v West Brom (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Just now, SaintRam said:

I like to take the moral of that story to be to constantly rely on your betters to fail.

? 

Or:

Consistent, effective effort leads to success. ?

Will tonight's commo from your good self be informed by any other Aesopian fables?

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

?

Or:

Consistent, effective effort leads to success. ?

Will tonight's commo from your good self be informed by any other Aesopian fables?

Not consciously; maybe some foibles.

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'd go for something similar.

Shinnie offers a bit more bite (and legs) than Rooney and I like the idea of Rooney being the link between midfield and attack.

Infact, the back 4 takes care of itself;

Bird and Shinnie 

Knight and Sibley on wings

Rooney in number 10 sat behind Martin.

Thing is Rooney hasn't looked as good or effective in a more advanced position for us and as a two with Bird he's the more deep laying one with Bird being the one who goes and links things together.

He can actually affect the game more from deep than he could pushed further forward right now, especially with how Martin plays they'd be on each other's toes and the pairing doesn't play to their strengths. Also moving him there means moving Sibley out of position which seems silly giving how effective he's been recently. 

Personally, fitness aside, I wouldn't touch the axis of Bird, Rooney and Sibley even slightly

Roos(Hamer has got his chance and missed it - cost us at least 3 goals the last 4 games)

Wisdom(Boogle too weak in defence and offer nothing going forward)

Evans(Our best player lately)

Clarke

Lowe(Forsyth too slow lately after the break)

Bird(Getting better and better but needs to shoot more to be a scorefread and as all most every Derby player needs to play and think faster to be able to create chances and better passes)

Knight(Has to get back playing in the middle of the park where he offers a lot of creability and can score goals)

Sibley

Rooney(Play as 10 upfront)

Whittaker(Now it's his chance to show what he can do together with all the other young guns)

Martin(Good hold up play and to create openings for others)

27 minutes ago, twinthe_12 said:

Roos(Hamer has got his chance and missed it - cost us at least 3 goals the last 4 games)

Clarke

Bird(Getting better and better but needs to shoot more to be a scorefread and as all most every Derby player needs to play and think faster to be able to create chances and better passes)

Knight(Has to get back playing in the middle of the park where he offers a lot of creability and can score goals)

Sibley

Whittaker(Now it's his chance to show what he can do together with all the other young guns)

Credit to Whittaker, he was scythed down for the free kick that led to the equaliser.

I really don't get all the desire to put Shinnie in (or some of the other similar changes that are being suggested).  Keeping the ball and moving it around quickly are what we're best at (the performance on Saturday notwithstanding).  Our best chance of stopping them scoring is keeping the ball.  Our best chance of scoring is through moving the ball around quickly and creating space.  If you take one of the passers out for Shinnie, you're disrupting all of that in the hope that we affect their performance more than it affects ours.  You're pretty much giving up before we even begin IMO.  I'd stick to pretty much the same XI as Saturday, give them a pre-match rollicking (to try and prevent another slow start), then get the ball, keep it, make them chase us as much as possible and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I really don't get all the desire to put Shinnie in (or some of the other similar changes that are being suggested).  Keeping the ball and moving it around quickly are what we're best at (the performance on Saturday notwithstanding).  Our best chance of stopping them scoring is keeping the ball.  Our best chance of scoring is through moving the ball around quickly and creating space.  If you take one of the passers out for Shinnie, you're disrupting all of that in the hope that we affect their performance more than it affects ours.  You're pretty much giving up before we even begin IMO.  I'd stick to pretty much the same XI as Saturday, give them a pre-match rollicking (to try and prevent another slow start), then get the ball, keep it, make them chase us as much as possible and see what happens.

We need to quieten the home fans (switch their TVs off) and not concede in the first 97 minutes, especially the 97th (Martintime).

WICKET

Sibley b Gabriel 0 (Eng 0-1)

With just the 10th delivery of the day, we have a wicket.

Having seen his opening partner leave one and just about get away with it in the previous over, Dom Sibley shoulders his arms and you hear that gorgeous sound of the ball hitting off stump. Terrible leave.

Derby through and through.. Knew he had to get back for kick-off.. 

I think its a myth Shinnie can't pass TBH, not as well as Rooney or Bird but plenty good enough to keep it moving. Hoping to see Jozefoon start today as we need an out and out winger with pace playing , Knight isn't a winger so should really only be played there to see out a game with his better defending in my eyes. Also hope to see Lowe start.

49 minutes ago, twinthe_12 said:

Clarke

Sibley

I'd keep Hamer. The goal against Reading almost entirely down to him but I'm still not convinced about the Forest goal.

I'd probably keep Forsyth rather than Lowe.

Is Wisdom fit? I very much doubt it.

Is there a question mark against Martin fitness?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I'd keep Hamer. The goal against Reading almost entirely down to him but I'm still not convinced about the Forest goal.

I'd probably keep Forsyth rather than Lowe.

Is Wisdom fit? I very much doubt it.

Is there a question mark against Martin fitness?

I think the forest one looked worse for the keeper than it was, think he was unsighted for the initial moment. Still should've done better perhaps.

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

A cup final every game , come on you rams 

This. In the unlikely event we do make the playoffs, we'll definitely be battle ready and the most in-form team all others will fear. It's great to be at this point where we still have a chance. Lose tonight and it's all but gone. I wouldn't take a draw if it were offered now as we really need wins, even when away to contenders for the automatic places.

I love Louie Sibley but I might rest him today, starting Shinnie and playing Rooney further forward. And then bringing Sibbo on to cause mayhem in the last half hour, bagging us a goal with a point to prove.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This. In the unlikely event we do make the playoffs, we'll definitely be battle ready and the most in-form team all others will fear. It's great to be at this point where we still have a chance. Lose tonight and it's all but gone. I wouldn't take a draw if it were offered now as we really need wins, even when away to contenders for the automatic places.

I love Louie Sibley but I might rest him today, starting Shinnie and playing Rooney further forward. And then bringing Sibbo on to cause mayhem in the last half hour, bagging us a goal with a point to prove.

How is it in anyway all but gone? Cardiff play Fulham next who they could easily drop point or loose too, Swansea have tough games, and we have Cardiff still to play. Technically we could loose the next 2 games and still get in the playoffs, its dependent on other sides results just as much as ours and considering we are 2 points off 6th with 6th to play I doubt it will be out of our hands if we loose today. Seems like people are being deliberately pessimistic to avoid disappointment to me,  after the Cardiff result on Saturday people thought it was over god knows how as we are competing for 6th with teams who are inconsistent and will drop a lot of points.

5 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

How is it in anyway all but gone? Cardiff play Fulham next who they could easily drop point or loose too, Swansea have tough games, and we have Cardiff still to play. Technically we could loose the next 2 games and still get in the playoffs, its dependent on other sides results just as much as ours and considering we are 2 points off 6th with 6th to play I doubt it will be out of our hands if we loose today. Seems like people are being deliberately pessimistic to avoid disappointment to me,  after the Cardiff result on Saturday people thought it was over god knows how as we are competing for 6th with teams who are inconsistent and will drop a lot of points.

At the moment it's in our hands in that if we win our remaining games we will finish 6th, lose tonight and we're starting to depend on what others do as well. A loss tonight doesn't end it, just leangenes the odds a bit.

51 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Credit to Whittaker, he was scythed down for the free kick that led to the equaliser.

Genuine question. Which equaliser are you talking about?

Against Forest nobody was scythed down for the equaliser. Wasn't somebody (might have been Whittaker, I can't remember now) just body checked/blocked off in a none threatening position? Our only other equaliser since the restart was Sibley and his dancing feet at Millwall.

Archived