Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

We were planning on Disney World in Florida this year with some friends, as we wanted to go before our lads got too old to appreciate it (they're in that 11-18 bracket where anything that isn't derivative hip-hop isn't cool), but seeing as the US is still a bigger poo-show than our country we're sticking to the UK.  Booked a newly built cottage in Westward Ho! in Devon for a week.  Looks a nice little beach town with plenty of open space for the dog, and a couple of arcades & crazy golf to keep the lad amused.  Counting down the days to August already...

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

We were planning on Disney World in Florida this year with some friends, as we wanted to go before our lads got too old to appreciate it (they're in that 11-18 bracket where anything that isn't derivative hip-hop isn't cool), but seeing as the US is still a bigger poo-show than our country we're sticking to the UK.  Booked a newly built cottage in Westward Ho! in Devon for a week.  Looks a nice little beach town with plenty of open space for the dog, and a couple of arcades & crazy golf to keep the lad amused.  Counting down the days to August already...

You are so wrong. Westward Ho! has a nice "massive" beach! My parents been going there for years and we've been about 5 times in last 10 years. It's a great place with loads of good restaurants. A guy from work went with his older teenage sons a couple of years back and they had a great time. The bar and restaurant at the end of the town, the Pierhouse, is a great place. Worth booking before well before you go if you want particular times and days.

I'm not much of a cyclist at all, but the Tarka trail is nearby is really good.

Lots of good beaches and places to visit nearby too.

We're supposed to be going May Day weekend, postponed from last year.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are so wrong. Westward Ho! has a nice "massive" beach! My parents been going there for years and we've been about 5 times in last 10 years. It's a great place with loads of good restaurants. A guy from work went with his older teenage sons a couple of years back and they had a great time. The bar and restaurant at the end of the town, the Pierhouse, is a great place. Worth booking before well before you go if you want particular times and days.

I'm not much of a cyclist at all, but the Tarka trail is nearby is really good.

Lots of good beaches and places to visit nearby too.

We're supposed to be going May Day weekend, postponed from last year.

This is music to my ears ??

Had a look at The Pierhouse as we’d like somewhere with an outside, so we can take the dog, will definitely book it early doors. 

My Mrs used to go to Ilfracombe as a kid, so we’ll go there for the day. And I quite fancy Lynton and the Valley of Rocks for a wander round. Plus I’ve never been to Landsend, which is a bit of a trek but do fancy it

46 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Had a look at The Pierhouse as we’d like somewhere with an outside, so we can take the dog, will definitely book it early doors. 

My Mrs used to go to Ilfracombe as a kid, so we’ll go there for the day. And I quite fancy Lynton and the Valley of Rocks for a wander round. Plus I’ve never been to Landsend, which is a bit of a trek but do fancy it

I can recommend a cracking walk around Lynmouth. Voted one of the best in the UK. Basically walk upstream from the front, then after Watersmeet, turn left zig zagging through the woods, left across the moors to the cliff top, then left again along the cliff back to Lynmouth.

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

You might be at the Pierhouse more than once. Great place for a drink as the sun goes down into the sea on a warm August evening.

There is a great Thai place in the town too. Pig on the Hill is about 5 mins drive too and had a couple of lovely meals there. 

Clovelly is very close to Westward Ho! and pretty unique.

Lynton/Lynmouth/Valley of the Rocks is amazing.

Lands End is a good trek from there and not particularly thrilling from what I remember.

37 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You might be at the Pierhouse more than once. Great place for a drink as the sun goes down into the sea on a warm August evening.

There is a great Thai place in the town too. Pig on the Hill is about 5 mins drive too and had a couple of lovely meals there. 

Clovelly is very close to Westward Ho! and pretty unique.

Lynton/Lynmouth/Valley of the Rocks is amazing.

Lands End is a good trek from there and not particularly thrilling from what I remember.

I’ve checked out the menus and it does look right up our street. 

Our gaff is at the top of the hill, so we should have some belting views of sunsets. It fact it’s not far from Pig on The Hill according to Google Maps.

I know Lands End doesn’t have a lot to do, but it’s on of things to tick off.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I’ve checked out the menus and it does look right up our street. 

Our gaff is at the top of the hill, so we should have some belting views of sunsets. It fact it’s not far from Pig on The Hill according to Google Maps.

I know Lands End doesn’t have a lot to do, but it’s on of things to tick off.

Portions are massive too. Really good value but food high quality too. Had some good times there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few eventful days outrunning COVID border closures we finally made it back to NSW. Biggest issue is we can’t get back into QLD for 14 days! Might as well see some of the remote parts of OZ. We are camping in the highest tourist park in Australia at Kosciusko national park. 

Our neighbors for the next few nights.

5ECCA0EE-B072-469C-BEE9-F1F8AE50E9B8.thumb.jpeg.ff2de2f7a478cf080cef36ae5e066292.jpegDE2CC09B-F455-4962-BE35-6D4AE25B2535.thumb.jpeg.7e8585ccb11f233f763c3f97882f3b8a.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

Well after a few eventful days outrunning COVID border closures we finally made it back to NSW. Biggest issue is we can’t get back into QLD for 14 days! Might as well see some of the remote parts of OZ. We are camping in the highest tourist park in Australia at Kosciusko national park. 

Our neighbors for the next few nights.

5ECCA0EE-B072-469C-BEE9-F1F8AE50E9B8.thumb.jpeg.ff2de2f7a478cf080cef36ae5e066292.jpegDE2CC09B-F455-4962-BE35-6D4AE25B2535.thumb.jpeg.7e8585ccb11f233f763c3f97882f3b8a.jpeg

Any killer creatures lurking about?

Reading this morning, although i take the media speculation as what it is, speculation, that UK 'stay vacations' could be open from April, but holidays abroad curtailed for a few months yet.

26 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Reading this morning, although i take the media speculation as what it is, speculation, that UK 'stay vacations' could be open from April, but holidays abroad curtailed for a few months yet.

I’ve checked out a few holiday cottages and they are all booked up for this year.

Lots of people are in a position of having foreign holidays planned (some from last year) and trying to decide whether to lose their deposit and cancel now or take the risk the travel company will cancel later for full refund.

30 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Something as populated as those pics by @Stagtime, but in The UK, will suit me just fine!  ?

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’ve checked out a few holiday cottages and they are all booked up for this year.

Lots of people are in a position of having foreign holidays planned (some from last year) and trying to decide whether to lose their deposit and cancel now or take the risk the travel company will cancel later for full refund.

I have been tentatively looking and seems a fair bit of availability still, looking at hoseasons and sykes cottages.

We have a foreign holiday booked for 1st May which i dont feel will happen, however it seems to make sense at this stage to wait for the roadmap to be issued.

I dont know but am guessing they will say no foreign holidays until at least (say 1st July) then i would expect to receive a full refund on my 1st May holiday and book something in the UK.

I wouldnt be making any decisions until after the 22nd at this point, in my opinion.

I have another one booked for beginning of September which i am much more optimistic about. But if that doesnt happen so be it, a couple of weeks in the UK would be nice.

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Something as populated as those pics by @Stagtime, but in The UK, will suit me just fine!  ?

I know what you mean, nothing to do, wild animals roaming around....

enjoy your week in Cleethorpes ?

42 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

We are operate seaside attractions and the message from the Government in relation to being open for Easter is very much plan for the best but prepare for the worst.

Edited by G STAR RAM

29 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

It’s easier to think every animal will try to take you out. Don’t for a moment think that those little furry things aren’t ready to get you! Even worse they’ve been eyeing off my hot cross buns, assholes.

I’m impressed you’ve managed to mention little furry things, hot buns, and assholes in the same post, and yet remain inoffensive to all genders. 

Well done, that man. ?

On 04/02/2021 at 17:18, ramsbottom said:

Plus I’ve never been to Landsend, which is a bit of a trek but do fancy it

Not to put you off, but in summer you are looking at well over 3hrs to Landsend, I remember it only for being pretty unremarkable. There are nicer places nearer on the north coast. The coast road drive is very pretty.