How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

35 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I think that was the best we’ve played this season. There was a lot more first time balls, and less side-to-side between the back 3. Admittedly there were times we went backwards when in good positions, but if there’s only Rooney to aim for amongst 5 Watford defenders, what’s the point. We were playing 2 central midfielders as attacking wide men so we’re never going to have a lot of penetration. You stick a fit Ibe, Waghorn, and a 90 min Lawrence  in that team last night and we’d have been much better.

Apparently we had 1 shot on target, which I can’t remember. At home we had 1 shot on target. That’s  the best we’ve played this season, dont need to say much more.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Apparently we had 1 shot on target, which I can’t remember. At home we had 1 shot on target. That’s  the best we’ve played this season, dont need to say much more.

They didn’t until they scored. Lawrence shot at the keeper was ours...

Not his biggest fan but will acknowledge that the attacking options available to him are poor at the moment. That said we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks because that’s another 5 matches down the pan. Let’s see how the next 2 matches go and anything less than 3 points I think he’ll be on his bike. 

The biggest downside for me is that I don’t think throwing Rooney in to the fire would be a good idea.

10 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Didn't play particularly bad tonight but certainly didn't play well enough either.

Not sure what it is but something is just not working and the football is too slow and boring. Whenever we had a chance to counter attack in good numbers we slow the play down and the opposition have time to get behind the ball. It has been this way since Cocu took charge.

Very few shots on target every game aswell, i'm struggling to see the light at end of tunnel to be honest. 

Currently thinking if things don't improve by christmas when we should have all our best players up to speed, surely he will have to go?

I have always liked Cocu and want it to work but once we have everyone fit we need to see a big improvement for sure.

9 hours ago, Mckram said:

I don’t want Cocu out, but people saying that was a good performance....1 shot on target is a good performance?

It was not good but I’m optimistic that it will be better when we have Bielik, Ibe, Waghorn, Sibley, Jozwiak all in the same team.

Think it was more of a solid performance. Considering we were playing a good side in this league. Our work rate was spot on and we were battling hard. Watford defended well and cut out a lot of opportunities for us. 

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

They didn’t until they scored. Lawrence shot at the keeper was ours...

Hey I’m not saying they were much good either, I’m more worried about us and how absolutely dire, unimaginative and dull we are

1 minute ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Think it was more of a solid performance. Considering we were playing a good side in this league. Our work rate was spot on and we were battling hard. Watford defended well and cut out a lot of opportunities for us. 

Not sure you can say Watford defended well.. they just sat in 2 banks of 4 and watched us pass sideways and backwards. 

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

People keep saying about let’s get these players back in and then watch us improve. Is this the same Waghorn that is notoriously unreliable in front of goal, who needs about four chances to score one goal? Or Tom Lawrence who is slaughtered on here pretty much every week and usually has one good game in 10? Jury is still pending on Bielik. Jordon Ibe hasn’t really played competitive for at least a season. I keep saying this but he is not the same player he was five years ago. He may be good but if he is that good then why have Bournemouth released him? Jozwiak looks a good player but he can’t do it alone and shouldn’t be relied upon to win us matches. He is a young lad in a foreign country to put all our hopes on him could crush him. Then again he could relish being the main man and destroy teams. If that happens I look forward to selling him next summer.

Waghorn scores goals. 1 in 4 record which is decent. Lawrence gets hammered on a forum but he doesn’t always play badly. I am assuming Ibe will be similar to the Ibe of before. These are big players missing. We also have a new striker. 

2 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Not sure you can say Watford defended well.. they just sat in 2 banks of 4 and watched us pass sideways and backwards. 

That’s defending well. They closed out any space and I saw a lot less backwards and sideways stuff yesterday - there was endeavour to pass forward but Watford were closing down a lot of space. Similarly, we restricted Watford a fair bit also. 

2 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

I propose letting him select Ibe, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bielik, Sibley, Dutch Mike, Wisdom and CKR and then asking this question.

It’s going to be interesting who gets in to the team when everyone is fit, a pleasant selection headache for Cocu ?

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Get all the players who we’d expect to start back and fit, then judge him.

But this argument doesn’t take into account that Watford had key players missing that would have also started last night, off the top of my head: Deeney, Hughes, Sarr, Capoue

We don't play football in a vacuum by which we’re robbed by injuries and everyone else is at full strength.

The reality is that there is seldom a point where all your first choice players are magically fit - Good managers find a way to win with what they have.

Phil’s a nice bloke but not a good manager based on the evidence of his time with us.

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Personally I think the next two games will seal his fate. If we see a response, I think the pressure will ease off considerably. But anything less and it could be curtains.

I don’t say this because I am foaming at the mouth for him to go, or desperate to see a change. I want Cocu to succeed.

But I’ve said before, the Championship is too unforgiving and results always trump the best laid plans.

The mood is low after a poor end to the transfer window and a lack of necessary signings. 

How does Cocu recover support if the results also continue to go against us?

The fans won’t accept what we saw tonight against Huddersfield or Forest, especially not if we end up getting beaten.

We have to see more purpose, more bravery, more chances created, more intensity as a minimum and hopefully the results follow. 

As both Huddersfield and Forest have had similarly poor starts to the season, both games will feel more significant and decisive. I know it’s cliched, but they will feel like six pointers.

So I just sense defeats without a massive upshot in performance will see Cocu further detached from the fan base and perhaps even Mel too.

I mean look at the reaction to tonight. Can you imagine what it will be like if the same happens next week?

You want @Curtainsto take over?

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Most threads end up along the same lines. Optimists prefer to look for the positives pessimists prefer to highlight the negatives. You could almost list which slant the poster is going to take before you have read it. 

Basically it probably comes down to everyone's general disposition. 

This is a ludicrous point and borderline offensive.

I consider myself a positive person, I’m in the rare category that I actually love my job, 85% of the time anyway.

However, no amount of positivity can help me spin the fact that the game plan was dull last night, we were also playing against an injury ravaged team and had the grand total of ONE shot on target. Let’s face it, we never really looked like scoring.

I may be a cheerful kind of guy, but if you’re trying to convince me to stay upbeat about the teams performances or direction under Phil, then you’re trying to polish the proverbial turd.

10 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Personally I think it's unlikely a striker will have any support when the team is effectively set up with 7  defensive minded players on the pitch, a back 5 and 2 defensive midfielders...... really?

This, all day long. 

Can't see it getting better (except in little bursts) and I wonder where we're heading. 

Would people be happy with Wayne Rooney as manager? 

The only positive I can think of is you would think he has decent contacts in the game at Everton, United etc.

Saying that, Cocu has a great relationship with Barcelona, PSV etc and we sign Colin Kazim Richard's. Proof if you ever need it that the manager has little say on transfers.

Archived