Test Cricket is Back

sage

2 hours ago, sage said:

But who will you replace him with? 

I dunno. But that's not really the point for me. We get the same arguments over Derby managers. Just because there's no obvious replacement, doesn't mean he should continue.

He's bad at his job so he shouldn't be doing it.

They probably need to go on the knees in front of Stuart Broad as a short-term option until a long-term candidate emerges.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

I dunno. But that's not really the point for me. We get the same arguments over Derby managers. Just because there's no obvious replacement, doesn't mean he should continue.

He's bad at his job so he shouldn't be doing it.

They probably need to go on the knees in front of Stuart Broad as a short-term option until a long-term candidate emerges.

It's not the same thing because you are playing as well. 

19 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

and he can carry on doing that. But there's no reason to keep him as captain just because the selectors can't think of another person to do it.

The job as England captain is different to being Derby manager was the pint I was making in respect of quoting your post. 

Someone has to be a good enough to play Test Cricket, likely to stay fit to play all tests and be a good captain. 

Can you think of anyone who fits all 3 criteria?

7 minutes ago, sage said:

The job as England captain is different to being Derby manager was the pint I was making in respect of quoting your post. 

Someone has to be a good enough to play Test Cricket, likely to stay fit to play all tests and be a good captain. 

Can you think of anyone who fits all 3 criteria?

One of the 11 player that get picked to play

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

So what's the solution?

The players within the current test set up don't play enough first class cricket to gain experience in captaincy, so you either have to take someone from outside who has captaincy experience or you get someone from within the set up and make them captain.

I have too many bad memories of Chris Cowdrey to think the first could ever be a good idea, so it's the second. As I said before, that's probably Stuart Broad.

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So what's the solution?

The players within the current test set up don't play enough first class cricket to gain experience in captaincy, so you either have to take someone from outside who has captaincy experience or you get someone from within the set up and make them captain.

I have too many bad memories of Chris Cowdrey to think the first could ever be a good idea, so it's the second. As I said before, that's probably Stuart Broad.

Stuart Broad can't play every game. 

I don't think he has particularly judgement. 

There are no obvious options which my original point. 

Of the people who have played in recent years, Burns and Billings are the only experienced captains. 

Burns is the nearest of those two to being a Test regular. 

He is probably the least worst option. 

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

I think sage liked Joesph Root.

plus he realises the rest are not captain material.

They have no natural successor, so some might say bring in Freddie Flintoff to shake things up? But not me, I’ve no ideas.

I think he's a great player and an average captain.

However in the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is King. 

• 1 month later...