How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

If you read my post I'm not saying mistakes haven't been made, just there has been several what if moments. Not replacing Martin is a blow but I suspect that might be more down to finances then anything.

Letting Mariott go hasn't and won't make a jot of difference. Even if he was still here I'd start above 5 players ahead of him.

I’d start Marriott above Waghorn, Rooney and Colin

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

I’d start Marriott above Waghorn, Rooney and Colin

Personally I don't think Mariott has ever really looked like a decent championship player outside of a hot streak under Lampard and the Leeds second leg. He's a poacher that hasn't been scoring and has a poor shots to goal conversion rate. Ultimately he scored a hatful of goals for a Peterborough side somewhat known for setting up to produce a striker conveyor belt. There has just been too many games where he's either been wasteful or completely anonymous for us.

Waghorn, for his faults, generally affects games. Physically challenges defenders and generally causes them problems. He might not be the most prolific but he's a pretty sure bet to hit low to mid teens in this division.

Rooney is more of a presence than Mariott and has exceptional technical ability. As much as I probably wouldn't go with up front right, he's probably the most likely player in the squad to score out of nothing.

Colin we've barely seen but seems to be physically imposing and looks to an extent like he can bully centre backs.

I'd have also started Stretton or Hector-Ingram before Mariott were he still here. To be honest I'd probably start them in front of some of the above as well.

Archived