Computer / Video game that lived up to the hype (for you)

JG400

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

There was a great game called... it might have been into the darkness??? On the game cube. 

it was fantastic, and the best bit I’d that your character starts going slowly mad. And the game would do weird things to think you were also going mad, like it would just randomly start you from 3 rooms previous, or your characters head would explode for know reason and then you’d start from a few rooms back, or the screen would just fade to black, or you’d get an error message pop up. 

It was a great game in its own right, but i loved the way it broke the fourth wall like that. It was genuinely affective to give you the creeps. 

Edit: eternal darkness: sanity’s requiem, that was the one. 

That was a great game that my wife banned one of our sons from playing because she thought it was to weird

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Think I might have played Lemmings 1 on the Spectrum and it wasn't great. Lemmings 2 on the Amiga was awesome though.

I still have an Amiga. I think the only thing I have played on it in the last 20 years is Lemmings 2.

Sith Happens
21 hours ago, TimRam said:

Elite on the BBC Micro. An amazing game and raised the bar for 8-bit home micro programming. How they got that in 32k I will never know (less actually as the graphics grabbed some of the memory).

I think the same can be said about lots of those games in the 80's. Stuff like Daley Thompsons Decathlon,  which was basically track and field from the arcades, and so on. 

How they got them to work was amazing. 

One of my faves was 3d starfighter which was really the star wars arcade game. 

those programmers really earned their money 

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Loved Decathlon, almost a straight port.

Out Run and Gauntlet the same.

Decathlon wasnt kind on joysticks though.

• 3 weeks later...

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

What a masterpiece. If you like open world games, this is one of the best. If you like Zelda games, this is the best. It crams so much into the game, and yet still has so much more to offer. It's a massive map, yet you encounter so much. The storylines are great, the characters are well done and the mechanics just work. 

The Switch is worth buying for this game alone. And I think the Switch is great anyway, but this game is fantastic.

On 08/08/2020 at 17:31, ariotofmyown said:

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer. What a Christmas day that was!

Monkey Island 2. All those discs made it even more special.

GTA 3 hadn't played games much for a few years before getting this. Mindblowing.

On 09/08/2020 at 22:57, maxjam said:

Hmm, if we're talking about retro games from yesteryear I'll have to mention Sensible Soccer - a friend land Iost countless hours to that game which was surprisingly playable for its time ?

Yep the 12 discs of Monkey Island 2 is one of my all time favorites. I've recently downloaded both Monkey Islands on my laptop for my son to play and he loves it. All the GTA's have been amazing - even GTA1 was brilliant. And Sensible Soccer is still far superior to any of the fifas.

We went to the National Video Game Museum in Sheffield just before Lockdown - well worth a visit. Seeing an Amiga 1200 on display in a cabinet on top of it's original box took me right back to 'that' Christmas morning and made me want to go and hug my mum for the best Christmas present I ever had.

Archived