Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

9 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

Now that’s commitment ?

i just looked up the words commitment and lunacy and they arent the same thing ?

I think my tale of woe is to continue this year with holidays. We had 5 cancelled last year , 3 which were UK holidays.

We were due to go away to a lodge for my 50th birthday at the end of next month and obviously thats cancelled ?

We currently have maldives for 1st May which is a rebooking from last year and thats starting to look decidely iffy, especially we we transit via dubai.

Brugge end of may for a long weekend is looking iffy, we might actually be able to go but can i be bothered with a PCR test for a long weekend? Probably cancel it as we are able to and get our money back.

Turkey beg of september i reckon is the one that looks certain right now, although if maldives gets cancelled but we can travel to say Greece, we will probably just end up in crete instead.

I've still got a Eurotunnel voucher from our cancelled trip last year.  That has to be activated by 31/5/21, and can be booked for any date within 12 months thereafter.  I'll definitely make a provisional booking (as it's easy and effectively free to subsequently alter the date), but I'm not even hopeful of actually using it between now and May 22!

But, on the bright side, that's a max of only £180 wasted due to Covid, as nothing else was pre-booked last year.  (We tend to now just head over on The Tunnel twice a year, and head for the sun!  No pre-booking required!

Also on the bright side, at least we managed my birthday week in Spain 54 weeks ago.  I appreciate many haven't been abroad for even longer than that, 2020 being as it was!

As and when, our first main trip will be camping "Somewhere over the Channel", be that France, Belgium, or Holland.  Failing that, we just pray we can at least get away camping in UK.  Managed a fortnight last September in Dorset, and in all honesty, it was really rather splendid, and we won't be at all disappointed if "all we can do" is something similar, somewhere similar (We were lucky with the weather though, last Sept!)

Our life (and holidays) may be simple these days, but at least we don't have the hassle of pre-booking, or the stress of trying to chase up refunds or transferring dates etc.

... And let's face it, if worse comes to the worst, being campers, we can always pitch up in the back garden!  ?

Best of luck, everyone!  ?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've still got a Eurotunnel voucher from our cancelled trip last year.  That has to be activated by 31/5/21, and can be booked for any date within 12 months thereafter.  I'll definitely make a provisional booking (as it's easy and effectively free to subsequently alter the date), but I'm not even hopeful of actually using it between now and May 22!

But, on the bright side, that's a max of only £180 wasted due to Covid, as nothing else was pre-booked last year.  (We tend to now just head over on The Tunnel twice a year, and head for the sun!  No pre-booking required!

Also on the bright side, at least we managed my birthday week in Spain 54 weeks ago.  I appreciate many haven't been abroad for even longer than that, 2020 being as it was!

As and when, our first main trip will be camping "Somewhere over the Channel", be that France, Belgium, or Holland.  Failing that, we just pray we can at least get away camping in UK.  Managed a fortnight last September in Dorset, and in all honesty, it was really rather splendid, and we won't be at all disappointed if "all we can do" is something similar, somewhere similar (We were lucky with the weather though, last Sept!)

Our life (and holidays) may be simple these days, but at least we don't have the hassle of pre-booking, or the stress of trying to chase up refunds or transferring dates etc.

... And let's face it, if worse comes to the worst, being campers, we can always pitch up in the back garden!  ?

Best of luck, everyone!  ?

I think a change of scenery is what matters.

So far from all our cancelled holidays i dont think we are out of pocket at all. 

Everytime i get a bit fed up about holidays i tell myself people are dying, or losing jobs...my hardship is nothing. If all i get is a holiday in a nice lodge somewhere in the UK, then that will do.

11 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I think a change of scenery is what matters.

So far from all our cancelled holidays i dont think we are out of pocket at all. 

Everytime i get a bit fed up about holidays i tell myself people are dying, or losing jobs...my hardship is nothing. If all i get is a holiday in a nice lodge somewhere in the UK, then that will do.

A lodge, yer say?

vMXx0l.gif

? ?

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

And here's me wishing we could have got away when the snow came last week!  Would be fantastic to replicate this, which we haven't managed to repeat since Feb '13...

ACtC-3dSCkwB57-AQCde6M6S8eCMOHQKEAwvQu-N

You need to lay off the stubbies mate,that would be my worse nightmare. Holidays for me are experiencing warmth, comfort luxury and opulence ,not waking up to a pair of frozen baalocks and frost bite?

2 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

You need to lay off the stubbies mate,that would be my worse nightmare. Holidays for me are experiencing warmth, comfort luxury and opulence ,not waking up to a pair of frozen baalocks and frost bite?

If you don't mind, I don't appreciate you discussing my genitals in public... particularly alongside the word "stubbies"!  ?

A few days in London in July meeting up with our best friends from the US.

My mate is an insane fan of The Damned, his band even supported them in Orlando on their last tour. 

I love The Damned too so we have tickets for the Hammersmith gig on the 10th July with the original line up playing for the first time in 40 years. 

I doubt it'll happen but hoping it will. 

43 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

A few days in London in July meeting up with our best friends from the US.

My mate is an insane fan of The Damned, his band even supported them in Orlando on their last tour. 

I love The Damned too so we have tickets for the Hammersmith gig on the 10th July with the original line up playing for the first time in 40 years. 

I doubt it'll happen but hoping it will. 

Didn't realise they were still going - still remember watching them on an episode of The Young Ones with Dave Vanian, Captain Sensible, Rat Scabies et al.

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Didn't realise they were still going - still remember watching them on an episode of The Young Ones with Dave Vanian, Captain Sensible, Rat Scabies et al.

They've never stopped touring, just with different line ups. The Captain and Dave Vanian have been in most of the time (well Vanian all of the time) but Brian Jones left after the second album and then Captain and Rat fell out over money.

But a lucrative reunion beckoned so differences were put to one side.

Quite remarkably, Vanian's voice is as good as ever.

C8328F37-2DEC-4A49-A8BF-E078367314E1.thumb.jpeg.8f4f7f47a5a1660345b29eda324c725f.jpegAfter a humbling day traveling through last years bushfire area, we are camping on a cliff face that is literally the edge of Australia in Merimbula NSW. Out there somewhere is New Zealand. Words can’t describe how huge this fire was and we have another day traveling through the area tommorow.

The reason we came down here is this area has been asking for people to bring a empty esky with them and buy local produce to help the towns survive, so we thought we come here and splash some cash.

2 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

C8328F37-2DEC-4A49-A8BF-E078367314E1.thumb.jpeg.8f4f7f47a5a1660345b29eda324c725f.jpegAfter a humbling day traveling through last years bushfire area, we are camping on a cliff face that is literally the edge of Australia in Merimbula NSW. Out there somewhere is New Zealand. Words can’t describe how huge this fire was and we have another day traveling through the area tommorow.

The reason we came down here is this area has been asking for people to bring a empty esky with them and buy local produce to help the towns survive, so we thought we come here and splash some cash.

Great idea. What's an Esky?

Last week booked a couple of long camping weekends and a Glamping week for the UK summer.

We hope to get a week or two in the sun in October half term & then have a big one next year - maybe Mexico or Maldives.

The question will be the coronavirus sitaution in the destination countries of course, even if the UK is sorted.