Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

No. We were planning to go with them this year but we could not get together on dates. Might try and squeeze it in next year. 

It's pretty much perfect if you like beautiful weather, picturesque views, chilled out vibes, warm sea, fantastic food, great local drinks, incredible turkish baths, friendly locals, great service and brilliant trips.  Nearly all at reasonable/cheap prices.

Main problem we've found is that hard to find anywhere else to go that ticks all the boxes.

On 09/09/2020 at 23:55, ariotofmyown said:

Went to Kalkan for the last 2 Summers but thought we'd try somewhere else this year. Just booked again for next Summer, a year without going is more than enough. If anyone is heading that way, Turkish Airlines now do direct flights from Gatwick to Dalaman at good times too. They were also flying from Stanstead, but with a partner airline. Will hopefully watch us play our first match in the Prem on TV there.

We were supposed to be going to Jordan and Israel this Summer. Managed to move the flights for free to next Easter so fingers crossed for that. Probably works out better at Easter as won't be so hot, and can fly to Aqaba in Jordan at Easter.

I've always wanted to go to Petra but imagined it would cost huge amounts of money. You could probably do it for a long weekend now and for a similar price as it you were going to visit a Western European city. Just hope Easyjet keep flying there.

Anyone got any good tips for Jordan, especially for getting transport to Petra/Wadi Rum/Elat border? Or for car hire in Israel at the border.

I've been to Israel once before and loved it. Going to Dead Sea, Massada, Jerusalem and Tiberias, before staying with friends for a few days. Great place to visit if you wanna go somewhere a bit different.

Jerash near Amman is good but not worth the drive from the south if you're flying to aqaba rather than Amman. I quite liked Amman too. 

Petra was about £50 entry when I went a few years back(7/8 years?) so I assume it's more than that now. I think it was even more if you hadn't been in the country for so many hours prior to going in (in order to fleece cruise passengers and day trippers). 

Didn't actually think you got much for the money in terms of guide to the site and the signage/info boards were quite basic so maybe make sure you've got some guidebook or something to make the experience a bit better. 

• 2 months later...
Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Anyone made plans yet?

Thinking about it (especially as we've gone from going away at least twice a year to not getting away for three years by next summer for various reasons) but certainly won't be booking anything for quite a while. 

Probably be four or five weeks in total - likely to be France and/or Italy. 

Cambodia and Vietnam are on my bucket list but my wife doesn't fancy either so, may have to go on my own before I get too old ?

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Thinking about it (especially as we've gone from going away at least twice a year to not getting away for three years by next summer for various reasons) but certainly won't be booking anything for quite a while. 

Probably be four or five weeks in total - likely to be France and/or Italy. 

Cambodia and Vietnam are on my bucket list but my wife doesn't fancy either so, may have to go on my own before I get too old ?

Cambodia and Vietnam are well worth a visit.

Anyone got any turkey recommendations which aren't huge resorts? Preferably towns/villages where you can get your own house with pool, few bars nearby etc? 

Went to Northern Cyprus a few years back which I really liked although I was sad to see some of the nicer more remote beaches were full of washed up plastic.

5 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Was considering going to Florida at the back end of next year. Any tips on the best way to book? Packages look the better option but I'm not sure.

Might be stating the obvious, apologies, but depends on your budget and what you have in mind.

We’ve been ten times and always book a private villa, flights (usually Virgin) and car hire (usually Alamo) separately (not fly drive).

One thing this has taught me is always pay by credit card (which I do).

I assume you’re aware of the hurricane season which is best avoided. My favourite time is May or June.

39 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Please explain 

Better protection if things go tits up.

Now the companies can't levy stupid charges against credit cards, it's a no brainer to use them. Although that could change again come January 1st.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Anyone got any turkey recommendations which aren't huge resorts? Preferably towns/villages where you can get your own house with pool, few bars nearby etc? 

Went to Northern Cyprus a few years back which I really liked although I was sad to see some of the nicer more remote beaches were full of washed up plastic.

Dalyan is my favourite town. I know another poster loves Kalkan which looks nice.