Who would you sell (and how much do you think we would get)

sage

24 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Or could just not sell one of the most productive players in the league in that position ?

We’ve got to raise the funds to improve other areas of the team somehow. I’d rather sell Lawrence than one of the young lads who will likely get even better and be worth even more in a year or two’s time. I’m also a bit fed up of Lawrence’s child like behaviour. He plays like he’s a 17 year old despite being 26. Far too many suspensions because he racks up stupid yellows through petulant behaviour. I’d rather have someone there with his quality but who is less of a liability.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selling Lawrence would be a big gamble in my opinion. He has his ups and downs and is certainly flawed as a player, but that tends to be the case with second tier players. I think his importance to the side was highlighted by his time out of the team due to his most recent suspension. 

The lack of money the clubs we could sell him to have, mean that we would really struggle to replace him and strengthen elsewhere. If we are going to sell with the hope we could replace the outgoing player and strengthen other areas then one of the young lads coming through would have to be the sacrificial player. They are the ones the Premier League clubs who still have large amounts of money will be interested in. Selling Lawrence would be a huge risk that would likely lead to us being unable to bring in an adequate replacement and improve another area of the squad leading to an overall weaker team. 

I think some people are going to be surprised by the market when it gets back to some kind of normal. We didn’t have that many valuable players to start with and we’re going to have less now except for the youngsters!

Revenues outside the Prem (and in the Prem to a smaller extent) are going to be heavily dented for the foreseeable future. Gone are the days of the likes of Waghorn and Lawrence being in the £5-7 million bracket.

Players are also in for a shock wageswise. We’ve already seen the start of it with Martin and Huddlestone!

The top players are still going to command silly wages and fees and the top clubs will still have the money for top wages and fees. But as you go down the leagues the changes will become more and more evident.

I think a fair few players are going to find themselves without clubs in the next few seasons if they don’t adjust their expectations, rhee same players who would have found a contract no problem pre-Covid.

The market may get back to where it was but it’ll take some time.

Carson - FREE 

Roos - 250k 

Bogle - £8m 

Forsyth - 500k

Malone - 500k

Lowe 750k

Bennett - 500k

Josefzoon - £1m

Buy: 

GK (Etheridge?) (Ravas to be backup)

LB (1st teamer) (Buchanan & Shinnie as backup)

CB (Clarke?)

RM/ARM (quality)

LM/ARM (backup for Lawrence)

Names aren't a problem, values much harder especially in the current environment. As no real way of guessing the impact of Covid shutdown on the transfer market, I'll go with values Id have expected had this not happened.

Bielik - 8m - we need a CB but I dont believe his rash nature can be altered in the next 3 months we'd need for him to play a key role next season. Plenty of cover at CM so he'd be unlikely to play much there. He is a talent though & many clubs would want his pace & power in this division

Marriott - 4m - undeniable talent but he isnt suited to our style, is injury prone & most worryingly doesnt seem that motivated. Rooney's lambast of his casual attitude v Barnsley in January sums it up. Clubs at this level (particularly counter attacking sides) will remember his display v Leeds

Jozefzoon - 500k - just not shown enough in his time here to rely on him at all but is quick & had a decent spell at Brentford. Think a lower half Champ team or a return to Holland would be an option

Malone - 500k - plenty of LB cover now so again a lower half Champ team would be a good move for both parties if wages arent a problem

Bennett - 1m - purely because of his age & unrealised potential. Willing hard worker but injury prone & lacks the football brain we need of our attacking 4. Excuse the pun but he's burnt his bridges here also

14m there to find a GK, CB, RW and a pacey but intelligent CF. Hopefully we are able to find solutions from the youth team and/or cheaper markets rather than spending the whole amount. Interested to see if Cocu's contacts on the continent and Rosenior's knowledge of lower leagues and Prem youth teams turn up some low profile but excellent reinforcements.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

I think some people are going to be surprised by the market when it gets back to some kind of normal. We didn’t have that many valuable players to start with and we’re going to have less now except for the youngsters!

Revenues outside the Prem (and in the Prem to a smaller extent) are going to be heavily dented for the foreseeable future. Gone are the days of the likes of Waghorn and Lawrence being in the £5-7 million bracket.

Players are also in for a shock wageswise. We’ve already seen the start of it with Martin and Huddlestone!

The top players are still going to command silly wages and fees and the top clubs will still have the money for top wages and fees. But as you go down the leagues the changes will become more and more evident.

I think a fair few players are going to find themselves without clubs in the next few seasons if they don’t adjust their expectations, rhee same players who would have found a contract no problem pre-Covid.

Agreed.

Plus the thing that rarely gets mentioned at the moment if the second wave that is almost an inevitability if you listen to the medical experts.

If/when that hits in the autumn it could get really messy.

We picked a good time to have a world class academy.

50 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Names aren't a problem, values much harder especially in the current environment. As no real way of guessing the impact of Covid shutdown on the transfer market, I'll go with values Id have expected had this not happened.

Bielik - 8m - we need a CB but I dont believe his rash nature can be altered in the next 3 months we'd need for him to play a key role next season. Plenty of cover at CM so he'd be unlikely to play much there. He is a talent though & many clubs would want his pace & power in this division

Marriott - 4m - undeniable talent but he isnt suited to our style, is injury prone & most worryingly doesnt seem that motivated. Rooney's lambast of his casual attitude v Barnsley in January sums it up. Clubs at this level (particularly counter attacking sides) will remember his display v Leeds

Jozefzoon - 500k - just not shown enough in his time here to rely on him at all but is quick & had a decent spell at Brentford. Think a lower half Champ team or a return to Holland would be an option

Malone - 500k - plenty of LB cover now so again a lower half Champ team would be a good move for both parties if wages arent a problem

Bennett - 1m - purely because of his age & unrealised potential. Willing hard worker but injury prone & lacks the football brain we need of our attacking 4. Excuse the pun but he's burnt his bridges here also

14m there to find a GK, CB, RW and a pacey but intelligent CF. Hopefully we are able to find solutions from the youth team and/or cheaper markets rather than spending the whole amount. Interested to see if Cocu's contacts on the continent and Rosenior's knowledge of lower leagues and Prem youth teams turn up some low profile but excellent reinforcements.

I like that list, although no idea about valuations. 

I always find it hard to let players go as I just want them all to do well in a Derby shirt but there is no-one on that list I feel particularly attached to.

Marriott possibly the most regret over but he really doesn't fit our style of play.

Bielik has been unfortunate that during his injury Bird has stepped in and made that role his own. 

Good analysis.

16 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Agreed.

Plus the thing that rarely gets mentioned at the moment if the second wave that is almost an inevitability if you listen to the medical experts.

If/when that hits in the autumn it could get really messy.

We picked a good time to have a world class academy.

Deplorable ‘Wet Markets’ have continued and most likely zoonotic viruses will evolve. Most likely source of this godforsaken thing. Depressing thought, even more depressing for the abhorrent treatment of the animals. Sad to say but COVID 19 may become COVID 20 . Back on topic, should this be the case, plans for football will be on the back burner big time. I pray this isn’t the case, thoroughly enjoy this forum and the diverse opinions and thoughts on the team and game. When there’s little activity on here I miss it. Mentally the return of the game has helped me for sure, despite recent results. Many others too no doubt, let’s all hope we can see the development of Philip Cocu’s Derby County in the coming weeks. No idea how long break between seasons will be, has to be shorter than normal so shouldn’t be too long before exciting times again, bar damned virus 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Would agree with @angierambut I think your valuations are double what we would get.

In fact due to their wages I can see Malone and Josefzoon being difficult to get any kind of fee for. Best we could hope for is a loan and part of their wages being paid. We had the same issue with Johnson and Butterfield and they were better players.

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

Carson - FREE 

Roos - 250k 

Bogle - £8m 

Forsyth - 500k

Malone - 500k

Lowe 750k

Bennett - 500k

Josefzoon - £1m

Buy: 

GK (Etheridge?) (Ravas to be backup)

LB (1st teamer) (Buchanan & Shinnie as backup)

CB (Clarke?)

RM/ARM (quality)

LM/ARM (backup for Lawrence)

Why would we sell our 3 best full backs, and Lowe at a ridiculously low price.

Carson - Swap deal for Zack Steffen on a season long loan

Jozefzoon - Can genuinely see teams from abroad being interested. Might get £1m-£1.5m if we're lucky

Bennett - Gets injured too much. If Millwall want him on a permanent, we could probably get £400k-£500k

Mitchell - Still got a year left on his contract, so try and sort a loan (with an option for a permanent deal) for him

Malone - Might struggle to get a buyer, but he is probably 3rd choice at LB at the minute. I think a loan away somewhere would be beneficial for both parties.

23 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Why would we sell our 3 best full backs, and Lowe at a ridiculously low price.

Bogle - the money and he's not great defensively yet

Forsyth, Malone and Lowe because a promotion chasing side needs a better LB imo

26 minutes ago, sage said:

Would agree with @angierambut I think your valuations are double what we would get.

In fact due to their wages I can see Malone and Josefzoon being difficult to get any kind of fee for. Best we could hope for is a loan and part of their wages being paid. We had the same issue with Johnson and Butterfield and they were better players.

Yeah, like I said the valuation part is really difficult given the massive financial impact of recent events. Bielik and Marriott are the two most marketable assets on that list & I could see many teams at our level being interested especially if they're less bothered about intricate/attractive football. In that situation, competition might drive a price up but accept we'd do well to get 12m for the both of them.

The others I think you might be right in terms of struggling to get a decent fee. What we dont know & what would be a key consideration are their current wages & wage demands. Bennett might be fairly low having come through the ranks, the other two less so.

Other than accepting nominal fees to offload players we don't want...Malone and Josefzoon, I think we would only get 7 figure fees from Prem teams or those relegated this time. 

Only other chance we have if someone gets big money from a Prem team and re invests some of it.

Either way unless we receive some fees I can't see us getting anything but free transfers or loans.

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Gary Holt, Livingston manager was on the radio today and said that the power has shifted from the players to the clubs. 

This time last year a player would want to know what £ was on offer before talking about a potential move, but this summer players are willing to turn up for trials without any payment in the hope of a contract. 

Will we even need to sell much? With Anya, Huddlestone, Carson (assuming he goes back to Man City), Keogh and Thorne's wages off the wage bill, and Martin either being on reduced wages or gone as well, that must surely free up a fair amount of funds without needing to raise money through sales. I think we'll see a few sales of fringe members of the squad to boost the budget a little, but assuming the first team players that have played regularly this season are still here next, I'd imagine we'll probably only be seeing three or four players coming in and I don't think we'll need to be raising big money to fund that.

5 minutes ago, JfR said:

Will we even need to sell much? With Anya, Huddlestone, Carson (assuming he goes back to Man City), Keogh and Thorne's wages off the wage bill, and Martin either being on reduced wages or gone as well, that must surely free up a fair amount of funds without needing to raise money through sales. I think we'll see a few sales of fringe members of the squad to boost the budget a little, but assuming the first team players that have played regularly this season are still here next, I'd imagine we'll probably only be seeing three or four players coming in and I don't think we'll need to be raising big money to fund that.

What do you think of our income stream over the last few months? How many season tickets will we sell before the start of the season?

54 minutes ago, sage said:

What do you think of our income stream over the last few months? How many season tickets will we sell before the start of the season?

I'll be honest, we've been in coronavirus lockdown so long at this point that I've gotten used to it and I'd half forgotten it's even a thing.

I think that we'll have to see what happens with regard to player transfers, not just with ourselves but with football in general. If we feel we need to sell players to raise money or to reduce spending, we'll be far from the only team in the country in that situation. I think the big question around transfers is that if everyone's in a position where they need to sell, who are they going to be selling to? I think the next few transfer windows are going to be very interesting for this reason.

6 hours ago, David said:

Probably agree on the Bennett fee, although we should stick a sell on clause in as he’s still young, finds a way to stay fit and play regular football he could still be some player.

Jozefzoon and Malone fees however are a bit low and for that money I would rather keep them both as squad players.

We have to be looking at least a million each as we still have to replace them in someway. 

Have you watched Malone and Jozefzoon play?

If we get 10p for either it will be the deal of the century!

Archived