4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1?

RamLad1884

What do we think? Cocu seems like his 4-2-3-1 moving into 5 at the back when defending. 

Surely yesterday shows exactly why we should play 4-3-3. Knight is outstanding as a number 8 in the middle and Bird/Bielik to fight for the DM role is a great choice. Sibley/Holmes/Shinnie to fight for the third spot. 

Couple that with our attacking fullbacks and wide forwards it seems like 4-3-3 is a no brainer. Ibe/Jozwiak/Lawrence and even Waghorn are not wide midfielders and just won't work in a three behind the striker. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Cocu wants to play Rooney then he has to play No 10 role.

This is the only role in the team  once injured players are back then he can have rests we would have so many options.

The players we have we should be able to adapt to any situation the match and opposition requires. If Rooney plays then the only choice for me is 4-2-3-1 the 2 defensive midfielders have to be strong and loads of energy the run by Knight in the 86 minute was incredible who else could of done that he didn’t stop all game. This must be his position and i would prefer Bielik next to him.

For me I think the Squad looks very good with 2 more in and a couple out ??

Up The Rams 

4-3-3 every day of the week, given the style of football we play. 

Don’t get me wrong, 4-2-3-1 can be a very effective formation as well - if you’re a counter attacking side. It gives you that extra defensive shield to help withstand pressure from the opposition, and also gives you an extra man going forward to overload on the break. But to have success with that style, you really need to be extremely resolute at the back, as well as have a fair amount of pace going forward with clinical strikers. That’s why it worked so well under Rowett, when we had Keogh and Davies at the back, and Vydra up front. Now though, with our current squad, we’re not capable of playing that way. Setting up 4-2-3-1 when you’re trying to play possession based football isn’t ideal - you end up with too much of a gap between your defensive and attacking units, which you can’t transition through.

That’s why I’d be looking to switch to 4-3-3 as our main formation ASAP. It would leave us with a much stronger midfield, with more options to pass to when moving from back to front. Would suit our style much better IMO.

I think I've said before else where but I dont believe 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are vastly different, more down to the personnel and roles in the midifeld 3 than anything else.

If you start Bird, Shinnie and Sibley - thats 4-2-3-1

If you start Shinnie, Sibley and Knight - thats 4-3-3

At least thats how I think about it, I'm sure we'll bounce between the two.

I expect next game against Watford to be the 5-4-1 again as they are a good team but against weaker teams who sit back we will struggle to score. The 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 allows us to get more players further forward

In theory 5-4-1 works for me: our WB’s like to get forward, Davies is a great leader but lacks pace so a three helps cover that. Evans/Clarke/Wiz can bring it forward.

As long as the lone striker is supported by midfield runners/wingers cutting in (which will be achievable with WB’s getting forward) then it can be free-flowing good football.

The two downsides are picking just two from Bird, Sibley, Knight, Rooney, Bielik, Holmes, plus Lawrence if we look to use him as a no.10. And secondly having an Ikea unit of a striker to hold the ball up.

18 minutes ago, Taribo said:

In theory 5-4-1 works for me: our WB’s like to get forward, Davies is a great leader but lacks pace so a three helps cover that. Evans/Clarke/Wiz can bring it forward.

As long as the lone striker is supported by midfield runners/wingers cutting in (which will be achievable with WB’s getting forward) then it can be free-flowing good football.

The two downsides are picking just two from Bird, Sibley, Knight, Rooney, Bielik, Holmes, plus Lawrence if we look to use him as a no.10. And secondly having an Ikea unit of a striker to hold the ball up.

Bielik plus one other....

I have been shouting formation change since last season.

It yielded instant results, although it has to be said: we did have the margins on our side.

The only real critique would be to move Rooney down and give someone with more pace a chance at CF

Im still very happy with the result and it seems most of what we’ve complained about is being amended.

Im am sure Cocu spends his late nights scrolling the forum for knowledge ?

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Is this a picture from when football had radically passed him by and he got Forest relegated? 

They won the league cup in 1990 and got to the FA Cup Final in 91. league cup final again in 92.  The relegation in 92-93 was more to do with him being overtaken by alcoholism rather than being overtaken by football tactics.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Is this a picture from when football had radically passed him by and he got Forest relegated? 

Have to say I know we don't like Forest but this was a sad day when it was obvious Clough was past it....such a shame he didn't go out of football with more....always be a legend 

Archived