Computer / Video game that lived up to the hype (for you)

JG400

18 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

We went to the National Video Game Museum in Sheffield just before Lockdown - well worth a visit. Seeing an Amiga 1200 on display in a cabinet on top of it's original box took me right back to 'that' Christmas morning and made me want to go and hug my mum for the best Christmas present I ever had.

We went to that in Nottingham before it moved to Sheffield - was a good day out if you're a gamer of a certain age!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many over the years and of course our expectations have changes with the leaps and bounds of technology and our own maturing. Funnily enough hype has changed as well. Early days it was previews in mags. No internet then. Almost every game was something ground breaking and spectacular.

Then came PCs and internet, games were hyped really aggressively and were often a disappointment. Maybe its an age thing but the hype seems a lot less these days, I dont do Twitter of Facebook so maybe miss seeing it but Steam supplies most of my games news.

For record memorable games to me over time:

ZX81 Chess

Spectrum: Jetpac, Donkey Kong, Brick shooters

Dragon: ?Space flight simulator, ?F1 manager.

Atari ST: Anything by Micropose

PCs: Elite, F16, X-wing series, Quake, Doom, Mafia, C&C

Latest: MSFS 2020

Steam says I have 238 games--GULP need to get out more! 

10 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

We went to the National Video Game Museum in Sheffield just before Lockdown - well worth a visit. Seeing an Amiga 1200 on display in a cabinet on top of it's original box took me right back to 'that' Christmas morning and made me want to go and hug my mum for the best Christmas present I ever had.

I've just seen it reopened this past weekend. I was in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago and it looked a big gloomy on the outside. I might go this weekend now it's open again.

17 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I've just seen it reopened this past weekend. I was in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago and it looked a big gloomy on the outside. I might go this weekend now it's open again.

Sheffield is a bit gloomy though innit. It's good fun for a couple of hours. It's literally just a room full of geeks playing old games on old consoles. 

For me, I think the Christmas that I got the PS2 with GTA3 is probably up there with most hyped I've been for a game. Mass Effect 1, played the demo and the moment you see the Normandy dock was just beautiful. Booked the week off work on the release day only to find it had been delayed by a week - gutted. I'd also say I was pretty hyped about Bioshock, the intro was just amazing but never really got in to.

9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Manic Miner was groundbreaking on the ZX Spectrum as a platform game then games like Atic Atac in terms of their gameplaying size and then progressions like Sabre Wulf then 3D games such as Knight Lore were the next big thing.

Sabre Wulf was tremendous game. Never managed to complete it as a kid but have done on pc remake. Not sure if they were more generous with extra lives.

26 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Also the alert sound if going into a dangerous area!

And getting angry when lowering the rope to rescue people but missing them. 

Spent hours and hours on them. Never finished them did you?

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

And getting angry when lowering the rope to rescue people but missing them. 

Spent hours and hours on them. Never finished them did you?

I never got far at all. Yet I kept trying. Wonder if I would be any better now.

Archived