Do we need a new goalkeeper?

IslandExile

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I think Hamer is genuinely one of the worst goalkeepers I’ve ever had the misfortune of watching play. He can’t pass. He can’t catch. He can’t command his area. Every single week at the moment there’s an absolute clanger that gifts the opposition an easy goal. It’s just unacceptable. He can’t ever step foot on that pitch in a Derby shirt again now. If Roos doesn’t start midweek then I’m gonna cry.

I think Roy Carroll and Andy Oakes push him close. I think Kevin Poole was better than Hamer though!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there were a few reasonable keepers who moved last summer, but this move had all the appearance of a cheap temporary fix. 
no doubt this will be addressed in the summer, when the loan deal expires, but once again the budget will be tight.

10 hours ago, Charlie George said:

Not a chance we'll be able to pay the transfer fees any of these three would  command. 

Either we pick up a hidden gem - which we've been spectacularly bad at - or we pay the going rate for a good keeper. Plus I know there's no obvs basis of doubt about Given, but if Steele could sort out De Gea when he was a youngster he could do a job again for us.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, G-Ram said:

We needed a new goalkeeper last summer & failed to address the situation. We failed again in January. We can't go into next season without a quality goalkeeper. 

A competent goal keeper for me would be sufficent.

Goalkeeper has to be the first area we address this summer. The team is short in other areas, but even with those weaknesses we would surely have enough to get over the line and into the playoffs this season with a stronger keeper. 

The problem really is, who do we go and sign? The main issue we have with the keepers is they lack the ability to come and catch the ball and dominate their area, but how many have that skill set in the championship? Roos and Hamer (usually) are good reflex, shot stopping keepers who are very similar to all the other keepers I’ve seen in the league. Samba at Forest has been widely touted as the best keeper in the league by various pundits, but whenever I’ve seen him play he’s struggled with catching balls coming into the box, much like our two do. Even Carson, who we all remember very fondly has the same issues of not wanting to come off his line. 

Roos or Hamer for the rest of the season doesn’t really matter that much, both are going to make the same types of errors and we are just going to have to suck it up for now. They are both, however, very typical of a modern keeper - good at stopping shots but glued to their line and will always opt to punch. Fingers crossed that Phil and the recruitment team can find a keeper who can command his area, play out from the back and be a good shot stopper, but I won’t be holding my breath. I feel, at this level especially, you can only really have two qualities of the three. 

Sith Happens
34 minutes ago, RamNut said:

it’s like asking “do we need a vaccine”.

hamer wouldn't need a vaccine,  he won't catch anything this year 

Sith Happens
Just now, angieram said:

Hamer has had to delete his twitter account after the personal abuse he suffered from Derby 'fans' yesterday.

Idiots.

that is shocking,  I know some of us aren't happy with his performance and have said so on here,  but to go and personally attack someone online or not is out of order. 

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Hamer has had to delete his twitter account after the personal abuse he suffered from Derby 'fans' yesterday.

Idiots.

Keyboard warriors, I detest them. That makes me sad, angry and pretty despondent. You’ve kept that clean @angieram ‘idiots‘ is way too polite for these trolls. What an awful society we live in that these morons have their ‘fun’ this way. Like everyone I was disappointed we conceded that second but the lad is trying his damndest. His confidence was shot after that error, clearly. Of course we need a keeper, I wish him well in his future. 

Back in the day Stoke tried to buy Gordon Banks from Leicester as they had Peter Shilton(Wow!).

The asking price was £50,000 but Gordon was reluctant as he wanted to clear £2,000 as his payment.

Banksy believed that Tony Waddington paid the £2,000 himself.

Any chance of a deal like that maybes??

A lot of footballers would be well advised to stay away from social media. It just seems like they are setting themselves up to get criticism for any error, or simply from people who don’t like them, directly into their hand, which in turn must have a huge impact on their confidence. I can’t think the praise they get following a good performance ever comes near to outweighing all the negative stuff they get.  

43 minutes ago, angieram said:

Idiots.

Disgraceful. 

If we do get Zack Steffen on a season long loan (as suggested in another thread) he would be an ideal option on paper.

We've got Roos under contract for another 2 years. Ravas has looked alright in the under-23s. Both of those should be capable 'back-ups' (if they're happy to be 2nd and 3rd choice)... but a new number one is definitely needed. If we can get an 'option to buy' as part of the loan deal, that we can take up if he impresses, that would be great.

Interesting name mentioned by Eric Steel yesterday was Danny Ward Leicesters back up keeper. Was at Liverpool before Leicester and on loan and first choice at Huddersfield in their promotion season.

Steele suggested he is looking for more game time either permanently or a loan to push for more Welsh caps. 

Archived