been a few seasons since we had 1 plan and as soon as teams figured that plan out (i.e. in January) we slumped and struggled to end in the playoffs. I do feel we have a more 'tactically intelligent' side than recent seasons so hopes are high.

I see him as switching from a back 3 where needed to a defensive midfielder where needed working quite nicely.

Lets hope he comes in and plays well.

However, I think the balance which we're finally starting to get is more important than any one player, the exception being waghorn because we don't have anyone who can do that job as well, although that is why CKR was given his deal.

As was mentioned in another thread, the players all move around when they are playing so "formation" isn't neccessarily as iron cast as some people seem to think, and no where near as important as people understanding their job in the team and who is doing what when to who.

Not sure why so many are being quick to remove Davies from a back 3. Bielik was rash when played at CB previously, so I think having Curtis’s leadership in there would be very useful, especially if we plan to be changing formation mid game. I don’t think Wisdom, Evans, or Te Weirik have done enough to be picked ahead of Davies, and I think he’s a real key element in that back three for us right now. 

A back three of: Clarke Davies Bielik, seems to have all the ingredients we need to play that formation successfully. 

8 minutes ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

Not sure why so many are being quick to remove Davies from a back 3. Bielik was rash when played at CB previously, so I think having Curtis’s leadership in there would be very useful, especially if we plan to be changing formation mid game. I don’t think Wisdom, Evans, or Te Weirik have done enough to be picked ahead of Davies, and I think he’s a real key element in that back three for us right now. 

A back three of: Clarke Davies Bielik, seems to have all the ingredients we need to play that formation successfully. 

Bar pace 

I wasn’t that impressed with him at the back ... thought he was rash and didn’t read situations particularly well... not when u compare him to Curtis or Clarke 

I see him long term as at the base of the midfield basically direct competition with bird with either a runner like knight around him or two infront of him in a midfield 3

basically we will look to phase Rooney out Or our reliance on him 

4 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

He made a couple of mistakes, but otherwise I really liked what I saw before his injury. A big physical presence, who can pass and always looks to drive forward. 

If he was already the finished article, he’d still be at Arsenal. He needs games to completely develop into the player he can, and after such a long time out, he will need time. 

I agree. It’s interesting .. he could shield a back 4 and let Knight and Sibley do their stuff or he could be part of a dynamic back 3. I think he has the ability but for absolute certainty after a big injury he has to get his own physical self confidence back (that’s the no 1 thing ) and then he will need to blend with the team. .. it could take time, maybe we will get “lucky” and he will gel, get fighting and all will be well but that might take a fair wind. Patience chaps, let the universe unfold as it might 

5 hours ago, sage said:

After watching us play under Cocu for 1 and a bit seasons I think Bielik is the key to how Cocu can apply his methods to the Championship.

As well as Davies has played I believe he is keeping the shirt warm for Bielik.

With him in the middle of a back 3 we can switch from 343 to 433 to 541 to 451 to 4141 to 4231 in an instant, without making a substitution.

On what we have seen so far we overpaid for him but he has many years ahead of him and I think Cocu realises that Bielik was worth paying for as there few players of his type and quality around.

As I said, no pressure.

Bielik in for Wisdom for me. Leave Davies where he is.

Archived