How much time do we give Phil?

Chris_Martin

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to remember that Cocu built a title winning side making a £100m profit in the process.

The next manager isn’t going to have that kind of record, not even close, so why not give it to the academy coaches? They’ll be cheap enough, which will help with the massive loss that we will make paying off Cocu and co. 

Personally I think the next two games will seal his fate. If we see a response, I think the pressure will ease off considerably. But anything less and it could be curtains.

I don’t say this because I am foaming at the mouth for him to go, or desperate to see a change. I want Cocu to succeed.

But I’ve said before, the Championship is too unforgiving and results always trump the best laid plans.

The mood is low after a poor end to the transfer window and a lack of necessary signings. 

How does Cocu recover support if the results also continue to go against us?

The fans won’t accept what we saw tonight against Huddersfield or Forest, especially not if we end up getting beaten.

We have to see more purpose, more bravery, more chances created, more intensity as a minimum and hopefully the results follow. 

As both Huddersfield and Forest have had similarly poor starts to the season, both games will feel more significant and decisive. I know it’s cliched, but they will feel like six pointers.

So I just sense defeats without a massive upshot in performance will see Cocu further detached from the fan base and perhaps even Mel too.

I mean look at the reaction to tonight. Can you imagine what it will be like if the same happens next week?

I’m done with Phil, I think we desperately need a bounce, a whole change of mood and thought process around the place.

He seems like a good guy and I desperately wanted it to work out for him, especially given the general fondness we British seem to feel about the great Dutch and Barcelona sides that he was part of.

But, alas, it just hasn’t worked out.

Maybe it’s time for Wassall to be given the reigns, I think the guy deserves the rest of the season, given the loyalty he has shown to the club.

At least we will see some attacking intent under our Dazza. If it’s too soon for Wazza, then surely he could neatly slip into the assistant manager role, continue his managerial ‘education’.

4 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I think he'll get until November. Mel won't sack him until he has no other option. If he loses the next 4 that's it. If we start the next game with the same setup as the previous two with a back 3/5 I'll be very disappointed. I hope it's just for when we play the big teams. If this is our new permanent formation then it means the whole of last season, which was sacrificed in order to learn a new system, will have been for nothing  

If we keep this negoatiations duck wit we’re going down. Get rid and employ someone who at least had a go 

8 hours ago, Topram said:

Let him get a good run of games with Beliek Ibe Jozwaik Waghorn Lawrence back in 

People keep saying about let’s get these players back in and then watch us improve. Is this the same Waghorn that is notoriously unreliable in front of goal, who needs about four chances to score one goal? Or Tom Lawrence who is slaughtered on here pretty much every week and usually has one good game in 10? Jury is still pending on Bielik. Jordon Ibe hasn’t really played competitive for at least a season. I keep saying this but he is not the same player he was five years ago. He may be good but if he is that good then why have Bournemouth released him? Jozwiak looks a good player but he can’t do it alone and shouldn’t be relied upon to win us matches. He is a young lad in a foreign country to put all our hopes on him could crush him. Then again he could relish being the main man and destroy teams. If that happens I look forward to selling him next summer.

Terrible last season apart from a small little patch after lockdown, played a virtual 3rd team against our biggest rivals in the cup (and got hammered). This season 2 goals in 7 games win only 1 win, boring negative football, let Martin and Marriott leave and replaced them with a 34yr old Journeyman, barmy team selections. How much time should we give him? I’d give him till Sunday morning that’s only because we have so many coaching staff it’ll take them that long to clear out their lockers. Nice bloke, but dull as dish water 

He just needs all the players fit, 4 more transfer windows, the wind to be blowing in the right direction, a replacement for Chris Martin, all the other teams in the league to have a horrible dip in form, find the right formation, a replacement for Igor Stimac,play in white socks and the fans to be back.....then he will turn us around and we will get promotion.

I for one am very positive 

9 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Didn't play particularly bad tonight but certainly didn't play well enough either.

Not sure what it is but something is just not working and the football is too slow and boring. Whenever we had a chance to counter attack in good numbers we slow the play down and the opposition have time to get behind the ball. It has been this way since Cocu took charge.

Very few shots on target every game aswell, i'm struggling to see the light at end of tunnel to be honest. 

Currently thinking if things don't improve by christmas when we should have all our best players up to speed, surely he will have to go?

I think that was the best we’ve played this season. There was a lot more first time balls, and less side-to-side between the back 3. Admittedly there were times we went backwards when in good positions, but if there’s only Rooney to aim for amongst 5 Watford defenders, what’s the point. We were playing 2 central midfielders as attacking wide men so we’re never going to have a lot of penetration. You stick a fit Ibe, Waghorn, and a 90 min Lawrence  in that team last night and we’d have been much better.

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I think that was the best we’ve played this season. There was a lot more first time balls, and less side-to-side between the back 3. Admittedly there were times we went backwards when in good positions, but if there’s only Rooney to aim for amongst 5 Watford defenders, what’s the point. We were playing 2 central midfielders as attacking wide men so we’re never going to have a lot of penetration. You stick a fit Ibe, Waghorn, and a 90 min Lawrence  in that team last night and we’d have been much better.

I wasn’t too disappointed with the performance. Thought Watford shaded it but we could easily have got a point. Some positives, Knight gets better every game and Byrne looks a steal. Buchanan also did well. Great to see Tom back and at it. I don’t think we are too far away from turning this around when we have a full squad to choose from ?

12 minutes ago, leamram said:

He just needs all the players fit, 4 more transfer windows, the wind to be blowing in the right direction, a replacement for Chris Martin, all the other teams in the league to have a horrible dip in form, find the right formation, a replacement for Igor Stimac,play in white socks and the fans to be back.....then he will turn us around and we will get promotion.

I for one am very positive 

Agree, white socks definitely the key ?

7 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Dont want him gone, but if by next international break (mid November) results havve not picked up I wouldn't be surprised if we have a caretaker manager, Wayne something....Not necessarily what I think should happen btw.

Think you are right esp given the efl appeal and points deduction hanging over us also. 

I'm all for giving manager time, but the way we play is seriously grinding me down. There is literally no penetration whatsoever! 

I'm not keen whats going on off the pitch as well. There is too much propaganda from the top down and too much emphasis on youth football. I'm all for integrating youth into the team but it has gone too far for me. 

What we need is a manger to look after the top and bottom of football operations and more importantly an owner who doesn't interfere with almost impossible aims and objectives!

I like Cocu, he’s had a lot to deal with in his time at the club and has handled everything with a touch of class. We have had numerous injuries as well as the off the field stuff and I would like to see him have a run of games with a fully fit squad of players that are his. 
That said, it is concerning that having known since pre-season and also the back end of last season that injuries and problems with signings were likely he hasn’t settled on a system and personnel to ride out this period of time until players are back. We have been so easy to play against, conceded too many goals, I get the lack of creativity because of the players missing so surely you then make yourself hard to beat?! 
I wouldn’t necessarily want him to be sacked but if we lose on Tuesday and against Forest I’m not sure how he can’t be? 

Archived