Frank Lampard: Was he any good for the Club?

i-Ram

Ok, he took us to the playoffs, and gave us a few exciting evenings during his 12 months. He perhaps was also instrumental in bringing Rooney into contact with Morris, and also meant that someone like Cocu could be persuaded to look at the Rams as a good step back into football management (although a number on here would say neither of those are positives).

To me he appears to have spaffed an awful lot of money on average footballers - Marriott, Josefzoon, Malone - and probably overpaid for Waghorn (albeit contract negotiations/fees was not his domain). You might give him credit for getting a couple of squad players in cheap in Holmes and Evans, but they both seem bog standard Championship players with little hope of taking that next step up.

He also brought in 3 young players on loan and developed them, and their value, for someone else. I wonder how much we paid for that little exercise. At the same time other than Bogle he didn’t give any of our own young players many starts.

Arguably he then went and left us in the lurch, personally I think that might be an unfair accusation, but it doesn’t seem since leaving he has wanted to do us too many favours, in fact one wonders whether him and a Morris even exchanged Christmas cards.

I think when we want to apportion blame as to what has gone wrong for the Club between 2016-2020 Lampard should take more share of the blame than Pearson, Rowett or Cocu. In fact he was close to being toss as you can see in this caption.

Chelsea Fc Ugh GIF by UEFA

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think the penny had dropped with the club regarding the full implications of ffp

and you have to remember what an utterly poo team and playing style Rowett left us with.

frank restored the bounce and played some truly great games

just lost his nerve on the last game.

7 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Long term probably not but it was an exciting season and some of the football was sublime. He was also a very charismatic leader and that semi final against Leeds was brilliant.

Totally agree - really fun season but didnt leave us in a good place. something obvs happened in talks over departure as just feel there is a sour note there when there neednt have been. Also cant help feeling (but may be totally wrong) that the culture leading to joiners fiasco prob started under their watch and that was hugely damaging for us and Keogh

23 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

To me he appears to have spaffed an awful lot of money on average footballers - Marriott, Josefzoon, Malone - and probably overpaid for Waghorn (albeit contract negotiations/fees was not his domain). You might give him credit for getting a couple of squad players in cheap in Holmes and Evans, but they both seem bog standard Championship players with little hope of taking that next step up.

I think this is unfair - Marriott seemed to be better for Lampard than he's been since and a period of actual fitness might have been good for him

Also Holmes is an excellent player - There are quite a few coaches and football pundits who have commented on this and that he's got the potential to play at a higher level - He's an absolute bargain at the money we paid for him

That said - The Lampard season papered over the giant cracks we had in the squad with some young talent from other clubs - Mount isn't just a step above us he's several steps - And Tomori is at least a couple

I actually think the person who has suffered the most from Lampard is Cocu - Expectations set higher than they ever should have been with the patchwork squad he inherited - A player culture where they expected to be best mates with the manager rather than have a professional relationship and an attitude which said they could do whatever they wanted to - And no time to build/establish his squad before the start of the season

One good game in the season.

Was only in it for himself.

Did nothing to change the culture at the club that ultimately led to a couple of the numpteys smashing their cars up.

Bottled the final by picking totally the wrong team.

He did arrange a great pre season friendly tour though, got to give him that.

but It's a no from me.

To be honest, I was never a huge fan of Lampard. I wanted to be, but I think post-Wembley, he showed his true colours.

I think if he had stayed with the club and tried to finish the job he started, he would have won the hearts and minds of all Derby fans. I certainly would have more respect and appreciation for him. 

That said, one thing you cannot take away from is that he generated a feel-good factor at the club and the players, the owner and the majority of the fans really believed in him and the work he was doing.

Personally I was never sold. Every game I watched, I thought to myself: what am I missing? Is this it?

Like with every manager we’ve had, he did some good but also made mistakes that were in danger of overshadowing the good times. By this I mean team selections, tactical decisions and so on.

I don’t really think you can attribute the recruitment to him. He was coming into his first job. I suspect he relied heavily upon the recruitment team, and you would imagine even Mount and Tomori were the recommendations of Jody Morris. How much would he have really known about the Championship and below?

I think those ‘expensive mistakes’ were more likely to be the fault of the boys in the recruitment department and the key people involved in negotiating transfers.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Personally I was never sold. Every game I watched, I thought to myself: what am I missing? Is this it

What a shame you weren't able to just enjoy the moment. It was a classic example of mindfulness! O think most of us knew this was transient and that Frank would be off when Chelsea came calling. We just hoped for one more season. I agree with your points about Cocu. Following on from Lampard was  never going to be easy for all the reasons you give. Their leadership styles appear to be like chalk and cheese.

41 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Ok, he took us to the playoffs, and gave us a few exciting evenings during his 12 months. He perhaps was also instrumental in bringing Rooney into contact with Morris, and also meant that someone like Cocu could be persuaded to look at the Rams as a good step back into football management (although a number on here would say neither of those are positives).

He also brought in 3 young players on loan and developed them, and their value, for someone else. I wonder how much we paid for that little exercise. At the same time other than Bogle he didn’t give any of our own young players many starts.

Arguably he then went and left us in the lurch, personally I think that might be an unfair accusation, but it doesn’t seem since leaving he has wanted to do us too many favours, in fact one wonders whether him and a Morris even exchanged Christmas cards.

I think when we want to apportion blame as to what has gone wrong for the Club between 2016-2020 Lampard should take more share of the blame than Pearson, Rowett or Cocu. In fact he was close to being toss as you can see in this caption.

Chelsea Fc Ugh GIF by UEFA

Your first four paragraphs suggest he was?

I still shudder on the play-off final line up.

Then I think back to the day we played West Brom away. I remember being at the ground and sending a text to my dad which said "He's playing 5 strikers" (Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn and Marriott). OK, not quite 5 strikers but 5 attacking players with serious intent. Just imagine Cocu doing that!!!

We had our moments, but plenty of times during that season we really struggled to create chances and won a lot of games from goals outside the area. We were far from a free-flowing attacking side for the majority of that season - miles off what we were under McClaren. 

Obviously the signings have turned out to be pony, by and large, but as it's been stated numerous times. The players are put forward by the recruitment team. Lampard didn't come in and bang on the table demanding we sign Brentford's winger, who I'm 99% certain he had never even heard of prior to recruitment team showing him a highlight reel. 

We are where we are for a multitude of reasons where everyone's had their impact. The only positive thing about the club, really, is the academy who have had to keep rebuilding their squads due to the requirements from the first team. They seem to be able to recruit really well and do a lot of things well that our first team simply don't, ironically. 

Archived