Test Cricket is Back

sage

What a horrible scorecard to look at. Extras is the 2nd best batter in the team! I was really looking forward to the cricket today after what’s been happening at Derby and then the Lions defeat. What a shambles! I might just give up on sport and become one of these Netflix people.

04C9125B-45E5-4897-8270-3F74E8010EE9.jpeg

Edited by Loftyhites

17 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

England need to find a much better top three as a matter of urgency. Interesting that in the combined first and second innings, India's first 2 wickets put on 177 runs compared to England's paltry 24. In a relatively modest scoring match that's a huge disadvantage.

Well the only silver lining is that surely we’ve seen the last of Sibley’s abominable batting in an England shirt. I hope they will give Hameed another try - he looked ok in the second innings and got a good one. 
Given the form Root is in, there’s a long way to go in this series. And I wonder whether Stokes saw that shambles and will say: ok I’m back 

Liam Livingstone anyone? Not a test opener by any standard but wack 30 straight off in 20 min to give us a start and then let the cricketers have a go. My goodness, this is a good single malt. Don’t post anything that you’ll regret in the morning! Whoops!

29 minutes ago, Loftyhites said:

Liam Livingstone anyone? Not a test opener by any standard but wack 30 straight off in 20 min to give us a start and then let the cricketers have a go. My goodness, this is a good single malt. Don’t post anything that you’ll regret in the morning! Whoops!

The only way he could do worse than our current openers is to last fewer than 4 balls.

On 17/08/2021 at 21:34, Loftyhites said:

Dunno if he can cope with a red ball, Buttler is finding it hard enough and he’s no slouch. I think Crawley is ‘the one’ but he’s been sent back to the counties I think. Will be interesting to see if Malan can do it. We need Pope and Stokes 

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Dunno if he can cope with a red ball, Buttler is finding it hard enough and he’s no slouch. I think Crawley is ‘the one’ but he’s been sent back to the counties I think. Will be interesting to see if Malan can do it. We need Pope and Stokes 

Malan is a good player, but I don't think he's a number 3. He's similar to Joe Root and Ollie Pope in that he can accelerate the scoring and increase the run rate once the new ball has been worn down. 

I agree about Crawley, he definitely has the ability but had it not been for that 267, he'd have been dropped a while ago. I've got high hopes for Hameed as an opener. Not a good return test for him, but he's looked great for Notts this year. I feel a bit sorry for Sibley, as he's usually done his job over blocking the new ball, but gotten out in silly ways when England are chasing the game in the 4th innings. Our middle order is a bit weak and #batdeep is no longer so Sibley scoring 20 of 90 balls looks terrible, when for a lot of teams that's a job well done.

On 17/08/2021 at 08:06, Loftyhites said:

What a horrible scorecard to look at. Extras is the 2nd best batter in the team! I was really looking forward to the cricket today after what’s been happening at Derby and then the Lions defeat. What a shambles! I might just give up on sport and become one of these Netflix people.

04C9125B-45E5-4897-8270-3F74E8010EE9.jpeg

…and that was on a good batting pitch.

No technique, no application, no concentration. The only ones who want to bat for a long time are Root, who’s our best player, and Sibley who’s like one of those guys who brings nothing to the party but is still there when you’re cleaning up.

34 minutes ago, sage said:

India 21 for 3. Anderson with all 3. Just got Kohli out. Loved the celebration.

p.s. knob off Kohli

Tuning it round corners this morning. Classic Jimmy Anderson. Funny thing is that when I fist saw him bowl, I thought he was rubbish and I can clearly remember saying to a pal that he'd never make a test cricketer ?

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear India. 78 all out is the sort of score my childhoood led me to believe only England were capable of.

Hopefully they bowl england out for a low score and make the game interesting, but I fear that kind of a first innings might be fatal to the test as a competition.

Lest we forget...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-world-test-championship-2019-2021-1195334/england-vs-australia-3rd-test-1152848/full-scorecard

?

23 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear India. 78 all out is the sort of score my childhoood led me to believe only England were capable of.

Hopefully they bowl england out for a low score and make the game interesting, but I fear that kind of a first innings might be fatal to the test as a competition.

baalocks to that, let's beat them by an innings

Had a feeling England were going to get them cheaply when they won the toss and batted first. Not a wrong decision by any means, but Anderson was due a quality spell and Headingley often seems best for batting on day two.

Hopefully reach parity 0 or 1 wicket down and put them to the sword.