Do we need a new goalkeeper?

IslandExile

Do we need a new goalkeeper?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Interesting name mentioned by Eric Steel yesterday was Danny Ward Leicesters back up keeper. Was at Liverpool before Leicester and on loan and first choice at Huddersfield in their promotion season.

Steele suggested he is looking for more game time either permanently or a loan to push for more Welsh caps. 

That's an interesting one.

Leicester have a young keeper too called Daniel Iversen who got promotion with Rotherham this season, 38 games 10 clean sheets, 36 goals conceded.

Not to mention they have Eldin Jakupovic who could do a job for a season or 2, but is the wrong side of 30 now.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Back in the day Stoke tried to buy Gordon Banks from Leicester as they had Peter Shilton(Wow!).

The asking price was £50,000 but Gordon was reluctant as he wanted to clear £2,000 as his payment.

Banksy believed that Tony Waddington paid the £2,000 himself.

Any chance of a deal like that maybes??

He died not long ago so I would have thought it is unlikely.

18 hours ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

A lot of footballers would be well advised to stay away from social media. It just seems like they are setting themselves up to get criticism for any error, or simply from people who don’t like them, directly into their hand, which in turn must have a huge impact on their confidence. I can’t think the praise they get following a good performance ever comes near to outweighing all the negative stuff they get.  

Whilst I agree that they would be well advised, do you really think they should have to?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Whilst I agree that they would be well advised, do you really think they should have to?

Absolutely not, but that isn’t the position or the society we live in. Footballers aren’t the only ones who are subject to abuse on social media. Anyone who is high profile, celebrities, politicians, sports people, Can expect this kind of behaviour to be directed at them. My suggestion of advising players to stay away is because this is not an issue that is going to go away any time soon. Football is something which brings out the best and worst in people (see the poster who raised a large amount of money for a show of support and charitable donations, but also started a petition to have a player removed from the club in the space of ten days), and that needs to be addressed. In the short term, whilst we find a solution, the mental health and well-being of our players  needs to be considered, and advising them to remove themselves from social media would be a step to help with that. 

Yes.

Carson - I think he'll likely stay at Man City. He's a top 'keeper at this level, but he doesn't fit the way Cocu wants to play and I have a feeling we'd be quite pleased to get a high earner off the books.

Roos - It's quite incredible how far this guy's stock has fallen. He's had an absolute stinker of a season, but I think it's worth remembering that he took the shirt off a former England international last season on merit. He clearly hasn't got over his error in the play off final, and I'm not sure if he will whilst playing for Derby. A fresh start might do his career good, as was the case with Lee Camp. Personally I would like to see him play our remaining games. I was in favour of dropping him initially because the crowd had become so hostile towards him that to continue fielding him was detrimental to both him and the team, but this period of playing in empty stadiums with nothing on the line in our remaining games is the best opportunity for him to return to first team football.

Hamer - He's honestly performed well above my expectations, but that's not exactly saying much. When I haven't seen much of a player personally I usually do the rounds to see what fans of their former clubs have to say about them. If you think the outrage and hyperbole on here regarding Hamer is bad, you should see what Huddersfield and Leicester fans have to say about him. The few that noticed he'd turned up at Derby reacted with either pity or hysteria. What I'm saying is that Hamer's performance is definitely not a confidence issue, or anything to do with a lack of protection from our defence. He's simply a bad 'keeper and there's no way we should sign him. No hate, he's actually done ok to string a reasonably consistent few months together, but there's no way he'd have even got a minute on the field if it weren't for Roos' disintegration.

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I have a question.

If Carson doesn't fit in with the way Cocu wants to play, how does he fit in with how Guardiola wants to play?

He doesn't, but Guardiola hasn't signed him with any intention of ever playing him. Guardiola signed him to sit on the bench and fulfill the CL squad domestic player quota.

Do we need a new keeper,in my opinion yes because Hamer goes back at the end of the season but Roos cant get a game, so i think Cocu must have someone in mind or should i say i hope he has or who will play between the sticks.

With Carson seemingly staying with Citeh, and no chance we keep Hamer on permanently. That leaves Roos as the only senior GK.

That's before you take into consideration how much stock Roos has at the moment.

Definitely need one keeper. Most probably two - unless we step one up from the academy? Ravas has been knocking about the bench a few times...

20 minutes ago, Anon said:

He doesn't, but Guardiola hasn't signed him with any intention of ever playing him. Guardiola signed him to sit on the bench and fulfill the CL squad domestic player quota.

That doesn't make much sense. If someone is on the bench, you have to have the intention of playing him. What if your first choice is injured in the match. If you have no intention of playing someone, you don't sign them. They have goalkeepers in the academy that can fulfil quotas.

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That doesn't make much sense. If someone is on the bench, you have to have the intention of playing him. What if your first choice is injured in the match. If you have no intention of playing someone, you don't sign them. They have goalkeepers in the academy that can fulfil quotas.

Not with the crazy money in modern football. Carson's wages are a drop in the ocean to City and that gets them the security of having a top class 'keeper to call on in case of emergency, rather than a kid from the academy.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Part of his role will be as a mentor to the academy / younger players. Someone to look up to for his professionalism and experience 

He's getting on the bench at the moment, but all of Man City's games are effectively dead rubbers. I don't think he was even making the bench when they thought they had something to play for and they probably wouldn't risk having to play him in a big game.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Part of his role will be as a mentor to the academy / younger players. Someone to look up to for his professionalism and experience 

He's getting on the bench at the moment, but all of Man City's games are effectively dead rubbers. I don't think he was even making the bench when they thought they had something to play for and they probably wouldn't risk having to play him in a big game.

Read a piece in the Athletic the other day about Andy Lonergan, 4th/5th choice at Liverpool now, was basically saying that a keeper can be signed solely for training these days, that the intensity of training/shooting drills/small sided matches means that you cannot expect your first 2 keepers to perform day in day out, as such you need a reliable keeper to step in and still be decentish even though they are never likely to play a game for you. Many years ago when he was first starting out Eric Steele took me to Wolves and Oxford to fulfil such a role meaning that he could work with the first team keepers whilst I went in nets for small sided games or shooting drills, nowadays you can get an ex-England international in as opposed to some 15 year old kid who plays for Chesterfield.

Also, as you say, helping the youngsters is also another thing as well as personality of the keeper for the group dynamic, Jimmy Walker (Ex Walsall, West Ham, Spurs amongst others) was never really a first choice at the top level but no one he played with has a bad word to say about him and that his personality was a bonus for any dressing room.

Well hamer really starting to struggle now so is it time give roos another go or do we go with ravas but this would be gamble or go with mitchal but even him I am not fully convince by so once season over we can start search for a new goal keeper.

Put simply, I’d be amazed if Mr Cocu hasn’t got at least one goalkeeper already lined up for next season. If all us ‘experts’ on here can see we desperately need a new keeper don’t you think our manager can see the same ?

Archived