Steve Nicholsons challenge

bucktwo

Marshall

Wisdom         Te Wierk           Clarke

Bogle                 Bird     Rooney        Fozzy

Sibley       Lawrence

Waghorn

don't think this formation suits us, we will lack penetration down the flanks, need more pace and everything will go through the centre and be predictable.......different formation needed and a new winger and forward 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Srg said:

Nah, he deserves it. He vehemently argues that it isn't clickbait, and at that point you lose all respect for yourself and your profession. When you're desperately dragging up players that were extremely tenuously linked with us once 18 months ago and still post stories about them to act as if we are still interested, or use phrases like "this Rams player..." in titles it's just straight up poo.

Steve Nicholson has, I suspect, absolutely no control over the team that repeat and/or repackage his original posts. I’d be surprised if he’s ecstatic about it but it’s the way regional newspapers operate these days. He’s a sound and sincere journalist and should be given a bit more respect. He rarely gets involved in speculation - that’s what Twitter is for. He used to appear once a month on Radio Derby and I would welcome the return of that

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I really don't get the obsession with a back 3 amongst certain posters on here.  I don't understand how anyone can look at last season and think what we needed was to take an attacking player off and put on an extra centre half.  Yeah yeah, I know it's not that simple, and the wing-backs will get forward more etc, but Bogle's looked pretty lost when he's played further forward, so I'm not convinced he'll just slot into a wingback role.  He's far more effective when he has a winger to overlap IMO too.

You just don't get it, do you? Reverting to a back three will remedy our defensive deficiencies and is the obvious switch to make. After we have done that and it doesn't work, then you should clamour for a flat back four again as a back three doesn't work with Englsih defenders. Rinse and repeat three times per season at least. 

1 hour ago, bucktwo said:

on this weeks facebook live Nico asked for the team set up with 3 at the back...

here is my starter with no additional ins and outs

Marshall

Wisdom Te Wierik Clarke

Bogle Bird Rooney Shinnie

Sibley

Waghorn Marriott 

Subs:

Bielik Lawrence Knight Lowe Holmes Roos Evans 

I'd swap out Shinnie for Lowe in that formation. Once Bielik is fully fit again there's just no way he isn't starting. He's very good on the ball and passing. But also offers us tough tackling and physicality that no one else does. Bielik and Bird as we progress through the season. 

5 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Steve Nicholson has, I suspect, absolutely no control over the team that repeat and/or repackage his original posts. I’d be surprised if he’s ecstatic about it but it’s the way regional newspapers operate these days. He’s a sound and sincere journalist and should be given a bit more respect. He rarely gets involved in speculation - that’s what Twitter is for. He used to appear once a month on Radio Derby and I would welcome the return of that

So you think he's right to vociferously defend, and flat out deny, the clickbait?

Marshall    

Dutch Clarke Forsyth 

bogle.       Bird        Lowe 

Sibley Rooney    

Waghorn Lawrence 

wisdom can step in as a centre half anywhere and Buchanan would alternate with lowe and knight and Shinnie would step in for sibley and Rooney whilst Lawrence has to play where he can shoot because he seldom crosses from the wing whilst Marriott can step in for either of the front two.

i actually like the look of that team although obviously it seems to lack width but it carries a threat

1 hour ago, Srg said:

So you think he's right to vociferously defend, and flat out deny, the clickbait?

I imagine he could speak out about it if he is prepared to be sidelined or lose his job. Anyway, what would be the point of speaking out?- nothing is going to change in the regional sports press.

2 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

I imagine he could speak out about it if he is prepared to be sidelined or lose his job. Anyway, what would be the point of speaking out?- nothing is going to change in the regional sports press.

Then don’t defend it either? He’s not forced to respond. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Agreed - My mate is constantly wanging on about this - Essentially he loves Wisdom and doesn't want to see him lose his place at CB so has decided 3 at the back is the future

1) We don't have enough CBs - Now Clarke is in we have 3 recognised CBs - One of them is 36 (?) so will probably be more of a bit-part player - We then have a converted RB and a DM who can play there - Plus another DM coming back from injury - And if desperate we can play Fozzy there again (who has been mostly a liability at CB)

2) We don't have enough strikers for 2 up front - I've heard arguments that we have Man Utd and England's all time lead goalscorer in the squad - But somehow I don't think Cocu or Rooney himself see him playing there - So (for me) we have 2 senior strikers

Finally - On the basis that Cocuball seems to involve fluidity of movement/position at it's core - And when we're attacking a DM drops back in line with the CBs to allow our fullbacks to get forward - We essentially attack as a 3-5-2 (or maybe 3-3-4) anyway - Fluidity in attack but group pressing and organisation in defence seem to be the hallmarks of the way Cocu wants to play (which I like) which means the defensive formation is the one we should build our base on - The attacking formation is kinda just "3 at the back and everyone else just plays wherever makes sense at the time"

I think it was on the basis of lacking wide players and how our full backs are good getting forward. 

Also allows for the deep sitting midfield players to get forward more. 

You can play a striker with a number 10 for the front two. Sibley, Lawrence, covering that position with Waghorn/  Marriott and hopefully someone new.

No more of a broken system to 4-3-3 when we do not have any decent wide player. 

If it worked for bald eagle it works for me. 

I fancy Bielik in the centre of a back 3, mostly for when we have the ball at the back.

He could step forward then in front of the other 2 centre backs to receive the ball from them and move it on. The wing backs would be higher than fullbacks, and Rooney and Bird would also be higher.

Last season we would often have the back 4 deep when in position, with both Rooney and Bird also in our own half.

With Bielik as a deep midfielder in possession, Rooney and Bird could be in the opponents half, adding an extra man to last season.

Our possession football would be much more dangerous if it was 30 yards up field.

3 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Marshall

Wisdom   Te Wierik   Clark

Bogle                      Bird                      Lowe

Sibley       Lawrence           

Marriott     Waghorn

No Rooney? No Holmes? No Knight? No Bielik? We've got a decent squad with the emergence of these youngsters. Just not balanced.

Need natural width, and a big centre forward with  neat touch who's good back to goal to bring the runners into play. On a free ideally. Proven goalscorer at this level who knows the system. Damned if I can think of anyone who'd fit...

Wouldnt the wing backs offer the natural width if playing with a back 5?

Its really possible to put together a decent formation with decent players, without Martin, if you give it a go.

4 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

I really don't get the obsession with a back 3 amongst certain posters on here.  I don't understand how anyone can look at last season and think what we needed was to take an attacking player off and put on an extra centre half.  Yeah yeah, I know it's not that simple, and the wing-backs will get forward more etc, but Bogle's looked pretty lost when he's played further forward, so I'm not convinced he'll just slot into a wingback role.  He's far more effective when he has a winger to overlap IMO too.

Indeed, I can't think of any more defensive formation

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/06/every-Derby-county-goal-francesco-baiano

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's a good football journo. Times change and he's trying to do his job the best he can. If you want to pick on journo's at least make an effort and choose that twit from the Daily Fail!

Sorry Steve. Is there anything you can do about the adverts though ???

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Then don’t defend it either? He’s not forced to respond. 

I'm not sure what I am defending other than that Steve Nicholson is a sound journalist who is not responsible for all the clickbail activity that all the regional newspapers seem to get involved in. He might defend it in public (although I have seen no evidence of that) but I suspect in private he thinks different. Anyway, you have your opinion, I have mine and, as far as I am concerned, Steve Nicholson is not deserving of the abuse he gets on this website.

Marshall    

Te Wierik    Bielik*     Clarke    

Bogle                Bird                        Lowe

Rooney               Sibley 

Marriott           Lawrence 

*Wisdom in with Te Wierik as the sweeper until Bielik is fit.

11 hours ago, Srg said:

I thought this was going to be some kind of task he was undertaking. Like he was being challenged to do some actual journalism and not lazy clickbait poo covered in adverts.

Me too. Thought it was gonna say how difficult it must be for him to remain relevant with the DET being such a sh1trag these days, and every piece of DCFC news being released via Twitter & Instagram. Did used to have a lot of respect for him, but now with his clickbaiting headlines it’s gone right out the window. Also seems like Ryan Conway has surpassed him as number one press go to... 

Archived