Jordan Obita

DCFC1388

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How long do you think before world beating Lowe becomes first choice with the blades ? Yes, the fact Fozzy has played for Scotland suggested he was Scottish ?

The accent was a hint too ? probably more of a hint than a Scotland cap, where you just need your granny to have lived there for a week....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Depends how long it takes him to settle in. He’ll have to win his place. Doesn’t change the fact that he was a good left back at this level, hence why he was snapped up by the division above.

Matter of time until a full England call up do you think ? 

9 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

While i'm no expert, I've heard that once you do an ACL, it heals back stronger and doesn't usually become a persistent issue.

Incidentally, Forsyth seems to be the exception to the rule there having done it 3 times which is fairly impressive 

Unfortunately, I can rule this one out. Bones gets stronger when they snapbit ligaments become weaker. This quote is straight from one research:

Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) surgery is a common knee injury procedure, but the overall incidence rate of having to go through it again within 24 months is six times greater than someone who has never had an ACL tear, according to researchers.

I've done ACL three times as well and I've had some problems in my knee ever since. Ligament injuries are much, much worse than 13 broken bones what I've experienced due football. 

5 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Unfortunately, I can rule this one out. Bones gets stronger when they snapbit ligaments become weaker. This quote is straight from one research:

Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) surgery is a common knee injury procedure, but the overall incidence rate of having to go through it again within 24 months is six times greater than someone who has never had an ACL tear, according to researchers.

I've done ACL three times as well and I've had some problems in my knee ever since. Ligament injuries are much, much worse than 13 broken bones what I've experienced due football

Derby Taverners league was always a bit brutal ?

If we are going to sign a new LB is should be one who is decent defensively and in the air for the balance of the team. 

Playing 2 smaller, attacking full backs in a back four could lead to trouble especially if we have no one else big in the team. If we had Davis up front and Bielik in front of the back 4 it would become more advisable.

6 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I've done ACL three times as well and I've had some problems in my knee ever since. Ligament injuries are much, much worse than 13 broken bones what I've experienced due football. 

Not disagreeing with you at all, the research is there for a reason.  All I will add is that ligaments heal with limitations to the body, but not to all activities.

My example is my own experience - I damaged my LCL in my right knee playing football about 6 years ago. It was pretty bad contact injury (opposition crashed into my leg which forced leg to bend unnaturally and damage ligament). No surgery needed but was on crutches for 2 months and didn't play any sport for 6 months. 6 years later, I can play a 90 minute game of football at full speed with no real bother to my knee. But, I can't drive for more than 2 hours without my knee becoming uncomfortable, due to the angle it is held at.

Sorry if that was boring! Point is, Obita may be able to play at a decent level still, with careful management. If he comes at a decent cost, without a high wage hit, it could still be a good deal. However, if the ligament damage has indeed effected his playing ability, we may be better looking elsewhere, regardless of cost.

17 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

While i'm no expert, I've heard that once you do an ACL, it heals back stronger and doesn't usually become a persistent issue.

Incidentally, Forsyth seems to be the exception to the rule there having done it 3 times which is fairly impressive 

Technically it is stronger as the new ligament is stronger than the original. However when they strip the old ligament out you lose all the nerves that sensed when the ligament was over stretched, etc. So the new ligament isn’t as smart (if that makes sense) and relies upon it’s strength and the strengthening of the muscles around the joint to help catch it before it goes again, one of the reasons the rehab is so long.

As for re-ruptures, there was a study in Serie A last year that concluded 25% of players who had done their ACL ended up re-rupturing it again.

So Fozzy isn’t particularly unique in that regard

26 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Technically it is stronger as the new ligament is stronger than the original. However when they strip the old ligament out you lose all the nerves that sensed when the ligament was over stretched, etc. So the new ligament isn’t as smart (if that makes sense) and relies upon it’s strength and the strengthening of the muscles around the joint to help catch it before it goes again, one of the reasons the rehab is so long.

As for re-ruptures, there was a study in Serie A last year that concluded 25% of players who had done their ACL ended up re-rupturing it again.

Gazza had a ligament transplant from a deceased person if  I remember correctly. Just saying. Some tackles are best just avoided. I have seen quite a number of players get seriously injured from a pointless challenge or tackle. Didn't Fozzy do his on the touchline just pulling up.

59 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Unless, of course, you had to opt for physio and your ACL in a jar of formaldahyde, in which case it is always loose and weak.  It can also result in a total replacement of the knee due to osteo-arthritis. Admittedly, that was 30 years later.......worth the trauma though.   **Hope this isn't too graphic.**

IMG_0913.JPG

3 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Unless, of course, you had to opt for physio and your ACL in a jar of formaldahyde, in which case it is always loose and weak.  It can also result in a total replacement of the knee due to osteo-arthritis. Admittedly, that was 30 years later.......worth the trauma though.   **Hope this isn't too graphic.**

IMG_0913.JPG

Typically ACLs are reconstructed using hamstring tendons from the same leg. Stripped and doubled over to make the new ACL. Held by a staple a screw or a bone plug. Re ruptures are quite common 

30 minutes ago, RedSox said:

IMG_0913.JPG

Sympathies extended.

26 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Typically ACLs are reconstructed using hamstring tendons from the same leg. Stripped and doubled over to make the new ACL. Held by a staple a screw or a bone plug. Re ruptures are quite common 

This is exactly the ACL repair I had, albeit about 15 years ago.

Obviously you can see the screw on x-rays. Unfortunately they had to drill the bone to create scar tissue to act as the miniscus as this had virtually worn away to nothing.

They told me the ACL is much stronger post op but the natural flexibility is just not the same.

I wonder what the insurance position is like if we signed Obita and if he re-reputured - could we ensure our costs in wages are covered?  

Even with his history I’d still take him, again like Ibe, 2 years to keep him hungry to earn more.

Cheers

Gangway D with one knee from the terrace 

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Gazza had a ligament transplant from a deceased person if  I remember correctly. Just saying. Some tackles are best just avoided. I have seen quite a number of players get seriously injured from a pointless challenge or tackle. Didn't Fozzy do his on the touchline just pulling up.

Yeah, some are from really innocuous twists where the ligament just gets overloaded and some are from much more traumatic impacts.

There seems to be no hard or fast rule with ACL’s

Archived