Norwich City Vs Derby County

Millenniumram

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jayram said:

Well the good news is we’ve tightened up considerably from last week, but my god it’s hideous football to watch. Thank god I haven’t paid to watch this.

I’ve been critical of the performances the last few weeks but you’ve got to start somewhere I’d be happy with a few of these, establish a base at the back and build from there.

On another note,George Evans balls into the channels has been very good. A bit of a lost skill these days but a great tactic against a decent side away.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Curtis is generally fantastic in a backs against the wall performance. He’s our best defender in terms of pure old-school defending.

That’s why he was so good and so highly rated when Rowett was here. As soon as we become the side on the front foot who opens up and tries to play, then it’s a different story. But in games like this he’s perfect.

Davies fits the back three in general, not just a backs against wall performance IMO.

His positioning sense and marshalling of the back line is great , but he needs an easy pass when he's on the ball, so having 2 ball playing CBs either side of him means he can just find one of them with an easy pass instead of chancing a forward pass into midfield.

I don't mind this 3 at the back formation if we can also get the players who can control a game involved in it and create some good chances.

6 minutes ago, jono said:

Well ! First 15 mins Norwich burnt a lot of fuel, made us look slow and vulnerable. They have some tricky players.

Better last 30. Some breaks, plenty of work. .. it’s not exciting but it is absorbing. Defence has done well. Holmes and Kam the man have energy. 

Byrne looks like the Best Buy in a long time. 

Like the look of Byrne , doing a good job

I actually enjoyed that. It's been long time since we've looked solid, made very few errors and stopped a good team playing against us.  We've got a bit of flair and creativity on the pitch too so fancy us to make some decent chances second half.

We're playing like a solid Championship team who often rock up at Pride Park and do us over.

Much happier with us today Byrne Holmes Buchanan all doing well Set up is good and if we just don’t lose that will be ok - although can see us scoring. With Ibe and Lawrence   to come in I’m more optimistic 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

When you consider what this game comes off the back of, we don’t look soft bellied and easy to beat which is the polar opposite of last week. 

It’s uninspiring but bookies favourites restricted to 2 shots at home isn’t the worst thing. 

1 thing I would change is Knight for Holmes. Get Holmes in the middle and get Knight working together with Byrne down that right. 

Knight looks very accomplished. Shinnie does what is needed. Rooney looks fitter. Holmes is lively. Davies is the difference for me. Cool customer, no fuss, just clear the ball away. Jozwiak will prosper with Ibe. Dutch Mike not aggressive enough in previous games. Wiz not fully fit. Stick with Clark and Davies. Evans can defend and he is pretty quick. Austin on loan will score if given chances in box. 

We are obviously playing for a 0-0, so in that respect, you would have to say: so far, so good where the gameplan is concerned.

But it just shows where we lack quality and need new signings - in central midfield and in the striker position.

From a defensive standpoint, we have taken the sting out of the game and weathered the early storm.

But going forward, we are beyond limited. No ball retention in midfield, no service to players who can hurt the opposition like Jozwiak. 

Hopefully we can hang on.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The current style is basically, here Jozwiak have the ball and we’re all going to stand here and watch you. Of course he is going to look poor in this set up.

When we have the ball, very worst I’d expect to see Byrne, Buchanan, Holmes and Knight busy a gut to get forward but they don’t.

Holmes is scared to make any kind of run without the ball that requires physical exercise.

It might be 0-0 at the moment but if this is the medium to longer term style that we’re going to do, then fans will turn soon.

Lots of the fans turned because Cocu is apparently stubborn and just wants to play perfect football.

The quality isn’t great but guess what? The quality of players isn’t great. But it’s been exactly what’s needed in my opinion. Obviously we won’t play like this every week but it’s a much better platform than gifting goals every week.

Some people will never be happy. We’ve created the same as Norwich, and that’s duck all. 

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I actually enjoyed that. It's been long time since we've looked solid, made very few errors and stopped a good team playing against us.  We've got a bit of flair and creativity on the pitch too so fancy us to make some decent chances second half.

We're playing like a solid Championship team who often rock up at Pride Park and do us over.

Exactly this, ariot........

Archived