Steve Nicholsons challenge

bucktwo

on this weeks facebook live Nico asked for the team set up with 3 at the back...

here is my starter with no additional ins and outs

Marshall

Wisdom Te Wierik Clarke

Bogle Bird Rooney Shinnie

Sibley

Waghorn Marriott 

Subs:

Bielik Lawrence Knight Lowe Holmes Roos Evans 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall

Wisdom Dutch Mike Clarke

Shinnie/Bielik

Bogle     Rooney         Bird      Lowe

Sibley/Marriott

Waghorn

Think we'd need the extra Midfielder of 352 or 3511 to make it work rather than 343

But I don't think we'll do it unless we're "improvising" in a match to achieve something specific.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

I thought this was going to be some kind of task he was undertaking. Like he was being challenged to do some actual journalism and not lazy clickbait poo covered in adverts.

He's a good football journo. Times change and he's trying to do his job the best he can. If you want to pick on journo's at least make an effort and choose that twit from the Daily Fail!

12 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

on this weeks facebook live Nico asked for the team set up with 3 at the back...

here is my starter with no additional ins and outs

Marshall

Wisdom Te Wierik Clarke

Bogle Bird Rooney Shinnie

Sibley

Waghorn Marriott 

Subs:

Bielik Lawrence Knight Lowe Holmes Roos Evans 

I'm not sure Rooney would suit being in a 4 like that, you'd more likely see him further forward in Sibley's position to find space for him

I'd expect a partnership of Bird+Knight, Bird+Holmes or maybe Bird+Shinnie but that might like going forward.

And Lowe would be LWB, lets not be silly now.

I really don't get the obsession with a back 3 amongst certain posters on here.  I don't understand how anyone can look at last season and think what we needed was to take an attacking player off and put on an extra centre half.  Yeah yeah, I know it's not that simple, and the wing-backs will get forward more etc, but Bogle's looked pretty lost when he's played further forward, so I'm not convinced he'll just slot into a wingback role.  He's far more effective when he has a winger to overlap IMO too.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's a good football journo. Times change and he's trying to do his job the best he can. If you want to pick on journo's at least make an effort and choose that twit from the Daily Fail!

Nah, he deserves it. He vehemently argues that it isn't clickbait, and at that point you lose all respect for yourself and your profession. When you're desperately dragging up players that were extremely tenuously linked with us once 18 months ago and still post stories about them to act as if we are still interested, or use phrases like "this Rams player..." in titles it's just straight up poo.

Marshall

Twerk   Blerk   Clerk

Bogle        Rooney        Lowe

Knight   Sibley   Bird   Lawrence

Marriott   Waghorn

How many's that? 

Nah, it can't be done. We have too many players.

Marshall

Wisdom   Te Wierik   Clark

Bogle                      Bird                      Lowe

Sibley       Lawrence           

Marriott     Waghorn

No Rooney? No Holmes? No Knight? No Bielik? We've got a decent squad with the emergence of these youngsters. Just not balanced.

Need natural width, and a big centre forward with  neat touch who's good back to goal to bring the runners into play. On a free ideally. Proven goalscorer at this level who knows the system. Damned if I can think of anyone who'd fit...

5 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Marshall

Bogle       Wisdom   Te Wierik   Clark   Lowe

Bird                

Sibley       Lawrence           

Marriott     Waghorn

What will actually happen if we tried that lineup...

Wisdom, te Wierik and Clarke are our best 3 CBs, but don't offer the right balance. Clarke should be the central CB, meaning Fozzy or Buchanan have to be the left sided CB. Rooney wouldn't suit a 4 man 'midfield' so you need an extra CM in there to balance things out, resulting in 352 as the only possibility. That leaves 1 CM and two CF positions to fill with Shinnie, Holmes, Knight, Sibley, Lawrence, Waghorn and Marriott to choose from. Sibley doesn't offer the balance required in midfield so becomes one of the CFs. Overall, 3 at the back doesn't allow us to field our best players.

Marshall
te Wierik   Clarke   Fozzy
Bogle   Holmes   Bird   Rooney   Lowe
Sibley   Marriott

Bobbins but I'm bored so...

Marshall

Wisdom Davies Clarke

Bogle               Bird                 Forsyth

Rooney Sibley  Lawrence

Marriott

Hamer (only kidding)

Marshall

^       TeWierik    Bielik    Clarke   ^

^                            v                      ^

Bogle                     v    Bird          Lowe

Sibley    Rooney  Lawrence

Marriott

So Bielik can come forward into midfield and the wingbacks drop back if you wanted to revert to a back four.

Don't like leaving Wisdom out but he can step in if Dutch Mike, Bielik or Bogle are out. Similarly Waggy/Holmes/Knight/Trialist/Whittaker in for any of the front four.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I really don't get the obsession with a back 3 amongst certain posters on here.  I don't understand how anyone can look at last season and think what we needed was to take an attacking player off and put on an extra centre half.  Yeah yeah, I know it's not that simple, and the wing-backs will get forward more etc, but Bogle's looked pretty lost when he's played further forward, so I'm not convinced he'll just slot into a wingback role.  He's far more effective when he has a winger to overlap IMO too.

Agreed - My mate is constantly wanging on about this - Essentially he loves Wisdom and doesn't want to see him lose his place at CB so has decided 3 at the back is the future

1) We don't have enough CBs - Now Clarke is in we have 3 recognised CBs - One of them is 36 (?) so will probably be more of a bit-part player - We then have a converted RB and a DM who can play there - Plus another DM coming back from injury - And if desperate we can play Fozzy there again (who has been mostly a liability at CB)

2) We don't have enough strikers for 2 up front - I've heard arguments that we have Man Utd and England's all time lead goalscorer in the squad - But somehow I don't think Cocu or Rooney himself see him playing there - So (for me) we have 2 senior strikers

Finally - On the basis that Cocuball seems to involve fluidity of movement/position at it's core - And when we're attacking a DM drops back in line with the CBs to allow our fullbacks to get forward - We essentially attack as a 3-5-2 (or maybe 3-3-4) anyway - Fluidity in attack but group pressing and organisation in defence seem to be the hallmarks of the way Cocu wants to play (which I like) which means the defensive formation is the one we should build our base on - The attacking formation is kinda just "3 at the back and everyone else just plays wherever makes sense at the time"

Archived