Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

On 09/09/2020 at 23:55, ariotofmyown said:

Went to Kalkan for the last 2 Summers but thought we'd try somewhere else this year. Just booked again for next Summer, a year without going is more than enough. If anyone is heading that way, Turkish Airlines now do direct flights from Gatwick to Dalaman at good times too. They were also flying from Stanstead, but with a partner airline. Will hopefully watch us play our first match in the Prem on TV there.

We were supposed to be going to Jordan and Israel this Summer. Managed to move the flights for free to next Easter so fingers crossed for that. Probably works out better at Easter as won't be so hot, and can fly to Aqaba in Jordan at Easter.

I've always wanted to go to Petra but imagined it would cost huge amounts of money. You could probably do it for a long weekend now and for a similar price as it you were going to visit a Western European city. Just hope Easyjet keep flying there.

Anyone got any good tips for Jordan, especially for getting transport to Petra/Wadi Rum/Elat border? Or for car hire in Israel at the border.

I've been to Israel once before and loved it. Going to Dead Sea, Massada, Jerusalem and Tiberias, before staying with friends for a few days. Great place to visit if you wanna go somewhere a bit different.

Good news about the Dalaman flights. I used Thomas Cook once. Nightmare.

I like Dalyan but have thought trying Kalkan as a twin centre holiday 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

Good news about the Dalaman flights. I used Thomas Cook once. Nightmare.

I like Dalyan but have thought trying Kalkan as a twin centre holiday 

Just had a look at Dalyan, looks really nice. Dalyan seems less built up than Kalkan, although that's not really an issue. Kalkan is really picturesque with the steep cliffs, loads of gorgeous restaurants and great trips to do. The small apartment block we stay in is incredible and costs about 80 quid a night 

I might look at Dalyan in future too and try and do both.

45 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just had a look at Dalyan, looks really nice. Dalyan seems less built up than Kalkan, although that's not really an issue. Kalkan is really picturesque with the steep cliffs, loads of gorgeous restaurants and great trips to do. The small apartment block we stay in is incredible and costs about 80 quid a night 

I might look at Dalyan in future too and try and do both.

I stop at Lindos Pension. The owner there is excellent. Loads of stuff to do.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

That sounds amazing. I think one year I want to do a trip around south west Turkey and visit Ephesus, Marmaris etc. Have you ever been to Pamukkale too, that looks incredible.

I've only been to Istanbul, Dalyan, Gocek and Olu Deniz.

Only lasted 20 hours at the latter. Hated it.

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The pics of Olu Deniz beach look good. Is it really commercial?

I thought Istanbul one of the best cities I've been too. So many amazing sights.

It was really commercial. Loads of bars playing Mambo Number 5 with waiters doing daft dances. It was 3 years ago. I left the hotel after a day and went back to Dalyan.

13 minutes ago, sage said:

It was really commercial. Loads of bars playing Mambo Number 5 with waiters doing daft dances. It was 3 years ago. I left the hotel after a day and went back to Dalyan.

Haha I see! Kalkan is nothing like that you'd be pleased to hear. It a classy town which is really reasonable priced. It 2 hours drive from airport too, so you don't end up with Mambo Number 5 dancers. It not a party town so not many 20 somethings, but nor is it a classic family place with loads of kids going crazy. I'm sure they are in Daylan too, but the day long boat trips are amazing. 

51 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

That sounds amazing. I think one year I want to do a trip around south west Turkey and visit Ephesus, Marmaris etc. Have you ever been to Pamukkale too, that looks incredible.

Went on a guided tour from Marmaris (inc Ephesus) in the 80s! It was a bit meh even then. We stayed at a hotel (can't remember the name) that had bits of an old Greek/Roman site in its swimming pool - that was cool. Ephesus was great and since then lots more has been dug. Stayed nr Bodrum about 7 yrs ago, that was good. There's vast quantities of 'lesser known' ruins that are mostly empty of tourists. We went to the Temple of Zeus and the Temple of Hectate, we were the only ones there! Bodrum was interesting and Bodrum Castle museum was great.

Zues.jpg

Pam2.jpg

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Went on a guided tour from Marmaris (inc Ephesus) in the 80s! It was a bit meh even then. We stayed at a hotel (can't remember the name) that had bits of an old Greek/Roman site in its swimming pool - that was cool. Ephesus was great and since then lots more has been dug. Stayed nr Bodrum about 7 yrs ago, that was good. There's vast quantities of 'lesser known' ruins that are mostly empty of tourists. We went to the Temple of Zeus and the Temple of Hectate, we were the only ones there! Bodrum was interesting and Bodrum Castle museum was great.

Zues.jpg

Pam2.jpg

There are old Roman ruins you can walk to from Dalyan and several tombs in the cliff overlooking the town.

On 09/09/2020 at 23:55, ariotofmyown said:

Went to Kalkan for the last 2 Summers but thought we'd try somewhere else this year. Just booked again for next Summer, a year without going is more than enough. If anyone is heading that way, Turkish Airlines now do direct flights from Gatwick to Dalaman at good times too. They were also flying from Stanstead, but with a partner airline. Will hopefully watch us play our first match in the Prem on TV there.

We were supposed to be going to Jordan and Israel this Summer. Managed to move the flights for free to next Easter so fingers crossed for that. Probably works out better at Easter as won't be so hot, and can fly to Aqaba in Jordan at Easter.

I've always wanted to go to Petra but imagined it would cost huge amounts of money. You could probably do it for a long weekend now and for a similar price as it you were going to visit a Western European city. Just hope Easyjet keep flying there.

Anyone got any good tips for Jordan, especially for getting transport to Petra/Wadi Rum/Elat border? Or for car hire in Israel at the border.

I've been to Israel once before and loved it. Going to Dead Sea, Massada, Jerusalem and Tiberias, before staying with friends for a few days. Great place to visit if you wanna go somewhere a bit different.

Got friends who go to Kalkan a lot. They love it and have just come back again. 

On 24/09/2020 at 11:26, ariotofmyown said:

Haha I see! Kalkan is nothing like that you'd be pleased to hear. It a classy town which is really reasonable priced. It 2 hours drive from airport too, so you don't end up with Mambo Number 5 dancers. It not a party town so not many 20 somethings, but nor is it a classic family place with loads of kids going crazy. I'm sure they are in Daylan too, but the day long boat trips are amazing. 

Is it easy to get to Patara beach?

5 hours ago, sage said:

Is it easy to get to Patara beach?

Yeah, it's about 20 mins in a taxi so maybe about 10-15 quid each way. Think there is a bus too.

We went one year at the end of a trip to some Lycian Ruins and Saklikent Gorge. The other year we went on a guided kayak trip down Patara river that ended up there.

Not actually been there for the day as those trips took us there. Was great, but we prefer the boats trips around the coast and islands. 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah, it's about 20 mins in a taxi so maybe about 10-15 quid each way. Think there is a bus too.

We went one year at the end of a trip to some Lycian Ruins and Saklikent Gorge. The other year we went on a guided kayak trip down Patara river that ended up there.

Not actually been there for the day as those trips took us there. Was great, but we prefer the boats trips around the coast and islands. 

I imagine there is a regular boat ferry run in high season. That kayaking trip sounds good. Right up my street (or river)

1 minute ago, sage said:

I imagine there is a regular boat ferry run in high season. That kayaking trip sounds good. Right up my street (or river)

I'm not sure there is actually, might be because the beach is protected because of the turtles. It's barely developed with few facilities and no one is allowed on at night. The Kayaking was excellent and fairly sedate which suited me. A nice stop where lovely lunch was cooked, some mud baths then rowing right into the estuary. Can't believe I still got to wait nearly a year to go again!

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm not sure there is actually, might be because the beach is protected because of the turtles. It's barely developed with few facilities and no one is allowed on at night. The Kayaking was excellent and fairly sedate which suited me. A nice stop where lovely lunch was cooked, some mud baths then rowing right into the estuary. Can't believe I still got to wait nearly a year to go again!

Cheers for the info.