Do we need a new goalkeeper?

IslandExile

Do we need a new goalkeeper?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Coconut said:

Carson was genuinely poor last season though. I'm not making that up, nor am I making up the fact that Kelle Roos got his chance in the team because Carson picked up an injury.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-carsons-latest-injury-setback-2532532.amp

If Carson was dropped for 'not being a sweeper' he wouldn't have started the season as first choice and it wouldn't have taken until January for Roos to make his first league appearance for us.

I didn’t say that he wasn’t injured or that he wasn’t as good as he had been, but that it was obvious that Lampard valued a ‘sweeper keeper’ foremost. He didn’t get chance to come back after injury so it’s disingenuous to imply it was all season. Perhaps he didn’t ‘get along’ with Given? 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn’t say that he wasn’t injured or that he wasn’t as good as he had been, but that it was obvious that Lampard valued a ‘sweeper keeper’ foremost. He didn’t get chance to come back after injury so it’s disingenuous to imply it was all season. Perhaps he didn’t ‘get along’ with Given? 

He did get a second chance, he got dropped though because he was making errors.

15 hours ago, jimbobram said:

I disagree. I think quite a few of the mistakes have been poor decision making. Punching when you should be catching. Palming the ball back into danger when it should be parried to the side and out of danger. Those are the things goal keeping coaches should be coaching. 

roos isn’t a bad keeper. He’s actually a good shot stopper. Stands up and makes it difficult for the forward, he’s just awful with crosses and catching high balls. A good goal keeping coach would working on this all the time. 

I get your point but I'd counter with three things; just because someone is coached something doesn't mean they do it in the moment, coaching takes time and sometimes it's really difficult to iron out flaws and it's not like the two keepers we have now had a stellar rep before being coached by Given. 

Given may not be the best coach but I just don't see how we have the information to make that argument because the more likely situation is that we just have two keepers who aren't that good.

11 hours ago, wyschtonram said:

Roos kept us in it with three excellent saves, some absolutely shocking play in front of him gifted them (Cardiff) two goals.

True. He did well last night but, you can’t judge good or bad based on one game otherwise, based on last night, Rooney wouldn’t get picked again.

Archived