Frank Lampard: Was he any good for the Club?

i-Ram

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

For some reason Mike Te wierik reminds me of Tristan farnon - the younger vet from “All Creatures Great and Small”.

perhaps it’s his happy smiling boyish appearance.

All time great post.  Not enough 1980s centre half / Yorkshire-based veterinary analogies on this forum!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He as you say, produced some memorisable moments in the season.

But has ben said, he did bring in players on loan who he developed (ironically) for himself. Did he know he would be back at Chelsea? I would say yes if he did a good job with Derby. Gamble I know but he used his links to get classy players in.

He has certainly showed a lack of managerial knowhow when it came to actually purchasing players for the future of the club and this has left us with a good few average players.

The more I read the original post, I can put aside the enjoyable moments in the season and if you look at the big picture, it isn't great.

In hindsight it was a fair season with some good and some bad. I think we'd have gone up automatically if Mount had of stayed fit and we would probably have won the play-off final if he didn't decide get clever with his team selection.

Ultimately though, it was long drawn out saga of the move to Chelsea that lingers.

On its own merits it wasn't a bad season, and had we kept him we might have progressed further. He had his naiveities but there was definitely a buzz I haven't felt here in years. 

Sour taste based on his protracted exit, we knew that was a risk but noone in their right mind would expect it to occur so soon or expect him to turn it down. 

His signings were his signings, his style and Cocu's are very different so its difficult to gauge, but as it stands he left us with a number of players who do look like poor signings now. 

The takeaways were he started to make us believe we could aim higher, and we could have a greater profile within the game. His loans were inspired and have progressed to the international set up within a year.

The flipside of that is that we now despair at the mediocrity we are currently served up, with the play offs already looking a tall order. The profile raising issue continues, which leads to many things being magnified - car crashes, sackings, efl charges, newspaper gossip, covid. It would be nice to be in the news purely for footballing reasons.

The big question, that possibly shows the level of success best is, would you take him back as manager if it turns sour for him at Chelsea. I for one would without much hesitation. 

14 hours ago, sage said:

He was the bit on the side. Lots of fun but when departed you cry at your bank balance.

Cocu is spouse material. Leading a more frugal life while you save up for a house deposit. Someone you may have kids with.

Pearson was the one you wake up next to after a big night out and you try to sneak out before they wake up.

He’d have generated a lot for the club, to be fair. He spent want he generated, if not made a slight profit, five televised cup ties, his name played a part in a club record sponsorship deal, play-off money and then he himself leaving raised £5,000,000.

I can’t think of an a analogy. Closest I got was he was using us for prostitution but we both genuinely liked each other? 

He was good up until the point our players came back for pre season with no manager there. 

If Mel told him to stay away and sort his future then thats still Frank's fault for not sorting things sooner. He has an obligation to be there for the players. He put himself first

So he screwed us. 

People were vocal about Mac and Newcastle but he got on with his job. He might have been distracted but he was far fairer with us than Lampard. 

I don't believe Lampard did everything as well as he could have. I think once Roman flashed a fiver Frank was digging out his blue scarf. However for some reason it took weeks for him to wear it. The knob head 

Worse than Gary. 

Football is about enjoyment. I enjoyed Frank's season 10x more than I've enjoyed Cocu's first season and beginning of his second one. Ultimately, I'm not that interested in the club's finances and just want to see entertaining football on the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, cannable said:

He’d have generated a lot for the club, to be fair. He spent want he generated, if not made a slight profit, five televised cup ties, his name played a part in a club record sponsorship deal, play-off money and then he himself leaving raised £5,000,000.

I can’t think of an a analogy. Closest I got was he was using us for prostitution but we both genuinely liked each other? 

In terms of spending what he generated I think that is slightly generous - ultimately Vydra and Weimann were sold during his tenure but he didn’t create the value they were sold for. But by the same token he did create lots of value out of Bogle but I’m not sure there was much else? Bird I guess you could argue got his first few tastes of proper game time.

Offset against the losses we will make on his purchases it isn’t a great look - none of them have any resale at all really except Holmes who we could turn a reasonable profit on tomorrow and if he knits it all together it would likely be a massive profit. Marriott may yet have some but not holding out much hope.

More generally I think it’s hard for me to be objective about Lampard on both sides of it. I think his squad planning was not much more long term based than Rowett’s albeit in a different way, and similarly he left rather than sort it out but obviously we can’t blame him for going to Chelsea.

I think his entire tenure would be viewed very differently if Leeds away had never happened, but it did and it was amazing. But then it is strange that an entire season can be viewed differently based on one game which when all was said and done didn’t mean anything in terms of promotion etc. Alongside that and other good games there was lots of dirge where we looked absolutely clueless.

Basically I don’t really know what to think other than that the squad planning under him was poor and short term. Ordinarily you would want a manager to fix the mess they have helped to create but then you also can’t blame him for leaving?

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

He was good up until the point our players came back for pre season with no manager there. 

If Mel told him to stay away and sort his future then thats still Frank's fault for not sorting things sooner. He has an obligation to be there for the players. He put himself first

So he screwed us. 

People were vocal about Mac and Newcastle but he got on with his job. He might have been distracted but he was far fairer with us than Lampard. 

I don't believe Lampard did everything as well as he could have. I think once Roman flashed a fiver Frank was digging out his blue scarf. However for some reason it took weeks for him to wear it. The knob head 

Worse than Gary

Really depends on what you mean by that. I'll admit Rowett certainly left in a more clean and tidy fashion and I think you can argue both in their own way did a similar job at a broad stroke level i.e. rather than dealing with the ever-growing cracks with the squad and really building towards sometime they opted to paper over the cracks for a short term burst. 

I'd could on at length about why I preferred Lampard though; I could bring up how I didn't like how Rowett heavily traded on his reputation at the club to deflect criticism, his style of play or how rather than dealing with short term decisions he made he jumped to what he saw as a better championship prospect. But it really comes back to one thing.

Rowett pushed Hughes out of the door for pennies.

If there was one single moment in the last few years where I felt I've had enough with football it was that one. Any success beyond that was going to be bitter tasting. People can talk about the practical realities and being pragmatic for success all they want, I just don't care. Likewise the blow would have  been softer having it seemingly come from Hughes (which i still belief Rowett mislead fans about) or for a fee too good to be true. But no it was a quick sale in order to bring his type of players in.

I think the reason the move to Chelsea ages was the issue of compensation had to be sorted first.

I’m not sure that Chelsea were too chuffed at having to pay £4m for the return of frank and two coaches that they’d let us have in the first place. 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Football is about enjoyment. I enjoyed Frank's season 10x more than I've enjoyed Cocu's first season and beginning of his second one. Ultimately, I'm not that interested in the club's finances and just want to see entertaining football on the pitch. 

Unfortunately for you, you are a Derby fan. As a general rule, good finances bring entertaining football and a great chance of winning things. Poor finances, and I am pretty certain that is where we are at the moment, means building something with youth and the purchase of budget players. Like Clough a few years ago, Cocu isn’t being dealt an ideal hand. He can however develop something which is entertaining but it takes more time.

20 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Unfortunately for you, you are a Derby fan. As a general rule, good finances bring entertaining football and a great chance of winning things. Poor finances, and I am pretty certain that is where we are at the moment, means building something with youth and the purchase of budget players. Like Clough a few years ago, Cocu isn’t being dealt an ideal hand. He can however develop something which is entertaining but it takes more time.

Yeah, you're right of course. My point is simplistic, of course better finances = better players = better football, but I can't really bring myself to be bothered about them. I purely care about the sport itself. I don't look back fondly at Nigel Clough's era, despite us having good finances because of it. Because it was crap on the pitch. As a fan, I just want to see good football. 

As far as going to one of those games that was pure ecstasy I have to give it to Frank a game never to forget, Thank you Frank. As for the rest I thought it was too inconsistent and I felt the play off final team selection was wrong and I hoped he knew what he was doing but he didn’t. His signings were meh !!? 

Then after the season had finished I just felt him disappearing on holiday and all his knob head mates saying go to Chelsea just did it for me. So it’s a no from me.

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Really depends on what you mean by that. I'll admit Rowett certainly left in a more clean and tidy fashion and I think you can argue both in their own way did a similar job at a broad stroke level i.e. rather than dealing with the ever-growing cracks with the squad and really building towards sometime they opted to paper over the cracks for a short term burst. 

I'd could on at length about why I preferred Lampard though; I could bring up how I didn't like how Rowett heavily traded on his reputation at the club to deflect criticism, his style of play or how rather than dealing with short term decisions he made he jumped to what he saw as a better championship prospect. But it really comes back to one thing.

Rowett pushed Hughes out of the door for pennies.

If there was one single moment in the last few years where I felt I've had enough with football it was that one. Any success beyond that was going to be bitter tasting. People can talk about the practical realities and being pragmatic for success all they want, I just don't care. Likewise the blow would have  been softer having it seemingly come from Hughes (which i still belief Rowett mislead fans about) or for a fee too good to be true. But no it was a quick sale in order to bring his type of players in.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Lampard more. I was never a fan of Rowett. 

But just on the actual departure bit I think Lampard won the ********* award. 

Was glad Lampard left , everythings a circus with him , Spygate , the bounce , his clash with Klopp , his fantasy football signings , he was lucky against Leeds , Holmes getting injured when he did and Jack coming on saved him from defeat , and his lineup at Wembley lost us the game before we even started so no he wasnt good for us , very big season for him at Chelsea

if he stayed and finished what he started yes he was good for the club as a whole, as for the first time in years thesre was a bigger bound between fans to the board.... i believe the second season in charge i think which we would have kept likes of mount and harry etc and pushed hard and got promoted....

BUT he left so no not done us any good and he is a C@#t ..

Archived