Do we need a new goalkeeper?

IslandExile

Do we need a new goalkeeper?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Put simply, I’d be amazed if Mr Cocu hasn’t got at least one goalkeeper already lined up for next season. If all us ‘experts’ on here can see we desperately need a new keeper don’t you think our manager can see the same ?

We need two or three goalkeepers for sure.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Agree that 2 needed as long as we can find a benchwarmer better than Roos. 

Personally I would get new GK coach also as can’t help but think problem started when Given came in.

I would agree that the quality of Hamer & Roos do Given no favours whatsoever as their coach. In his defence I accept that you can’t polish a tu*d but there appears to be no progress with either of them and the mistakes & deficiencies are there for all to see, so one has to ask what is being done on the training ground ?‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Agree that 2 needed as long as we can find a benchwarmer better than Roos. 

Personally I would get new GK coach also as can’t help but think problem started when Given came in.

I feel that with Given is entirely coincidental. Generally the mistakes haven't been down to anything you can coach really (I think, willing to be corrected) they are just pure individual errors.

18 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I feel that with Given is entirely coincidental. Generally the mistakes haven't been down to anything you can coach really (I think, willing to be corrected) they are just pure individual errors.

I find it interesting that we no longer hear from the keepers about how much they’re still learning from their coach. Like we got about Zubi and Steele.

51 minutes ago, Gisby said:

I would agree that the quality of Hamer & Roos do Given no favours whatsoever as their coach. In his defence I accept that you can’t polish a tu*d but there appears to be no progress with either of them and the mistakes & deficiencies are there for all to see, so one has to ask what is being done on the training ground ?‍♂️

I expect there is scope within the GK coaches role to enlighten the manager as to the inadequacies of the keepers that he has to work with. 

4 minutes ago, europia said:

I expect there is scope within the GK coaches role to enlighten the manager as to the inadequacies of the keepers that he has to work with. 

And I’m sure he does, at least if I were him I would on every occasion I got because at the moment these two are dragging him down with them. In his shoes I wouldn’t want them on my CV. Professional suicide!!! 

5 minutes ago, Gisby said:

And I’m sure he does, at least if I were him I would on every occasion I got because at the moment these two are dragging him down with them. In his shoes I wouldn’t want them on my CV. Professional suicide!!! 

Who recommended Hamer to the Rams.

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I find it interesting that we no longer hear from the keepers about how much they’re still learning from their coach. Like we got about Zubi and Steele.

I still think it's just pure coincidence more than anything and I really don't think it's easy to judge coaches from the outside. 

For me when it comes to things like GK coaches is only really the manager who can make that judgement.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

I disagree. I think quite a few of the mistakes have been poor decision making. Punching when you should be catching. Palming the ball back into danger when it should be parried to the side and out of danger. Those are the things goal keeping coaches should be coaching. 

roos isn’t a bad keeper. He’s actually a good shot stopper. Stands up and makes it difficult for the forward, he’s just awful with crosses and catching high balls. A good goal keeping coach would working on this all the time. 

30 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I disagree. I think quite a few of the mistakes have been poor decision making. Punching when you should be catching. Palming the ball back into danger when it should be parried to the side and out of danger. Those are the things goal keeping coaches should be coaching. 

roos isn’t a bad keeper. He’s actually a good shot stopper. Stands up and makes it difficult for the forward, he’s just awful with crosses and catching high balls. A good goal keeping coach would working on this all the time. 

The niggle is that he (Roos) did not seem to be as bad with crosses before current coach working with him.

In same time, Carson also went downhill?

There's only so much you can coach someone, the mental side of the game of any competitive activity is massive. There are a few examples out there of players who've mentioned they have therapy sessions and 'mental coaches' away from the club.

Telling someone the right thing to do, practicing it time and time again counts for nothing if they go to pieces once they're expected to do it for real.

Think of it as someone failing their  driving test for the third, sixth, tenth, or however many times if you want. Hundreds of hours of practice, the student knows exactly what they need to do to pass, they've parallel parked, reverse round corners and into parking spaces hundreds of times each. Their instructor has watched them calmly deal with a variety of situations in practice, there's literally nothing more they can do to help.

...and then on their twelfth attempt the learner driver stalls on a hill start less than a mile from the test centre, despite never having done that in any of the hundreds of hours of lessons they've had!

is that the instructor's fault?

(And no, I'm not talking about myself!)

3 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

The niggle is that he (Roos) did not seem to be as bad with crosses before current coach working with him.

In same time, Carson also went downhill?

Based on a zero games played for Derby County (first team) whilst being coached by anyone else?

Carson went downhill in part because of injury, so couldn't get down to low shots so well, and at no point in his career where was he someone who came off his line to catch a ball he was anything less than 100% certain he'd catch.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Based on a zero games played for Derby County (first team) whilst being coached by anyone else?

Carson went downhill in part because of injury, so couldn't get down to low shots so well, and at no point in his career where was he someone who came off his line to catch a ball he was anything less than 100% certain he'd catch.

What? Things really starting to be made up now. Carson is a cracking keeper, discarded because Lampard wanted a keeper who was a sweeper! 

25 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I'd just like to correct myself on this one, he made 5 appearances in the cup for us during the 2014/15 season, but that was it until the Lampard season.

Hardly enough to make any definitive statement on changes to his game.under different coaches nonetheless.

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What? Things really starting to be made up now. Carson is a cracking keeper, discarded because Lampard wanted a keeper who was a sweeper! 

Think you'll find its you making stuff up if you're trying to pretend Carson was a commanding keeper who regularly came out and claimed crosses.

I'm not even saying it was a bad thing that he only came off his line when the chances were greatly in his favour, just a fact.

Carson was genuinely poor last season though. I'm not making that up, nor am I making up the fact that Kelle Roos got his chance in the team because Carson picked up an injury.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-carsons-latest-injury-setback-2532532.amp

If Carson was dropped for 'not being a sweeper' he wouldn't have started the season as first choice and it wouldn't have taken until January for Roos to make his first league appearance for us.

Archived