Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

9 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Please explain 

Virgin Atlantic were taking an age to refund our flights (120 days plus) so I did a chargeback through my NatWest credit card and got the money back within three weeks of the claim. Also, I don’t think flights only are covered by ABTA so if you use a credit card you have added cover if the company goes bust.

On 14/12/2020 at 23:00, sage said:

Dalyan is my favourite town. I know another poster loves Kalkan which looks nice. 

Yeah that's me, Kalkan is pretty much perfect @alexxxxx. Hoping we can still go in August. Amazing value, brilliant cheap trips, quality food and loads of restaurants and a few bars, picturesque scenery, really friendly locals, loads of great apartments, we pay about 80 quid a night for really gorgeous 2 bedroom apartment over 2 floors with a large shared pool for about 7 other apartments.

Only potential downside is if you like a beach there aren't loads around, but plenty of clubs on the edge of the sea which are good. The huge Pataras Beach is about 20 mins away though by taxi. Doesn't matter though when you can go on all day boat trips for about 15 quid including freshly cooked meal, stopping off at lots of places to jump in sea.

Kalkan is about 90 mins from the airport which is about 40 quid each way in taxi, but that keeps the masses away so a good thing.

I do like the look of Dalyan too @sage wanna go there sometime.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah that's me, Kalkan is pretty much perfect @alexxxxx. Hoping we can still go in August. Amazing value, brilliant cheap trips, quality food and loads of restaurants and a few bars, picturesque scenery, really friendly locals, loads of great apartments, we pay about 80 quid a night for really gorgeous 2 bedroom apartment over 2 floors with a large shared pool for about 7 other apartments.

Only potential downside is if you like a beach there aren't loads around, but plenty of clubs on the edge of the sea which are good. The huge Pataras Beach is about 20 mins away though by taxi. Doesn't matter though when you can go on all day boat trips for about 15 quid including freshly cooked meal, stopping off at lots of places to jump in sea.

Kalkan is about 90 mins from the airport which is about 40 quid each way in taxi, but that keeps the masses away so a good thing.

I do like the look of Dalyan too @sage wanna go there sometime.

Yeah I'd recommend it. Its gone slightly more commercial over the last few years but not enough to ruin.

You get a boat down the river, past the cliff side ruins to the beach.

If you get a riverside pension the boat will pick you up from your place on the way.

Loads of walks and boat trips, mud baths, thermal springs, ancient ruins you can walk to.

I've thought about doing a twin centre holiday Kalkan.

On 18/12/2020 at 00:24, ariotofmyown said:

When did you last go?

2014, or perhaps 2015 buddy.  Will definitely go back sometime as I didn’t say a proper goodbye. Just wanted to explore some other areas in the last couple of years. You’ve been twice haven’t you?  

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

2014, or perhaps 2015 buddy.  Will definitely go back sometime as I didn’t say a proper goodbye. Just wanted to explore some other areas in the last couple of years. You’ve been twice haven’t you?  

We went last 2 years, but fancied somewhere else this time. Never happened but booked again for next Summer. Did you find anywhere else comparable for quality and price?

We looked at plenty of places outside Turkey, but nothing ever looks as good, or is way more money.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We went last 2 years, but fancied somewhere else this time. Never happened but booked again for next Summer. Did you find anywhere else comparable for quality and price?

We looked at plenty of places outside Turkey, but nothing ever looks as good, or is way more money.

To be honest no; we just felt we should see a few more places.  I hope to semi-retire over the next year or two, and will go over again hopefully in 2022 or 23.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

To be honest no; we just felt we should see a few more places.  I hope to semi-retire over the next year or two, and will go over again hopefully in 2022 or 23.

First year we went we met a couple who were looking to buy in the apartments we were at. They did and we have been back to their place last year. The place they got cost just 90k and is a stunning place. Retiring over there could be an attractive option.

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Just very very very very optimistically booked flights for three of us to go to Crete in mid June. Flights only £165 each from Luton, including seats and cases! 

please let the world be more normal by then. 

You like Greece don’t you mate, hope it’s sorted by then

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You like Greece don’t you mate, hope it’s sorted by then

Mate. Just the whole vibe suits me. I don’t really enjoy being surrounded by high rise hotels and buildings when trying to relax. 
Really, my holidays are about who I’m with, and have had great Algarve and Costa holidays golfing and on stags. But for sheer variety, a week where i go covers all my daily moods. 

I'm spending an hour a day flicking through sky scanner, booking.com, Airbnb and trainline.

Not booking anything till I've had the jab but I've got a dozen potential holidays in my head depending on how long I have off, when I can go and how safe the destination is.

17 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Just very very very very optimistically booked flights for three of us to go to Crete in mid June. Flights only £165 each from Luton, including seats and cases! 

please let the world be more normal by then. 

Just looked too. Lost a May Crete holiday (well refunded) last year.

What sort of travel insurance are you looking at? It's tricky as there's not as many ATOL package deals around. So we'd have to do flights and villa as separate bookings.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just looked too. Lost a May Crete holiday (well refunded) last year.

What sort of travel insurance are you looking at? It's tricky as there's not as many ATOL package deals around. So we'd have to do flights and villa as separate bookings.

Only got the annual insurance i bought last September. I’m taking a risk, but if we cannot fly, will hope they let me book different date. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Only got the annual insurance i bought last September. I’m taking a risk, but if we cannot fly, will hope they let me book different date. 

every holiday I've booked have given me a full refund or allowed me to move if I have been unable to travel because of restrictions 

My holidays are usually set around cities with great record shops so I can add to the collection. My lad likes to tag along too. He especially loves London and has been badgering me to take him to New York. Highly doubt we can get back to any of this, this year but we remain hopeful. 

Trying to get some UK breaks booked, either camping or glamping, from May-August.

Then hope to get away somewhere abroad but probably not until October half term, as I have little confidence that foreign travel will anything like back to normal much sooner.

Had hoped too shoot off to Italy some where for two weeks, but looking highly unlikely. Think prices will be overpriced or restrictions will still  be in place throughout the year.Will consider options as they arise but I would be very wary of booking anything in advance.