Loyalty

HorsforthRam

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

What system? What is this system/plan we are waiting for? In the past season and a bit we’ve seen nothing but we have seen some god awful football. We don’t create, we don’t score, we certainly don’t entertain. So what is this magical system we are waiting for to work and how much time do we need?

On the original post, I agree however we were entertained back in the 80s and 90s even when we were rubbish we tried to attack teams. I don’t want to be Man U or Liverpool, in fact I don’t care too much about getting promoted. I just want to see some exciting attacking football, and however a nice man PC is what we’ve been served up so far tells me that isn’t going to happen. 

I thought we tried a high press in the first half, with three at the back and freedom to bomb forward. Its still a learning curve but with the talented lads we have I'm sure it'll come.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I thought we tried a high press in the first half, with three at the back and freedom to bomb forward. Its still a learning curve but with the talented lads we have I'm sure it'll come.

I hope so also I don’t see it but I hope it happens (ps I don’t remember us bombing forward, other than the Rooney chance I don’t remember us getting anywhere near the goal) 

5 hours ago, winktheram said:

Mid 80s away fans went in the Ossie end I watched many years from the Colombo end. Agree about Cocu but willing to give him some time when the injurys are back. 

Too many changes too quickly. Too many young players in the team at the same time  Too many players can play better than they are doing  Cocu's playing out from the back with these players is a dead duck.lethal counter attracting along with a solid defence is the way to win games.

On 17/10/2020 at 01:35, sunnyhill60 said:

In what other job would being a "decent man" be a consideration in issuing a P45 or not?

He has two responsibilities. First develop a team that wins football matches. Secondly, though some don't insist on this, get the team playing attractive football. It is far less a matter of seeing what he is trying to do than making an assessment of the likelihood of him delivering it. 

As others have said, he will be gone before we get back into Pride Park

That's just incorrect and you're being deliberately reductionst to fit your obviously negative agenda.

Short-term success was the job description for the previous 7 managers but we brought Cocu in to signal a change of approach. Longer term stragetgies heavily involving youth progression were introduced and Cocu was the man demmed best suited to oversee and implement that. He's done a terrific job on this front and the development of the likes of Knight, Sibley, Bird & Buchanan has been a joy to watch.

It's still a results business, however. We need to start picking up results soon but starting the season without virtually any of attackers being fit has hindered an already tough start. Performances have still been improving though and once we get the additional offensive quality of Lawrence, Jozwiak, Waghorn and Ibe into the squad and working well together, i'm confident our form will turn and we'll out together a good run of form.

Patience for a few more weeks is needed with this and that's what I'm seeing is lacking from a lot of fans right now

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

That's just incorrect and you're being deliberately reductionst to fit your obviously negative agenda.

Short-term success was the job description for the previous 7 managers but we brought Cocu in to signal a change of approach. Longer term stragetgies heavily involving youth progression were introduced and Cocu was the man demmed best suited to oversee and implement that. He's done a terrific job on this front and the development of the likes of Knight, Sibley, Bird & Buchanan has been a joy to watch.

It's still a results business, however. We need to start picking up results soon but starting the season without virtually any of attackers being fit has hindered an already tough start. Performances have still been improving though and once we get the additional offensive quality of Lawrence, Jozwiak, Waghorn and Ibe into the squad and working well together, i'm confident our form will turn and we'll out together a good run of form.

Patience for a few more weeks is needed with this and that's what I'm seeing is lacking from a lot of fans right now

Patience and seeing the bigger picture ?

9 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

I was lucky enough to watch football through this time as well , a big thing that has affected the home games is pride park itself .when it was being built I remember comments of we will try and make it like the baseball ground same atmosphere etc etc . Pride park while being a truly lovely stadium is absolutely rubbish for atmosphere , it's been built in a normal conventional way , what we needed was to make a new improved ground with extreme closeness to the pitch to build an atmosphere , it's very sad we missed that chance as nice as pride park is .granted the loss of standing has also drastically affected atmosphere.

Great times 

On 17/10/2020 at 00:05, HorsforthRam said:

When I was a kid and subsequently grew older, the thing about supporting Derby was that we were a loyal crowd.  “Loyal supporters “ used to be sung from the Pop side and Columbo end.  I don’t know what it is about social media that wants “quick results” or our own supporters describe us a “joke club”. We are Derby County. A  provincial club. Get behind the lads and whoever is in charge ffs. It’s a season of transition. If any of our crowd could remember the 80s in division 3, they would know what a joy it was to follow the club. We are never gonna be a Man U or Liverpool with global appeal, that’s what makes us local. Get behind a man like Cocu, a decent man. If it fails, it fails. See what he’s trying to do. We all want the same thing. We are a cult. Act like one. 

I am not Cocu out, not yet anyway but your post does strike me as being a bit dismissive of Derby's place in football. I go back a lot further than you,.1967 in fact and Derby was on the verge of competing with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool and in the early seventies we were the big club. Why can't we be a big club in the future, not yet obviously, but don't write us off. We can and will be a great club again.

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

They were the days when the football club 'lifted the town'. 

Yes and wasn't it fantastic. Everyone was proud to be from Derby and to be a Ram and the atmosphere in the town was electric. I was so lucky to be part of that and hope, in time, we can witness it again. Fan loyalty wasn't in question then!  I suppose if we could all feel that Cocu is leading us to better things we would all be loyal but a substantial number of supporters do do have legitimate concerns. Which comes first fan loyalty or Cocu and the team inspiring loyalty in the fans?

25 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Which comes first fan loyalty or Cocu and the team inspiring loyalty in the fans?

I think nowadays with the history of success, recent or in living memory, then the team has to inspire the fans. IMO the team has to inspire/win to keep the majority of fans loyal. In Cloughie's day maybe it was fan loyalty first, can't remember tbh. ? #COYR

16 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

I am not Cocu out, not yet anyway but your post does strike me as being a bit dismissive of Derby's place in football. I go back a lot further than you,.1967 in fact and Derby was on the verge of competing with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool and in the early seventies we were the big club. Why can't we be a big club in the future, not yet obviously, but don't write us off. We can and will be a great club again.

Fair point. I hope we can be a great club again too, cheers. 

This is just football, and almost every industry in the public eye, now. The cancel culture is here to stay. 

I know agents get a bad reputation, but they are very much required in this current day and age. Football clubs are ruthless in their pursuit of success, fuelled by supporters who are ready to sack players after a month of bad performances. This isn't just our club, this is every single club in the UK - from the largest to the very smallest. 

The problem is that because it's just an accepted part of the game now, it's gone that one step further and its become expected. It's become that accepted that teams now even try and come up with processes to negate the affect of managers getting sacked, i.e. independent recruitment teams. It stops players being signed by a manager who is only ever a bad month away from being out of work. 

The selection of a high quality manager is now second to the quality of environment he will work in as 99% of managers don't have the chance to create a instil a culture themselves. We are all aware that, at this level, recruitment is the most significant part of the club as that (for a non parachute payment side) is the life blood of revenue to survive. It's usually the players that create the culture too, as most of them will typically see out 2-3 managers. Craig Forsyth, for example, has been picked to start for Derby by 9 different people now and two of them had 2 different spells. 

Archived