Test Cricket is Back

sage

From the BBC Sport website:

England's leading wicket-taker James Anderson has returned to the top of the International Cricket Council's Test bowling rankings.

The seamer returned match figures of 7-54 in the first-Test win in New Zealand to end Australia captain Pat Cummins' four-year reign at the top.

At 40 years 207 days, Anderson is the oldest bowler to hold top spot since Australian Clarrie Grimmett in 1936.

It is the sixth time he has been number one, most recently in 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64730481

Just had a peep at the current top 20 and Ollie Robinson is now up to 4th, with Broad sat in 11th. Looking forward to seeing what Jofra can do now assuming he is fully over his injury woes. 

On 22/02/2023 at 17:46, 86 Hair Islands said:

From the BBC Sport website:

England's leading wicket-taker James Anderson has returned to the top of the International Cricket Council's Test bowling rankings.

The seamer returned match figures of 7-54 in the first-Test win in New Zealand to end Australia captain Pat Cummins' four-year reign at the top.

At 40 years 207 days, Anderson is the oldest bowler to hold top spot since Australian Clarrie Grimmett in 1936.

It is the sixth time he has been number one, most recently in 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64730481

Just had a peep at the current top 20 and Ollie Robinson is now up to 4th, with Broad sat in 11th. Looking forward to seeing what Jofra can do now assuming he is fully over his injury woes. 

The most surprising thing about this for me is that they had world rankings in 1936.

Jimmy Anderson though. What a player. Not as good a bowling action as me, but pretty good nonetheless.  I haven’t got grandchildren, but if I ever do, I’ll certainly be telling them about Jimmy! 

51 minutes ago, LazloW said:

The most surprising thing about this for me is that they had world rankings in 1936.

Jimmy Anderson though. What a player. Not as good a bowling action as me, but pretty good nonetheless.  I haven’t got grandchildren, but if I ever do, I’ll certainly be telling them about Jimmy! 

Quick Jimmy anecdote...

Did a road trip to Cornwall with my lad and the GF and Jimmy and Graham Swann and their partners were in the lodge next to ours. My lad was quite young and absolutely hero-worshipped Jimmy who I'd always thought was a bit of a mardy arse. One day, we're sat having a bite and a beer and Jimmy and Swanny are on the Flowrider right in front of us acting like a pair of absolute clowns. Neither could stand up on their boards for more than 2 seconds without completely wiping out so they took to 'surfing' on their stomachs whilst trying to smash each other off the waves. It was hilarious and they had everyone watching in stiches. After they'd stopped larking about, Jimmy did a photo and an autograph for the nipper too and turned out to be a proper good craic. 

Don't judge a book by the cover being the moral of the story! Lovely fella and yes, a legend in the truest sense of the word.

19 hours ago, LazloW said:

Probs not in the sense we understand them now. Wisden almanack maybe? thats been going for absolute ages......

anyone remember the Rothmans Football Yearbook? Similar sort of stat heavy tome that used to be published after every season.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Probs not in the sense we understand them now. Wisden almanack maybe? thats been going for absolute ages......

anyone remember the Rothmans Football Yearbook? Similar sort of stat heavy tome that used to be published after every season.

These?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314414777414?hash=item493494c446:g:U1wAAOSw4k5j4pJy&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsGIGG9no0nUp3PjnKTGcmJgMDmsxEZgnXuFjz4e8RFP1B%2BlUcMjzBuhDpqEo5denWzWl6jti6I4dGdOJ88NWh7LxFuNw5jFt0Zs6%2B4%2BS9r6oMR2BVwiJdOYlCe9sbhoX5lOQI1AIZPTS3Mtel9QtzZLsSRd0vUqvB5M3%2BGCUYdUOprj4rfmI0XYGQvhYofrxMXq%2Bnrv6xv8k%2FOQgOqEDzMTiLzoI7kWQUTo%2BhWF6fbrm|tkp%3ABk9SR7CI6b_QYQ

On 24/02/2023 at 13:56, Van der MoodHoover said:

I've got about 20 of them - and as many Wisdens. I used to set (and take part in) sports quizzes back in the 1970's and 1980's. I was very easy to buy birthday and Christmas presents for in those days.

Bugger. Umpire fails to call a wide to level the scores. Jimmy follows a ball speared down the leg side the very next ball and the Kiwis win by 1 run. Gutted, but a great test match. Not Jimmy's fault. Silly shots by Stokes and Root when absolutely cruising and the crazy run out of Brook before he'd faced a ball have let the Kiwis back into the game and they deserve something for their efforts. Test cricket still provides more drama than any other form by a country mile.

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Stokes getting pelters on SM for enforcing the follow-on. Crazy how quick sports 'fans' turn on players. We made mistakes and we probably should have won the game, but no need for the snarky BS. The same fans might be rueing his absence if this knee injury persists. 

We did make one mistake which at the time looked insignificant. 

We declared 1 ball into an over as Root got his 150. You may as well hit out and finish the over as days are measured by overs more than time.  

It's been a great ride under Stokes though.

Pretty gutting but I still think I'd far rather see the odd frustrating loss like this than safety first dull draws. Will always love proper Test Match Cricket and games like this do the image of the game no harm in countries where it is perhaps becoming less of a focus. On another day we win that and Stokes is a demi-god (well more of a demi-god..).

3 hours ago, sage said:

We did make one mistake which at the time looked insignificant. 

We declared 1 ball into an over as Root got his 150. You may as well hit out and finish the over as days are measured by overs more than time.  

It's been a great ride under Stokes though.

It has indeed. Had to remind myself of that fact last night to be honest. All out attack is glorious when it comes off, which it has pretty much every time. Sets up a pretty decent finale against a team whom I've admired for a while too. Kiwis play the game hard but in good spirit and even though I do think we should have had won this test, I don't begrudge them the win. 

• 2 months later...