Test Cricket is Back

sage

• 4 weeks later...

55-4 after being put in to bat shows it's not been too easy.

Pope and Stokes trying to restore some respectability.

After meeting a South African chap a few years with some very strong views about apartheid, I have ever since wished defeat on every South African Cricket and Rugby team. This fellow however dimissed football as a sport, so Bafana are OK.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well, it would take a collapse of Englandesque proportions to stop an England victory now.

Given the fact that day 1 was rained off and day 2 was cancelled, it's been a splendidly balanced test match until about 6:00 pm on Sunday.

Much as I have been thrilled by the new dynamic England, I can’t help mourning the death of quality batting. Also, winning matches in England using a hooping Dukes ball on lively pitches is no preparation for games abroad where our 80mph attack and frenetic batting will be exposed.

8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Much as I have been thrilled by the new dynamic England, I can’t help mourning the death of quality batting. Also, winning matches in England using a hooping Dukes ball on lively pitches is no preparation for games abroad where our 80mph attack and frenetic batting will be exposed.

It's a strange one, Attacking play in a 5 day game where building an innings is where it starts, It's been a cracking summer to watch this new approach tho.

Going back in time, Boycott and Tavare were a laborious  pair to watch but hard to remove, There was a time when Boycott was so slow at the crease one time that a message was sent out to his batting partner too...run him out ?

I've quite enjoyed the summer but do feel like we have got away with a couple of matches thanks to some cracking innings'. 

Stokes is obviously leading by example but he's the most annoying to watch IMO - regardless of the match situation his approach is no different. Some really mindbogglingly 'what the hell is he doing' moments. But then we've won all but one so can I complain, really.

21 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I've quite enjoyed the summer but do feel like we have got away with a couple of matches thanks to some cracking innings'. 

Stokes is obviously leading by example but he's the most annoying to watch IMO - regardless of the match situation his approach is no different. Some really mindbogglingly 'what the hell is he doing' moments. But then we've won all but one so can I complain, really.

Ben Stokes is more like Botham (the legend) than Botham (the player) ever was.

• 2 months later...