Frank Lampard: Was he any good for the Club?

i-Ram

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

He was a breath of fresh air at the moment looks a bit like the rose in a turd sandwich..

Not seen that combo on offer in Subway 

On thread I think it was definitely a fun season but I agree with @i-Ram's assessment that the bad outweighed the good. I went from being a full-on fanboy to being pretty disenchanted in the end if truth be told.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Your first four paragraphs suggest he was?

I still shudder on the play-off final line up.

Then I think back to the day we played West Brom away. I remember being at the ground and sending a text to my dad which said "He's playing 5 strikers" (Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn and Marriott). OK, not quite 5 strikers but 5 attacking players with serious intent. Just imagine Cocu doing that!!!

Imagine Cocu having 5 good attackers to select, that'd be a good start.

Didn’t want him as our Manager as I thought he would come and be gone in a season so knew it wasn’t going to be long term and that was what we needed. 
I have to admit I never thought for a second he would be going to Chelsea after a season but I expected him to go South.

This said he was responsible for the best night Of football I’ve ever witnessed With my son. Will never forget that night in Leeds, the drive there, the pint and pie before, the optimising, the feeling of defeat 5 mins before half time, the increased belief at half time and then that incredible second half masterclass......football heaven.

What disappoints me now and a question I’d ask people is this: Is Something wrong if we can’t get players from Chelsea on loan after that positive relationship with him and Jody. Think we all believed he would push some talent our way. 

Lampard gave us one of the most enjoyable seasons of the last 20 years. Long term it’s difficult to judge as he left after the one season. Cocu has come in with new ideas so you can’t judge Lampard’s legacy on that when it’s a different manager. 

Lampard was decent with the youth - Bogle was a revelation. No doubt Cocu has more of a longer term vision.  Lampard’s signings also shouldn’t be judged on how they’ve performed under Cocu. Marriott was good under Lampard. Malone was acceptable. Holmes decent. Waghorn solid and consistent. Pretty positive overall. Lampard signed them to suit his style. 

Financially, it was potentially poo or bust. If he’d stayed I’m sure he’d have attracted more loans. Good memories overall, but agree with others - it was a bit of the Lampard show at times. 

He was the bit on the side. Lots of fun but when departed you cry at your bank balance.

Cocu is spouse material. Leading a more frugal life while you save up for a house deposit. Someone you may have kids with.

Pearson was the one you wake up next to after a big night out and you try to sneak out before they wake up.

1 minute ago, sage said:

He was the bit on the side. Lots of fun but when departed you cry at your bank balance.

Cocu is spouse material. Leading a more frugal life while you save up for a house deposit. Someone you may have kids with.

Pearson was the one you wake up next to after a big night out and you try to sneak out before they wake up.

And Gary was the fugly munter from next door you felt safe with when your self esteem was a bit low, as you never thought in a million years that anyone else would be interested......?

Seen this sort of comment a lot, I think it’s all too easy to blame the most recent manager for all of the mess we’re in. The reality is, the problems are far deeper and more long term than that. Lampard ended up being pretty short term, as most manager do these days, but he still did a pretty decent job. Not as spectacular as some may make out, given the squad at his disposal, but decent none the less. Better than the likes of Clement and Pearson, that’s for sure.

I’ve said before I don’t think it’s fair to blame Lampard for any poor recruitment, and I stand by that. The coaching team will have had very little to do with the choices of players, aside from maybe the Chelsea loanees - both of which were some of our most successful signings in years, in terms of impact over their loan spells. And I don’t think it’s fair to say Lampard didn’t give youth a chance, he did brilliantly in bringing Bogle through to the first team and making him one of the divisions best attacking fullbacks. Just because he didn’t bring through a ridiculous number of different young players through pure necessity like Cocu, doesn’t mean it was an unsuccessful year for the academy. The pathway to the first team was still clear. 

The blame for the poor recruitment, as it has done for years, lies elsewhere imo. Whoever makes the decisions in that area has been the main cause of our gradual decline in recent years. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I look at Dutch Mike and worry.......he is unquestionably Cocus pick, and he has started poorly.

For some reason Mike Te wierik reminds me of Tristan farnon - the younger vet from “All Creatures Great and Small”.

perhaps it’s his happy smiling boyish appearance.

I think if he stuck his arm right up Andre Wisdom’s back passage, he could possibly grab something and effect a change that might resolve their current difficulties. Similarly I think the same technique would be equally effective with Matt Clarke.

Why doesn’t Cocu think to try that? Grrrr. ?

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

For some reason Mike Te wierik reminds me of Tristan farnon - the younger vet from “All Creatures Great and Small”.

perhaps it’s his happy smiling boyish appearance.

I think if he stuck his arm right up Andre Wisdom’s back passage, he could possibly grab something and effect a change that might resolve their current difficulties. Similarly I think the same technique would be equally effective with Matt Clarke.

Why doesn’t Cocu think to try that? Grrrr. ?

If there's a "most unexpected analogy of the year" award then you've gotta be in with a decent shout.

I think of him more as Neil from the Inbetweeners. Fun loving, tall, gangly, but through it all a little bit inept....

Clement and Rush are still the primary cause of the state we’re in now. 

Rowett bringing in older lads on expensive money didn’t help but he was 1 shameful performance away from taking us to a play off final. (Shameful because he tried to sit on a 1-0 lead against the best attackers in the league for 90 minutes). 

Lampard spent a fortune and really blocked the path for some younger players. He left the squad in a worse state than he found it and his entire success was built on us having loan players who we only got because of his profile. 

Cocu has endured situations unlike any other manager we’ve ever had during his tenure. His football has sometimes been garbage and perhaps he should have had a more pragmatic approach to help get us through until he had the players he needs. He will though - if he leaves in the next few weeks as per that newspaper story - be the first manager since Clough to leave the squad in a better state than he found it. 

Archived