Do we need a new goalkeeper?

IslandExile

Do we need a new goalkeeper?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Theres no need to exaggerate to make your point.

I imagine you dont know half of the goalkeepers in this division, nevermind the 48/96 from the divisions below.

I dont remember him kicking the ball out once today but happy to be corrected.

He saved plenty of shots midweek.

Agree that he gets caught in no mans land too often and in the last few matches he has caused us goals.

To say he has cost us a play off place is silly though.

We've scored 2 goals in the last 3 games...that is not play off form.

He has cost us a playoff place. With a competent keeper, we'd be in the playoffs. My exaggerations were partially in jest, but a lot of it I meant. I don't think there is a keeper from any league worse than Hamer. You are wrong. He kicked the ball out at least 3 times. Huddersfield got promoted to the Premier League with a negative goal difference by playing it tight. We can't play it tight with Hamer in net.  

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JfR said:

Jury's out, but I think it's harsh to blame Given when Ben Hamer was already known as "Banter Ben" before he even got here, and Roos had the same issues he's had this season during some of his loan spells. 

I have no idea what Given does/doesn't do with the goalkeepers but when they both make the same mistakes and both get worse during the season I think it's fair to ask questions.

4 minutes ago, JfR said:

Jury's out, but I think it's harsh to blame Given when Ben Hamer was already known as "Banter Ben" before he even got here, and Roos had the same issues he's had this season during some of his loan spells. 

Agree it’s a difficult one but I think you sort of made my point insofar as both had issues prior to being coached by Given but the point being neither have addressed\improved upon these issues since he’s coached them!!! Therefore what is his worth if he can’t improve them????

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He has cost us a playoff place. With a competent keeper, we'd be in the playoffs. My exaggerations were partially in jest, but a lot of it I meant. I don't think there is a keeper from any league worse than Hamer. You are wrong. He kicked the ball out at least 3 times. Huddersfield got promoted to the Premier League with a negative goal difference by playing it tight. We can't play it tight with Hamer in net.  

Ok can you name the other 71 keepers than he is worse than please and how many times you have seen them play?

And also the 'at least 3 times' he kicked the ball out, I will watch the match back and apologise if I was wrong.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

What does that relate to?

It's what the Leicester fans called him when he was with them and making similar mistakes. It's a bit like how David James became "Calamity James" for a while. 

After listening to Cocu's post-match interview I'll be surprised if Roos doesn't come back in for the remaining 3 games. It's pointless sticking with Hamer - he's a loan and hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify making it permanent.

Roos is adequate as back-up - what we need is a keeper who, barring injury, is of high enough quality not to be challenged from week to week by the No 2.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

After listening to Cocu's post-match interview I'll be surprised if Roos doesn't come back in for the remaining 3 games. It's pointless sticking with Hamer - he's a loan and hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify making it permanent.

Roos is adequate as back-up - what we need is a keeper who, barring injury, is of high enough quality not to be challenged from week to week by the No 2.

What did Cocu say?

46 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Disagree that we need two, Roos is a sufficient back-up.

Well yeh, if you're backup is horrible and will never have to play.

Roos was as bad as Hamer before he was dropped.

But I agree, we shouldn't be paying for two. I have faith in Cocu that he'll bring overseas players in including a keeper.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What did Cocu say?

Not so much what he said as to how he said it. Definitely seemed to an air of annoyance about the second goal - keeper mistake but also Bogle letting their player run off him

4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Strictly speaking, your neighbour's grandmother would be a new keeper.

Ooh I don't know!  Have you seen her?
No more than a one night stand for me, but hey, whatever floats yer boat!

...Bagsy I go first, mind!  Then she's all yours!

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok can you name the other 71 keepers than he is worse than please and how many times you have seen them play?

And also the 'at least 3 times' he kicked the ball out, I will watch the match back and apologise if I was wrong.

Apology accepted.

4 hours ago, David said:

I don’t think you will find one Derby fan that doesn’t think we don’t need to be looking for a keeper when the window opens. 

I still believe Roos could turn out to be a very top class keeper for us. But, that's reliant on having two solid CBs in front of him who will dominate the area from crosses and set pieces (which seems unlikely). I don't think the fans will be patient enough for him to rebuild his confidence either.

Despite not thinking we need a new GK, I feel it's in the club's and Roos' best interests if we part ways and we look for a new GK.

20 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Shay Given is stealing a living

Yep .... if we gonna question the qualities of Hamer & Roos then we got to question the qualities of who’s coaching them .... obvious connection to make innit????

Archived