v Barrow (H) Match Thread

Day

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ducking what."

Heck, I'm having Stephen Fry quoted at me now.

I have accepted that my reaction was over the top. I will also add that "offended" was the wrong word for me to use.

All I was trying to say was that, even having experienced better periods in the club's history, most of us old uns still look forward to each new season.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say from reading this Forum over many years, that grumpiness about our prospects bears little relation to age.

Some of the happiest of clappers turn out to be lifetime optimists and god, there are some miserable yoofs out there! 

Whatever your age, try and maintain that fire that your first season as a football fan ignited within you.

Do you know, I have the feeling this is going to be our year. 

I’m struggling to get my head around people expecting us to lose just because we have a number of players out. Our ‘2nd XI’ are all above L2 standard so we should be expecting a win. If the 11 on the field today aren’t even L2 standard then we’re in for a very long season - I just don’t see that myself. That doesn’t mean we only have to turn up to win... we still need to put in the effort, because you can bet all your money on Barrow putting everything they’ve got in to causing an upset. 

Derby to win 2-0.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’m struggling to get my head around people expecting us to lose just because we have a number of players out. Our ‘2nd XI’ are all above L2 standard so we should be expecting a win. If the 11 on the field today aren’t even L2 standard then we’re in for a very long season - I just don’t see that myself. That doesn’t mean we only have to turn up to win... we still need to put in the effort, because you can bet all your money on Barrow putting everything they’ve got in to causing an upset. 

Derby to win 2-0.

Its not so much our team, more the fact I would imagine most of the Barrow team are going to be having the biggest day of their lives. 

On Sky, against a much bigger team. Presume this is a massive career/life changing opportunity for some. Derby are potentially going to br fielding a rag tag of fringe /squad players, academy players, players returning from injury and last chance salooners who have barely played together. Definitely a possible banana skin. 

If your not an 'eternal' optimist, how can you truely at heart be ?

a. A rams fan.

Either you must be a masochist who enjoy's being mentally tortured each week by 11 men kick a football around a grass pitch or your told you need to get out from under the missus/mister's feet every now and again and can think of no where else to go.. 

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Heck, I'm having Stephen Fry quoted at me now.

I have accepted that my reaction was over the top. I will also add that "offended" was the wrong word for me to use.

All I was trying to say was that, even having experienced better periods in the club's history, most of us old uns still look forward to each new season.

Hahaha one of my favourite quotes

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If the 11 on the field today aren’t even L2 standard then we’re in for a very long season - I just don’t see that myself.

Don’t say that ?

I agree with all of your post except this bit as anything can happen in cup games, Cocu may also look to give more U23s their first taste of competitive football in a team that we’re unlikely to see play together again.

Firmly believe we have more than enough, but this is football, wouldn’t want to write the season off if we was to slip on the banana skin today 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Don’t say that ?

I agree with all of your post except this bit as anything can happen in cup games, Cocu may also look to give more U23s their first taste of competitive football in a team that we’re unlikely to see play together again.

Firmly believe we have more than enough, but this is football, wouldn’t want to write the season off if we was to slip on the banana skin today 

Hope you have fed the hamsters, the servers will be taking a right bashing today if we do slip up.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Hope you have fed the hamsters, the servers will be taking a right bashing today if we do slip up.

If we lose I’m taking an internet holiday for a week, server goes down it goes down, you’ll have to wait for it to fix itself ?

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

I assumed we'd play a strong side today as a preparation for the league next week. Is this not the case?

Dunno we havent kicked off yet.

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I assumed we'd play a strong side today as a preparation for the league next week. Is this not the case?

You need to @ him mate.

I'll do it for you - @cocu who's playing today? Strong side or another Forest debacle like this time last year?

Archived