Test Cricket is Back

sage

Is this England’s worst ever bowling attack?

Quick bowlers who aren’t quick and a spin bowler who doesn’t spin it.

We haven’t had a spin bowler since Swann quit and we are toothless without Broad and Anderson (and even they haven’t been great of late).

14 hours ago, Carnero said:

Ducking useless lot.

Resign Root FFS.

I agree Root should go.

Trouble is, there’s no obvious replacement.

Only Stokes is sure of his place and he’d make a terrible captain.

The best international captain we’ve had in years is Eoin Morgan.

We should try to convince him to do the job short term. He could bat at seven and have a go. Not a great test batsman but then neither was Brierley.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

We should try to convince him to do the job short term. He could bat at seven and have a go. Not a great test batsman but then neither was Brierley

Absolutely. Thought this for a few years now, he could probably slot in at 6 and do as good a job as most of our other batsmen have managed over the last few years!

I fear his time has passed now though, he was even considering finishing as ODI captain a year or so ago with Buttler lined up as his replacement.

What about somebody like Sam Billings coming in as captain and wicket keeper? I believe he's highly thought of as a leader having captained Kent.

31 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Absolutely. Thought this for a few years now, he could probably slot in at 6 and do as good a job as most of our other batsmen have managed over the last few years!

I fear his time has passed now though, he was even considering finishing as ODI captain a year or so ago with Buttler lined up as his replacement.

What about somebody like Sam Billings coming in as captain and wicket keeper? I believe he's highly thought of as a leader having captained Kent.

I think it would be difficult to come into the side as captain having not proven himself either as a captain or a batsman at the top level.

But then, desperate times call for desperate measures.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree Root should go.

Trouble is, there’s no obvious replacement.

Only Stokes is sure of his place and he’d make a terrible captain.

We should try to convince him to do the job short term. He could bat at seven and have a go. Not a great test batsman but then neither was Brierley.

Seeing as Root scored the third-highest number of test runs in a year of all time in 2021 and has, even allowing for the latest debacle, managed two tons this year in the first five tests, I beg to differ.

Sure, replace him as captain. I've never been convinced of his inspirational leadership qualities, but he is the only one who has consistently contributed runs - and to do so consistently in possibly the worst England side since the 1990's (when at that time we ranked below Zimbabwe) is nothing short of remarkable.

Edited by Eddie

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Seeing as Root scored the third-highest number of test runs in a year of all time in 2021 and has, even allowing for the latest debacle, managed two tons this year in the first five tests, I beg to differ.

Sure, replace him as captain. I've never been convinced of his inspirational leadership qualities, but he is the only one who has consistently contributed runs - and to do so consistently in possibly the worst England side since the 1990's (when at that time we ranked below Zimbabwe) is nothing short of remarkable.

Sorry Eddie, just meant as captain. He is head and shoulders our best batsman.

Seems to me that the next captain is not important. It's the captain after the next one that will be long term. Give it Broad, and Stokes can be vice until Broad retires and muddle through the next 18 months until any of the numerous top order rotations make a case for being quality. If they all turn out to be rubbish then back to the drawing board.

• 3 weeks later...