Who would you sell (and how much do you think we would get)

sage

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Gary Holt, Livingston manager was on the radio today and said that the power has shifted from the players to the clubs. 

This time last year a player would want to know what £ was on offer before talking about a potential move, but this summer players are willing to turn up for trials without any payment in the hope of a contract. 

Interesting, thanks for mentioning!

I think he’s right- at least the short to medium term.

If there’s less money in the pot then players who could once have relied upon a regular championship wage as a squad player (for example) will have to reassess their wage demands and even the divisions they are prepared to get work/play in..............kind of like a domestic auf wiedersehen pet, go anywhere to get the work, when pre-Covid they could rely on a couple of champ clubs giving them a cushy two year contract!

I didn’t mention it in my previous comment but I think established players are now going to have a lot more competition from youngsters for contracts as well. As we are seeing in our own side, we have got rid of a number of higher earners and replaced them with talented youngsters who will be on a fraction of the wage. 

Not all clubs are as lucky as us with the youngsters they have, but some will go down this route as a necessity along with slimming down squads and senior pros will find themselves squeezed on both sides!

I think we'll be getting rid of Jozefzoon, Mitchell, Carson, Malone, Roos and Bennett for free to save wages - Carson is apparently on a huge wage and the others are useless.

If any team makes a realistic offer for Forysth (250K), Wisdom (£1m), Waghorn (£2m), Lawrence (£3m), Shinnie (£1m) or Marriott (£1m) we'll take it as they're not a perfect fit for Cocu's style, although all have a lot going for them as players.

I reckon we'll sell one of Sibley or Bird for £15m - which will be the transfer kitty.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Agreed.

Plus the thing that rarely gets mentioned at the moment if the second wave that is almost an inevitability if you listen to the medical experts.

If/when that hits in the autumn it could get really messy.

We picked a good time to have a world class academy.

Without a doubt....whether by necessity or design Mel’s played a blinder in terms of the academy and the timing of its development.

I mentioned in a reply to another poster that youngsters at other clubs will start competing with senior pros for contracts at clubs and some senior pros will find themselves pushed out and will need to drop their wage demands, drop a division, or two or both!

Obviously not all youngsters will be good enough but many will get the opportunities at many clubs ahead of the journeymen. We are very lucky with our young talent!

As much as I like him and would like to see him stay, I bet it’s not much fun being in Chris Martins position right now!

2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I think we'll be getting rid of Jozefzoon, Mitchell, Carson, Malone, Roos and Bennett for free to save wages - Carson is apparently on a huge wage and the others are useless.

If any team makes a realistic offer for Forysth (250K), Wisdom (£1m), Waghorn (£2m), Lawrence (£3m), Shinnie (£1m) or Marriott (£1m) we'll take it as they're not a perfect fit for Cocu's style, although all have a lot going for them as players.

I reckon we'll sell one of Sibley or Bird for £15m - which will be the transfer kitty.

I can see us selling our best academy players just yet unless we are really desperate. 

Hopefully Bennett, Jozefzoon and Malone will go. If we get a chocolate coin for Bennett we’ll have diddled someone.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If we need money and there are offers I'd sell Bird and Bogle - Bielik is gonna have Bird's spot and Festy will be the new Bogle! ?

Why would we sell arguably our best player for someone who’s coming back from a serious injury and may not even be able to play midfield in the same way.

I'd agree with that list, although loans for Carson, Malone and Jozefzoon may be more likely.

Davies may attract a loan offer from somewhere like Rotherham etc.

Bennett will probably command a nominal fee.

I think Fozzy will be safe enough due to his versatility.

The rest of your valuations seem fair enough with the situation as it is, but I think we may see the comeback of swap deals instead of cash transactions.

I'd hope we wouldn't need to cash in on either, but if we did I'd imagine Sibley would attract greater interest. He's something a little bit different than the usual academy player, although I don't see anyone going as high as £15m just yet.

Bird is more typical of academy youngsters, tactically aware, technically good and superbly professional.

His game is impressive in many ways, but I'm not sure teams in the Premier League will covet his skillset as much as Sibley's, in fact they'll probably rate their own midfielders of the same age as highly.

If they are watching him, they'll probably wait to see if he can add a little more penetration to his passing on a more regular basis.

5 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Why would we sell arguably our best player for someone who’s coming back from a serious injury and may not even be able to play midfield in the same way.

Because Bird is saleable. Oh and I'd keep Sibley and Knight before Bird.

3 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

...mainly due to Knight not possessing much technical ability (he’s a grafter).

Really? Well that's your opinion. I seem to remember Rooney thinks highly of him, so that's me and Wayne.

7 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

With all due respect to Knight, I really like him and he’s got good potential, but Bird has a much higher ceiling, mainly due to Knight not possessing much technical ability (he’s a grafter).

I like grafters as teams need them, Bird I wouldn’t want to sell but £10 million from Manchester United and a sell on clause and a loan back would suit us ? 

Just now, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

So you want to sell our best player when we’re trying to build towards promotion.

Yes, if we need the money. Plus I'd rather put Beilik in there, he has more drive and aggression (perhaps too much :D).  

Archived