Jordan Obita

DCFC1388

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I agree with some parts but I disagree that the order doesn't matter , a striker is needed as soon as possible to start picking up results , where as we can manage without the LB in the short term , the games at the start of the season could be the difference come the end of the season , with an extra 9 points last season we could be in the play offs 

I agree a striker is definitely needed more than a left back. 

But if the striker we want isn't available now then what are we supposed to do? Go down to our 2nd/3rd/4th choice just to get one in to please fans?

If Obita is available and he's interested in coming there's no doubt that there will be other clubs interested. In these times to get a proven left back on a free. There will be a few clubs in for him.

Are we supposed to just pass up the opportunity to sign him because we need to sign a striker first?

Even if we sign a left back or not. We'll still sign a striker. 

I just don't understand how it can be used as a stick to beat the club with if we don't sign the striker before we sign a left back? 

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree a striker is definitely needed more than a left back. 

But if the striker we want isn't available now then what are we supposed to do? Go down to our 2nd/3rd/4th choice just to get one in to please fans?

If Obita is available and he's interested in coming there's no doubt that there will be other clubs interested. In these times to get a proven left back on a free. There will be a few clubs in for him.

Are we supposed to just pass up the opportunity to sign him because we need to sign a striker first?

Even if we sign a left back or not. We'll still sign a striker. 

I just don't understand how it can be used as a stick to beat the club with if we don't sign the striker before we sign a left back? 

Yeah I get that,  I feel like obita would be a coup if he stays fit on a free transfer , but would take a while to get fit anyway I would of thought,  but I think fans are moaning because transfers that we have already made took a while to be completed and the longer we go without a striker the more points we will drop and the more chance we have of a last minute panic buy like nick blackman ?

Poor old Fozzy, pre-knee op I thought he was one of the best left backs in the Championship, and whilst he's done okay for us since his return, we all know he's peaked and on the decline. 

Obita always looked good for Reading and more than above average, but not one I can say I've seen play against us that I've come away and said "I'd love him in our team". Example, Tom Cairney - Completely ran the show in the four games against Fulham the other season. 

If he's free (I know, they are never 'free') and it's a sensible package then he's definitely better than what we have and would improve us.

Let's have him.

Cheers

Gangway D from the terrace 

Interesting link this, think a few suggested him in the suggestions thread? I wouldn’t say LB is a priority at the moment, that remains a new first choice striker. But I do think it’s a position that it’s becoming increasingly obvious we need an improvement in, given we lost our best player there in Lowe. Forsyth is on the decline and injury prone, while Buchanan is unproven. It’s a bit of a risk going into the season with those as our only options. I’d make sure we get a striker first, but if we have any remaining resources after that, I’d put them towards a left back. Maybe might be able to make use of the 2 week domestic only window to make a last minute signing? Might be some players unwanted by Prem teams who we could pick up on cheap loans.

In terms of Obita himself... he’s played a fair few games at this level so he’s gotta be pretty decent. How much of an improvement he’d be on Forsyth I’m not sure... but he would certainly add some much needed competition for places. On a free it’s not a massive risk so I’d be happy to see him here - would be a similar move to the Byrne transfer on the other side.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Do we really need to be signing players that have had ACL problems?

While i'm no expert, I've heard that once you do an ACL, it heals back stronger and doesn't usually become a persistent issue.

Incidentally, Forsyth seems to be the exception to the rule there having done it 3 times which is fairly impressive 

39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting link this, think a few suggested him in the suggestions thread? I wouldn’t say LB is a priority at the moment, that remains a new first choice striker. But I do think it’s a position that it’s becoming increasingly obvious we need an improvement in, given we lost our best player there in Lowe. Forsyth is on the decline and injury prone, while Buchanan is unproven. It’s a bit of a risk going into the season with those as our only options. I’d make sure we get a striker first, but if we have any remaining resources after that, I’d put them towards a left back. Maybe might be able to make use of the 2 week domestic only window to make a last minute signing? Might be some players unwanted by Prem teams who we could pick up on cheap loans.

In terms of Obita himself... he’s played a fair few games at this level so he’s gotta be pretty decent. How much of an improvement he’d be on Forsyth I’m not sure... but he would certainly add some much needed competition for places. On a free it’s not a massive risk so I’d be happy to see him here - would be a similar move to the Byrne transfer on the other side.

Think we are ok in left back department despite letting Fozzys understudy who couldn’t cement his place as first choice left back leave ?

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Surprised you rate Forsyth as much as you do to be honest... you do realise he’s Scottish?

How long do you think before world beating Lowe becomes first choice with the blades ? Yes, the fact Fozzy has played for Scotland suggested he was Scottish ?

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How long do you think before world beating Lowe becomes first choice with the blades ? Yes, the fact Fozzy has played for Scotland suggested he was Scottish ?

Depends how long it takes him to settle in. He’ll have to win his place. Doesn’t change the fact that he was a good left back at this level, hence why he was snapped up by the division above.

Cocu clearly wants 1 defensive and 1 attacking full back

Defensive - Wisdom / Forsyth

Attacking - Byrne / Buchanan

Originally some fans thought Ebosele could be the back up/attacking option but Cocu has decided to go with a cheap & proven option in Byrne. This gives Ebosele time to improve and get closer to the first team with less pressure, maybe even a loan out.

Now Cocu could maybe think he could do the same with left back. Proven & cheap option in Obita and let Buchanan progress with less pressure or again maybe go out on loan like Lowe did.

Not sure why people are mentioning our need for a striker on here. The club & Cocu are clearly looking, potentially signing Obita wont have any effect on that so its irrelevant. I doubt Obita's wages would cause us to have to stop a hunt for a striker. Plus if Jozefzoon does go his wages will be back in the pot as well.

Archived