Loyalty

HorsforthRam

When I was a kid and subsequently grew older, the thing about supporting Derby was that we were a loyal crowd.  “Loyal supporters “ used to be sung from the Pop side and Columbo end.  I don’t know what it is about social media that wants “quick results” or our own supporters describe us a “joke club”. We are Derby County. A  provincial club. Get behind the lads and whoever is in charge ffs. It’s a season of transition. If any of our crowd could remember the 80s in division 3, they would know what a joy it was to follow the club. We are never gonna be a Man U or Liverpool with global appeal, that’s what makes us local. Get behind a man like Cocu, a decent man. If it fails, it fails. See what he’s trying to do. We all want the same thing. We are a cult. Act like one. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think the dire times in the 1980s seemed as bad as they actually were as the fences and barbed wire meant you couldnt see it as well. Plus if you were short and standing that blocked out more as well as posts and stuff in the way. Now we can see everything way too clearly

6 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I dont think the dire times in the 1980s seemed as bad as they actually were as the fences and barbed wire meant you couldnt see it as well. Plus if you were short and standing that blocked out more as well as posts and stuff in the way. Now we can see everything way too clearly

I've said similar before.  Cheaper, more beery, concerned about being stuck against a crash barrier wishing that twenty stone bloke wasn't behind you, but hoping he'd be in front of you on that nice mile walk back to a train station in darkest November.  Your focus was often away from what was happening in front of you to what was around you. 

Often I wouldn't see an entire half of football depending where I stood.  

Scary days sometimes, lots of good ones as well and the atmosphere was generally miles better. miss them on the whole .  

44 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

When I was a kid and subsequently grew older, the thing about supporting Derby was that we were a loyal crowd.  “Loyal supporters “ used to be sung from the Pop side and Columbo end.  I don’t know what it is about social media that wants “quick results” or our own supporters describe us a “joke club”. We are Derby County. A  provincial club. Get behind the lads and whoever is in charge ffs. It’s a season of transition. If any of our crowd could remember the 80s in division 3, they would know what a joy it was to follow the club. We are never gonna be a Man U or Liverpool with global appeal, that’s what makes us local. Get behind a man like Cocu, a decent man. If it fails, it fails. See what he’s trying to do. We all want the same thing. We are a cult. Act like one. 

Loved this post, yes my mate, I started following the Super Rams back in 79, as a 8 year old, and what ever happened u was proud to be a Ram, can remember times in the old 3rd division, and 2nd where we would travel in mass numbers being proud to be from Derby or the county of Derby and roaring the lads on, great away d as ys at places like Strewsbury Town, Stoke, Sheff United, Oldham, and many others, and always backing our then manager Arthur Cox and the team, such good memories, and we did not have sky ducking sports telling us how we should support our team the ducking morans, be yourself and be proud that your a Ram long live Derby and its loyal fans. 

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

In what other job would being a "decent man" be a consideration in issuing a P45 or not?

He has two responsibilities. First develop a team that wins football matches. Secondly, though some don't insist on this, get the team playing attractive football. It is far less a matter of seeing what he is trying to do than making an assessment of the likelihood of him delivering it. 

As others have said, he will be gone before we get back into Pride Park

9 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

In what other job would being a "decent man" be a consideration in issuing a P45 or not?

He has two responsibilities. First develop a team that wins football matches. Secondly, though some don't insist on this, get the team playing attractive football. It is far less a matter of seeing what he is trying to do than making an assessment of the likelihood of him delivering it. 

As others have said, he will be gone before we get back into Pride Park

For something to develop, you need to give the time.

I'd like to see how we go on once we have Bielik, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn and Sibley all starting together.

11 hours ago, ossieram said:

For something to develop, you need to give the time.

I'd like to see how we go on once we have Bielik, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn and Sibley all starting together.

All have the ability to create and score, add Ibe into the mix and maybe a few cameos of Duncan later in the season and you have the quality that Phil needs to make his system work.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Phil needs to make his system work.

What system? What is this system/plan we are waiting for? In the past season and a bit we’ve seen nothing but we have seen some god awful football. We don’t create, we don’t score, we certainly don’t entertain. So what is this magical system we are waiting for to work and how much time do we need?

On the original post, I agree however we were entertained back in the 80s and 90s even when we were rubbish we tried to attack teams. I don’t want to be Man U or Liverpool, in fact I don’t care too much about getting promoted. I just want to see some exciting attacking football, and however a nice man PC is what we’ve been served up so far tells me that isn’t going to happen. 

I was lucky enough to watch football through this time as well , a big thing that has affected the home games is pride park itself .when it was being built I remember comments of we will try and make it like the baseball ground same atmosphere etc etc . Pride park while being a truly lovely stadium is absolutely rubbish for atmosphere , it's been built in a normal conventional way , what we needed was to make a new improved ground with extreme closeness to the pitch to build an atmosphere , it's very sad we missed that chance as nice as pride park is .granted the loss of standing has also drastically affected atmosphere.

Loyalty?

On the day that Rolls Royce went into liquidation in 1971 Derby Evening Telegraph ran the main headline:-

"Derby County sign Colin Todd!"

I agree that nothing can compare to the Baseball Ground for atmosphere. Pride Park has all the warmth of a hospital ward in comparison.

However we have (very!) fast forwarded half a century and everything changes....

At least we still have a Derby County Football club with never a dull moment. (well, not too many anyway!)

On 17/10/2020 at 00:05, HorsforthRam said:

I do remember supporting Derby through the 70/80's.

I also know that the Columbo terrace was the visiting end of the Popside, with the home end of the Popside being the Vulcan terrace. The other main terrace was the 'Ossie End' behind the goal in the Osmastan road stand.

As for Cocu, sorry but not for me.

4 minutes ago, SWRam said:

I do remember supporting Derby through the 70/80's.

I also know that the Columbo terrace was the visiting end of the Popside, with the home end of the Popside being the Vulcan terrace. The other main terrace was the 'Ossie End' behind the goal in the Osmastan road stand.

As for Cocu, sorry but not for me.

Mid 80s away fans went in the Ossie end I watched many years from the Colombo end. Agree about Cocu but willing to give him some time when the injurys are back. 

Archived