v Barrow (H) Match Thread

David

We’re back!

Saturday 5th September, 12pm Kick Off, Live on the telebox 

Expecting a wheelie physical game, their manager telling his players not to let us push them about.

Need to handle the game professionally, not leave the workload to Rooney. 

How do you see this one going?

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won’t be an easy game this, with us being somewhat forced into playing a slightly weaker team since the game is taking place during the international break. That said, we should still be making sure we progress here. I’d lineup something like:

Roos

Wisdom Te Weirik Clarke Lowe

Bird Evans

Waghorn Rooney Jozefzoon 

Marriott

Hopefully might be one or two more additions before this game mind.

Will be very much a pre-season type game.

The school of thought will be that it is a game any side we put out should win, but also that it is nowhere near as important as the Reading game.

No harm in Marshall playing, and can see te Wierek and Clarke playing to build that partnership.  

Full back positions will probably be used for players to stake a claim for starting at Reading.

Rooney won't play. Bird (and Sibley) should probably best be rested as they have a long season ahead, which puts Evans? and Shinnie holding. Lawrence will probably be saved and Whittaker given a start for experience so that leaves Knight and maybe Holmes building up fitness. Probably Marriott up top again.

5 minutes ago, Rample said:

Will be very much a pre-season type game.

The school of thought will be that it is a game any side we put out should win, but also that it is nowhere near as important as the Reading game.

No harm in Marshall playing, can see te Wierek and Clarke playing to build that partnership.  

Full back positions will probably be used for players to stake a claim for starting at Reading.

Rooney won't play. Bird (and Sibley) should probably best be rested as they have a long season ahead, which puts Evans? and Shinnie holding. Lawrence will probably be saved and Whittaker given a start for experience so that leaves Knight and maybe Holmes building up fitness. Probably Marriott up top again.

Will he not be on international duty?

Cocu showed what he thinks of this competition in the two games last season.

A strong team will play Sheff Utd on tuesday and a reserve team will play this game.

Something like this perhaps:

Roos

Ebosele Wisdom Davies Buchanan

Shinnie Evans

Whittaker Holmes Shonibare

Hector-Ingram

Possibly games for those returning from injury if ready

Roos 

Bogle  MTW  Clarke  Lowe

Bird  Rooney

Whittaker  Sibley   Knight

Marriott

I think we will play a strong-ish side as we will still be trying to get match sharpness for the league. Considering those who have missed preseason so far I think this will be the team.

Barrow load of goals expected so 2-1 to the Rams. It was only a workout to bring us up to full fitness etc etc. A chant of Sutton Hoo, we are the Rams or Who is that Sutton Hoo over there. Barrow load of laughs for archaeologists. Dig it.

I think we will see a strong lineup for this, whereas typically it's been midweek and we have rotated bodies. Obviously, we will be without those on international duty, but it doesn't harm us too much. 

It will be interesting if Lawrence and Waghorn are going to be fit to play. I mean, we're down to Jozefzoon and Whittaker as players who could possibly play outwide. I'm sure we will sign someone eventually.. ... ..   I hope. 

I'm going to say a comfortable 2-0 win with lots of passes around the back six. 

Roos

Ebosele   Te Wierik  Clarke   Buchanan   

Evans        Shinnie 

Whittaker           Sibley             Knight 

Marriott 

Subs- Ravas, Davies, Wisdom, J.Brown, Ibrahim, Waghorn, JHI

- Chance for fringe/young players to stake a claim without going to weak.

- Build Te Wierik and Clarke partnership.

Marshall and Knight away on international duty - I don’t think we have any others. 
Too soon to include Lawrence, Holmes and Waghorn, even if they are training.  Bogle and Sibley seem to have little niggles so may miss out on the starting lineup. 
Rooney will be busy preparing for Soccer Aid.

Ravas
Wisdom   te Wierik   Clarke   Buchanan
Bird   Shinnie
Whittaker   Ibrahim   Shonibare
Trialist

Subs: Roos, Bogle, Davies, Forsyth, Lowe, JBrown, Sibley, Jozefzoon, Marriott

Archived