Norwich City Vs Derby County

Millenniumram

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good solid half. We seem to have frustrated Norwich effectively and it wouldn't surprise me too much if we managed to nick one.  Boring as hell to watch but the sort of performance (so far) we need after last week.

Just now, Justa said:

Norwich not as good as I thought they would be - we’ve dug in and done ok - dull though 

We're working to make them look not as good as we thought they would be. 

Gotta keep it up for another 45, mind. 

A few half-time thoughts:

- Buchanan having a much better game, thank god.

- Evans looks comfortable in possession but is too often slowing our tempo down by taking such a long time to play the ball.

- Shinnie: what a player he could be if he could pass a ball. Agh.

- Holmes: don't think he looks right personally. Not sure he's comfortable out wide with all that space. Pretty sure we've known this since Lampard, too ?

- Jozwiak: Lively... he'll make things happen when we start playing better and quicker.

You know what, I’ll actually take that first half. First 20 mins was genuinely horrible, but once we went a bit more attacking and switched to more like a 343, we started to look like we might actually have a little bit of threat. Defensively we’ve been pretty good, letting them have too much space in the wide areas sometimes, but the return of Clarke and Davies has helped us become more solid in the middle. We’re still desperately lacking a striker with a bit of mobility mind, which is why we’re still struggling to create clear cut chances.

The game is still there for us though, if we’re a bit braver. Taking Shinnie off and moving Holmes in field might help, if we put Whittaker on RW.

Just now, Richard246 said:

Shinnie and knight been brilliant.

Get Ibe flying new striker will be ok 

Exactly this. While it's clear there is something we are lacking still, it hasn't been a bad half considering our position. Bring back in Lawrence, Bielik, Waggy with a fully fit Ibe and we should be significantly better.

Liking Knight and Shinnie in the middle, especially Knight. We do look to play forward.

We're looking resilient which is great news. We're more defensively assured and Davies is managing the back line very well. Byrne and Buchanan have been fantastic outlets for us and have done a fantastic job. But I genuinely don't see where the goals are going to come from. Rooney is nowhere near the box half the time, and no one from midfield is running into the box from deep. In the few chances we've been near their box, there's been no movement or incisive runs leaving the only option as a back pass.

I'd like to see Knight and Evans pass the ball backwards less and see if we can just take more chances, using Jozwiak and Holmes pace in the channels.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Says who, they look like they're playing through porridge?

They have the value of our starting lineup today playing right-back. Not to mention the rest of their lineup.

We're working to make them look like "they're playing through porridge". 

Good solid half. Been calling for Davies to start. People saying he's past it and doesn't fit our system. Rubbish and he's just proven them wrong. Only true defender we have at the club. Back are far more organised. Byrne having a good game too.

Shinnie to come off and Bird on after 60 minutes please. Hector Ingram for Rooney 70 minutes and Whiticker around the same time. 

Agree about shinnie being the worst on the ball but off the ball been really good, Only downside to this game if your wanting excitement is now we have gone very effective defensive but now look even further away from scoring. ALways good to be solid though and nick a goal. 

Curtis is generally fantastic in a backs against the wall performance. He’s our best defender in terms of pure old-school defending.

That’s why he was so good and so highly rated when Rowett was here. As soon as we become the side on the front foot who opens up and tries to play, then it’s a different story. But in games like this he’s perfect.

Buendia created the second most chances p90 in the Prem last season (behind only a top 3 player in the world), and Aarons is wanted by two CL semi finalists. Full credit to Buchanan and Jozwiak so far that they haven’t done a huge amount.

I remember McClaren’s big thing was “earning the right to play.” At times we haven’t done that, we’ve thought we can turn up and think the opposition will stand and watch as we pass pretty triangles around and eventually walk it in but today it does feel like we’ve turned up and been prepared to roll our sleeves up. It’s pretty much exactly the response I wanted from last week and the week of meetings that apparently have occurred.

A positive result of some sort would be great but I just wanted to see a spot on attitude and that’s what we’ve had so far.

9 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

We’re so deep. I feel if we keep playing this way it will ruin Jozwiak and Ibe. There wingers who want to attack not have to stay in shape and receive the ball with every player in our own half

I think this a tad dramatic. Be realistic, we are low on confidence, away from home against a very good side. Cocu needs to get back to basics and reset- the players have done that so far...

Archived