How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all have to lower our expectations for the next month or so. I see this as the same sort of situation as Nigel. And remember in his second full season we only just finished above the relegation zone.

After the Blackburn game we had to see a reaction and a desire. We got that and I think Watford was a better performance. Lawrence in his brief time on the pitch, could have walked away with a goal and an assist.

What we were missing is creativity. The players to come into the team will all add that.

People talk about Mac could get this team flying. But his team never flew when he just lost Martin. If you took Eustace, Russell and Ward out aswell. What would you expect?

I would have taken 2 points from these last two games. We got 3. I see positive signs. 

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The problem is that we take too long to get the ball up the pitch. Like the sky analysis alluded to, it takes 4/5 passes to get the ball up the pitch, which gives the opposition plenty of time to get their shape. Once the ball is in the final 3rd its always going to be difficult to break 2 banks of 4 down. We desperately need to be more direct! 

..and as if by magic, once we got Lawrence on the pitch, turning & running with it, spotting gaps and attempting incisive passes and through-balls, we got up the pitch faster.

its almost as if to play direct, fast attacking football you need players capable of doing it, and that the more of them you have available to you the better you'll play and the more chances you'll create.

Bloody hell we leaked 4 against Blackburn  (created enough clear chances to score 3 ourselves) and people demanding (rightly) that the players show more effort and desire, that we adopt a style more suited to the players we have available, that if we have to play a certain way to try and grind out points until the better players came back then so be it.

..but with the players available that means trying to keep it tight defensively and trying to score on the counter or from a 'moment of magic'.

2 games into this approach, 1 win and 1 defeat and people are shouting NEGATIVE FOOTBALL from the rooftops. What did they think would happen?

21 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I think we all have to lower our expectations for the next month or so. I see this as the same sort of situation as Nigel. And remember in his second full season we only just finished above the relegation zone.

After the Blackburn game we had to see a reaction and a desire. We got that and I think Watford was a better performance. Lawrence in his brief time on the pitch, could have walked away with a goal and an assist.

What we were missing is creativity. The players to come into the team will all add that.

People talk about Mac could get this team flying. But his team never flew when he just lost Martin. If you took Eustace, Russell and Ward out aswell. What would you expect?

I would have taken 2 points from these last two games. We got 3. I see positive signs. 

Agreed, I don’t feel too disheartened after last night. I realise that if all goes to plan in 3 or 4 weeks the team will look a lot different ?

21 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The next two matches is all Cocu has I suspect,if we lose those two,the pressure on him and Mel will be unbearable.

Only if he looks online. He could quite easily just turn his phone off and wouldn't notice any different ?

Cocu has the rest of the season for me, which obviously includes the next window. If Morris doesn’t give him that then he is a Bamford.

I am happy that this should be another ‘progress year’ as he starts blending in the players he has been involved with bringing to the club, and the ones he has identified from the Academy set-up. Ibe, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bielik, Sibley, Te Wierek, Wisdom, Duncan and CKR were all missing from the starting 11 last night. I would expect us to end somewhere mid-to-upper table, perhaps like last season making a late effort for the playoffs.

REMEMBER. Cocu joined the club at a time when Morris made it pretty clear that he was not wanting to put more of his personal wealth in the club, seeking alternatively third party investment, he wanted the wage bill cut significantly (was it by 50%?) and that the first team should include 5 Academy products. The investment received from Dell is more likely to have been used to date to shore up the club’s finances, including covering deferred player wages, until the EFL (and Govt) come to making decisions that might offer some hope of sustainability to Championship clubs, and those lower in the tiers.  I doubt any of the Dell money has been allocated to Cocu for player recruitment, and that he had to generate the funds by wheeler dealing to operate in this window. He seems to have uncomplainingly selected Bogle and Lowe as the two ‘starlets’ to go, which would have been the two I would have let go too, and he looks to generally have spent his money wisely on a blend of youth and experience. What a great pity for him he couldn’t get Durson, but again has anyone heard him complain.

He has operated throughout his tenure with one hand tied behind his back, and at times his second hand has been nailed to his desk - Joinersgate, Wisdom Attack, etc.

Too many fans are overlooking what Cocu has had to put up with, and are comparing him unfavourably to the financial support that previous Managers were given.  This is a different time, and Cocu I think as a Manager has done well all things considered, coping with the injuries, blooding young players, dealing with off-pitch matters, and I think has been astute in the transfer market. He has identified from last season where we are weak, particularly in regards to flair, and now I hope he can get his full squad fit and available very soon to see what he can do, particularly when he has a mobile front 4 he can alternate.  Joswiak, Waghorn, Lawrence, Duncan, Whittaker, Ibe and Sibley all have a lot to offer and to improve our attacking threat.  He only had two of those options last night, and one of them probably only had 30 mins in the tank to give.

I despair at some of the comments on here saying 2 weeks or 2 more games. So bloody fickle are some. Get real, because if you want to replace Cocu who do you think you are going to get? As the club looks at the moment there probably isn’t any other decent Manager who would think objectively they could do better than Cocu has done so far.

People saying give him to jan or give him the season. At what point does them opinions change? Or are some fans genuinely unconcerned about playing League 1 football next season if it means we can field 3 or 4 youngsters and implement the ‘Derby Way?’

I’d give him till at least the end of November as a minimum but I’d give him till jan. one things for certain the scouting teams needs sacking. They’ve let him down again. Cocu has been very open on what he wants and he’s just not getting it

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Cocu has the rest of the season for me, which obviously includes the next window. If Morris doesn’t give him that then he is a Bamford.

I am happy that this should be another ‘progress year’ as he starts blending in the players he has been involved with bringing to the club, and the ones he has identified from the Academy set-up. Ibe, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bielik, Sibley, Te Wierek, Wisdom, Duncan and CKR were all missing from the starting 11 last night. I would expect us to end somewhere mid-to-upper table, perhaps like last season making a late effort for the playoffs.

REMEMBER. Cocu joined the club at a time when Morris made it pretty clear that he was not wanting to put more of his personal wealth in the club, seeking alternatively third party investment, he wanted the wage bill cut significantly (was it by 50%?) and that the first team should include 5 Academy products. The investment received from Dell is more likely to have been used to date to shore up the club’s finances, including covering deferred player wages, until the EFL (and Govt) come to making decisions that might offer some hope of sustainability to Championship clubs, and those lower in the tiers.  I doubt any of the Dell money has been allocated to Cocu for player recruitment, and that he had to generate the funds by wheeler dealing to operate in this window. He seems to have uncomplainingly selected Bogle and Lowe as the two ‘starlets’ to go, which would have been the two I would have let go too, and he looks to generally have spent his money wisely on a blend of youth and experience. What a great pity for him he couldn’t get Durson, but again has anyone heard him complain.

He has operated throughout his tenure with one hand tied behind his back, and at times his second hand has been nailed to his desk - Joinersgate, Wisdom Attack, etc.

Too many fans are overlooking what Cocu has had to put up with, and are comparing him unfavourably to the financial support that previous Managers were given.  This is a different time, and Cocu I think as a Manager has done well all things considered, coping with the injuries, blooding young players, dealing with off-pitch matters, and I think has been astute in the transfer market. He has identified from last season where we are weak, particularly in regards to flair, and now I hope he can get his full squad fit and available very soon to see what he can do, particularly when he has a mobile front 4 he can alternate.  Joswiak, Waghorn, Lawrence, Duncan, Whittaker, Ibe and Sibley all have a lot to offer and to improve our attacking threat.  He only had two of those options last night, and one of them probably only had 30 mins in the tank to give.

I despair at some of the comments on here saying 2 weeks or 2 more games. So bloody fickle are some. Get real, because if you want to replace Cocu who do you think you are going to get? As the club looks at the moment there probably isn’t any other decent Manager who would think objectively they could do better than Cocu has done so far.

One of the posts of the year. So right and eloquently put. Well done ?

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Derby County will always attract managers! A manager like Paul Cook would be honoured to manage a big club like Derby. 

Let’s face it if Mel wants to sell up he’s better leaving the club in the hands of Cook than Cocu. The reason Cocu is in charge of the club is to develop players to then ultimately sell on. Let’s be real, if the club were really keen on this “class of 19“ then Bogle and Lowe would have been kept. 

Let be real here the objective for Mel is to get as much return from the club as possible, while pulling the wool over supporters eyes. The narrative on Rams TV and social media is that we are challenging for the top 6, but that is simply impossible with the squads experience, and depth. I’m definitely not falling for it.

16 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Let be real here the objective for Mel is to get as much return from the club as possible, while pulling the wool over supporters eyes. The narrative on Rams TV and social media is that we are challenging for the top 6, but that is simply impossible with the squads experience, and depth. I’m definitely not falling for it.

I doubt very much gets past you Deano.

End of the season. It’s the minimum he needs after all the upheaval and restructuring of the team he has started to do .

Yes , it may be boring atm.

Yes it won’t be pretty and entertaining atm.

But he must be given time to shape the team and get them all fit and playing as he wants them too.

Switching the management again and the next manager will face the same constraints and I am dubious that the result would be any different.

Just take a breath and let him do his job then judge him at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Jortat said:

End of the season. It’s the minimum he needs after all the upheaval and restructuring of the team he has started to do .

Yes , it may be boring atm.

Yes it won’t be pretty and entertaining atm.

But he must be given time to shape the team and get them all fit and playing as he wants them too.

Switching the management again and the next manager will face the same constraints and I am dubious that the result would be any different.

Just take a breath and let him do his job then judge him at the end of the season.

What he said.

Archived